Statin Pain

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’m getting on with my diabetes a lot better now using both a LC diet and metformin. I was given statins to take but I held off until I knew I could tolerate metformin.

I’ve taken the statins for about 4 days now and my left arm is in so much pain, I can’t really move it and certain parts are painful to touch. If feels like a really bad pulled muscle but seems spread across my upper arm. I havnt really done anything to pull it and it appeared to come following a BP test at home as I need to monitor that too for a bit.

What sort of pain do you get with statin related muscle pain? I have stopped the statin to see if it helps and will make an appointment to see the doc next week so just after a little advice until then.

Reactions: Freema

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When I first started taking statins I got muscle pain in my upper right arm and shoulder. Yours sounds worse.
I went to see my gp as suggested in the leaflet accompanying the statins. She said it might be due to something else, like straining my arm at work (I did a fairly physical job) or sleeping in an uncomfortable position, and said I should continue the statins.
I did, and the pain did get better after 3-4 weeks. I did stop taking the statins a few years later after being diagnosed T2 and feeling that the statins might have contributed to the rise in my bg levels.

Reading about cholesterol I believe that a higher level of cholesterol is better for older men. My total cholesterol did go up after I stopped taking the statins, but has since reduced, and although it's still higher than the NHS guidelines would want, at 5.6, the ratios are good.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@pau1200 ...

You could also get trembling in your left hand when outstretched and finger twitching. You've done the right thing in stopping them IMO. My bet is you'll recover within a week.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Several of my friends have had the same experiences when put on statins. One had immediate pain in her elbows and knees which stopped a fortnight later when she stopped taking the statins. Another friend is a man who walked the Pennine Way twice in his 60's. On statins he ended up barely able to walk. He stopped taking them and has slowly regained his mobility. Anecdotal tales but I could tell many more!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The general advice if you suffer muscle pain when starting statins is to stop them and see the GP. The pain can result from muscle destruction; not good. Why were you started on statins as they are not a diabetes drug? Statins are advised if your cholesterol Lipids ratios are not in a good range and the total cholesterol figure should not be used as the deciding factor. Make sure you have a fasting lipids 'panel' (blood test) and review the ratios with the GP to indicate whether you have a need for statins. There are one or two alternative drugs but if you have muscle pain you may have few options but to avoid any of them.

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, been a busy day today. I was put on statins at the same time as metformin because by chloresterol was slightly high and was told it was to protect my heart. I have stopped them and have made an appointment with my gp

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I took Atorvastatin and Metformin for just over a month and was in a dreadful state - the muscle in my lower left leg took eighteen months to recover to the state where I could walk up stairs normally. Even now I sometimes have to pull myself up the top two stairs if I have gone up and down a few times.
I can now pick up the knitting machines I take in for servicing, but it used to leave me shaking and exhausted as it felt as though all the strength had been sucked out of me.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
see the doc next week so just after a little advice until then.

On page 2 of the attached PDF under the section DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION, Merck Pharmaceutical were aware of the muscle pain problem as far back as 1989 (date of original application) caused by the prevention of the uptake of CoQ10, something else statins do apart from lower total cholesterol. You can print it off and take it with you in case you get any BS.

I had severe muscle pain for many years and put up with some idiotic excuses from my GP at that time. The pain I felt was very similar to that of a build up of lactic acid, the sort of thing that happens after you've walked 30 miles when previously you've never walked further than a few hundred yards.

Attachments

• Statin Patent Merck.pdf
    206.3 KB · Views: 331

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info, the pain is just unbearable, I can’t move my arm without severe pain and just touching the area between my arm and shoulder it’s like being stabbed. I havnt done anything to damage it apart from a blood pressure reading.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had awful pain in statins. After 26 days I could only crawl up the stairs - there was no way I could walk up them. The pharmacist was shocked that I hadn't come off them as soon as the pain started. He said 'don't let your doctor tell you that a severe reaction like this is unusual because it isn't '.

The consultant who prescribed me statins said that it would take 3 years to recover from the damage. It actually took seven years.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
What sort of pain do you get with statin related muscle pain? I have stopped the statin to see if it helps and will make an appointment to see the doc next week so just after a little advice until then.
Pau1200 you have answered your own question and I agree with your conclusion 100%. IMO you have a handle on your healthcare needs that is intelligent and educated, and with your own research.......I say Kudos to you! :)

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Again, thanks all for your comments and advice, having a support group like this is invaluable and has helped so much

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, been a busy day today. I was put on statins at the same time as metformin because by chloresterol was slightly high and was told it was to protect my heart. I have stopped them and have made an appointment with my gp
The total cholesterol figure is meaningless. The ratios of the different components, HDL, LDL and triglycerides are more relevant. Although my total cholesterol figure is higher than NHS guidelines (4.0 for Type 2 diabetics), my ratios are good.
You should find out your cholesterol breakdown figures from your GP surgery. Ask for a printout of your blood test results . They should be available online but you need to register with the surgery for online access.
You can work out the ratios by using this online calculator:
www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

If possible get this information before you see your gp. They often don't seem to know that the ratios are more important than the total cholesterol figure - mine didn't.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pau1200

When you see your doc, they may take various different routes - they could suggest a lower dose of the same statin, or a different statin, or they could suggest dietary changes instead of medication, plant sterols, etc. etc. It will depend on the doctor. But it will always be your choice, not theirs, and if they place you under any pressure, the following info may be helpful:

When your cholesterol hits a certain level (a level which varies depending on whether you have diabetes or not) NHS docs and nurses are required to offer you statins and record their offer on your records. If you say 'no' then they can simply record that on their screen, and move on.

Some members here have requested that they not be asked whether they want statins ever again, and that can be recorded on the screen too.

I have not yet been offered statins, but I feel that I have enough knowledge of the statin research and pro/con arguments to make a decision. Plus the fact that my body is the kind of body that produces food intolerances, drug contraindications and vitamin deficiencies at the drop of a hat. For me, taking statins would expose me to the risk of Q10 deficiency and contraindications that I simply don't need in my life, so I will expect any medical professional to respect that.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But it will always be your choice, not theirs, and if they place you under any pressure,
Wish everyone knew that,researched their illnesses themselves and everyone took total control of their healthcare.But for so many that just isnt doable for so many reasons and they get sub-optimal care because of that :( ...IMO FWIW.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It took a real concerted effort and dogged head shaking to get my GP to back down on his push to get me back on the statin that caused almost immediate pain in my case. It was one of the reasons I refused to see a HCP for over a year.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took a real concerted effort and dogged head shaking to get my GP to back down on his push to get me back on the statin that caused almost immediate pain in my case. It was one of the reasons I refused to see a HCP for over a year.
I went to VA for a yearly physical.They said they wanted to do a urinalysis,I ASKED...just a UA?She said yes.Instead it was a urine DRUG SCREEN.While I passed,it was a dirty trick and I was flat out lied to. If the Government wants to drug test me they dang well better have a warrant!What the heck else are they doing with my labs without my CONSENT??
While I can get free lab tests there,I pay cash and go to a private lab,who I can trust (I think).I keep VA ONLY for catastrophic illness now.
Once you have lost trust the relationship is over.I looked her straight in the eyes and she lied to me.I dont trust them now as far as I can throw them.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I went to VA for a yearly physical.They said they wanted to do a urinalysis,I ASKED...just a UA?She said yes.Instead it was a urine DRUG SCREEN.While I passed,it was a dirty trick and I was flat out lied to. If the Government wants to drug test me they dang well better have a warrant!What the heck else are they doing with my labs without my CONSENT??
While I can get free lab tests there,I pay cash and go to a private lab,who I can trust (I think).I keep VA ONLY for catastrophic illness now.
Once you have lost trust the relationship is over.I dont trust them now as far as I can throw them.
It wasn't the lipid tests that I objected to it was the constant nagging to the point of bullying that I had a problem with. There were other reasons too but it was the push for statin that put the tin hat on stuff. I think I must now have a reputation for being awkward. That is their problem, they can use other people for their tick box exercises.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't the lipid tests that I objected to it was the constant nagging to the point of bullying that I had a problem with. There were other reasons too but it was the push for statin that put the tin hat on stuff. I think I must now have a reputation for being awkward. That is their problem, they can use other people for their tick box exercises.
Cant agree more.When I refused the flu shot they wrote in my record...NON COMPLIANT! You better believe I'm NON COMPLIANT.They also tried to push the statins on me,that isnt happening in this lifetime.
I call the shots on my body as far as I can and for as long as I can under existing law.They treat folks like uninformed children,Im not.I spent 42 years working in healthcare,I have a real good clue whats going on.And I certainly have more experience than a Dr who just graduated from med school...new grads are scary ( I worked in a training hospital,among others). In my informed opinion.BTDT,have the Tee shirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler