liver question

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - I'm Type 2 and have been low carbing for 4 months. During the day, from about mid-morning, my glucose levels are absolutely fine and I feel that my low carb eating is going well. However, as soon as it gets to night-time (around 10pm ) my liver seems to go mad and produces glucose which I don't need so that I get readings of between 9 and 12 overnight (I check it if I wake up in the night). Blood tests 3 months ago show liver enzymes slightly raised and GGT of 87.
What can I do to improve the health of my liver?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Low carb is a good choice for liver health. Being they were 3 months ago, maybe have them looked at again? There are many reasons for elevated levels.... foods that your liver doesn't like, illness (Colds, infections) over the counter medications for pain relief can raise them and so can other drugs. Also issues related to diabetes. Fatty liver etc. I'd stick with the low carb approach and see what future levels show.

Your liver does appear to be dumping at a really poor time. I used to drink apple cidar vinegar late at night with a small piece of cheddar cheese before bed and seemed to help for me. But, you know what they say, what works for one doesn't for another.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb is a good choice for liver health. Being they were 3 months ago, maybe have them looked at again? There are many reasons for elevated levels.... foods that your liver doesn't like, illness (Colds, infections) over the counter medications for pain relief can raise them and so can other drugs. Also issues related to diabetes. Fatty liver etc. I'd stick with the low carb approach and see what future levels show.

Your liver does appear to be dumping at a really poor time. I used to drink apple cidar vinegar late at night with a small piece of cheddar cheese before bed and seemed to help for me. But, you know what they say, what works for one doesn't for another.
Thank you Tophat, you've given me a number of things to think about.

Reactions: Tophat1900

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you eating for your evening meal?
I'm eating a combination of fat, protein and vegetables (avoiding the starchy stuff) and no added carbs. I'm wondering if I'm having too much protein so maybe the next thing to try is cutting portion sizes of meat/fish. However, the glucose levels at night don't seem to correlate with anything - it's just like my liver is having this mad glucose party at night!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm eating a combination of fat, protein and vegetables (avoiding the starchy stuff) and no added carbs. I'm wondering if I'm having too much protein so maybe the next thing to try is cutting portion sizes of meat/fish. However, the glucose levels at night don't seem to correlate with anything - it's just like my liver is having this mad glucose party at night!
I wonder if skipping your evening meal for a couple of days would show a difference? Could be worth an experiment maybe?

Reactions: mariavontrapp

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Have you ever had to work a nights on a regular basis? Our bodies do have a clock and a memory and your liver may be reacting to a 'learned' need from the past. Just an idea and it may just take time to correct. I sometimes have a snack of cheese and a mini-pepperoni at night when I take a Metformin this seems to help slow the production of unnecessary glucose until I get a dawn phenomenon nearly every day.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke

Could they correlate with running low on glucose in the middle of the night, known as dawn phenomenon? You may need to take extra blood glucose measurements in the middle of the night to check.

https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/diabetes-resources/definitions/dawn-phenomenon/

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever had to work a nights on a regular basis? Our bodies do have a clock and a memory and your liver may be reacting to a 'learned' need from the past. Just an idea and it may just take time to correct. I sometimes have a snack of cheese and a mini-pepperoni at night when I take a Metformin this seems to help slow the production of unnecessary glucose until I get a dawn phenomenon nearly every day.
I haven't worked at night, but I did have chronic insomnia for years, so maybe that's a factor