My Issue with Carbs...

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a few days I had to go back on carbs in order to not "falsify" some blood works related to glucose and cortisol, so I did that.
Having not "cheated" for more than a year this had a massive impact on me and brought back most of the symptoms that were defining me as pre-diabetic before I undertook LCHF 6 years ago.

here's a report of what happened but most importantly I'd like to ask and understand:
has anyone managed to get their GP to look into Insulin values rather than just Glucose?
It seems insane to me that they will look at glucose / hba1c only when clearly the insulin amount showing insulin resistance should be the issue?

If you got your GP to test you for it, how did you manage? I have been dismissed and discounted when I asked for that and it made me feel so hopeless and pointless.

If after almost 6 years on a ketogenic diet, I go back eating carbs for 3 days and it immediately shows Reactive Hypos and lower glucose again, that shows my Insulin Resistance was better just or as long as I had my glucose intake under control. Yet they would just look at the glucose and see "it' fine."

I could have dawn effect that put my fasted BG in the 6s mmol, but onc arbs, it was down to 4/5s and so everybody was happy without realising that meant I was clearly still hyperinsulinemic.

How to tackle this terrible misunderstanding by doctors?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think a few members here have had their insulin levels tested, doing the at home test which costs a bit. One way of doing things when a gp refuses to help.

M

Member496333

The moment doctors begin waking up to insulin is the moment “we” open Pandora’s Box. Too many have too much to lose for this to change at anything quicker than a glacial pace. Cereal sales would plummet. On the plus side we would quickly discover (“studies say”) that Metformin makes you immortal and improves sexual performance.

I decided a while ago to undertake and manage my own blood work. The NHS (as I use it) just doesn’t have the will or capacity. The standard of care is so lopsided it’s not worth the effort and stress arguing with a GP.

Reactions: poemagraphic

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find many members on here agree with you, but sadly the NHS is very reluctant to do these tests, and doesn't seem to grasp the importance. There are some private testing labs that will do it, and several members have done just that.

Reactions: poemagraphic

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will find many members on here agree with you, but sadly the NHS is very reluctant to do these tests, and doesn't seem to grasp the importance. There are some private testing labs that will do it, and several members have done just that.
Ok this is the next step I'd be looking into then. I looked going private to see an endocrinologist who would prescribe an Insulin + glucose OGTT but that's in the reason of £500 between consultation and tests, so any alternative for more affordable price would be invaluable to me if you know any

M

Member496333

There are some private testing labs that will do it, and several members have done just that.

Medichecks will do a fasting insulin test for ~£40. Had it done recently and just used my own glucose reading - drawn at the same moment - in order to calculate HOMA-IR. It’s £40 I’d rather have spent on coke and hookers, but for peace of mind it’s a worthy expense for those interested in their metabolic status.

Obviously that doesn’t excuse the farcical refusal of our NHS to even acknowledge the existence of insulin. Isn’t that just something that those type 1 folks use? :shifty:

Reactions: 1spuds

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
Agree with all the comments above.

I use Thriva (link in Bulkbiker's post) and if I recall correctly, it cost just £8 to add a fasting insulin test to the other tests I was having done (Vit B12, Vit D, Folate, Ferritin, HbA1c, Thyroid, Liver, inflammatory markers, etc).

They offer a repeating service, so you can specify whether you want tests every 3, 6 or 12 months, and you are free to cancel, or move the dates forward and back, or just do a one off test.

Reactions: ketointheuk

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with testing fasting Insulin is that unless the result is very low or very high it is not conclusive. Fasting Insulin is a static measurement and says nothing about how Insulin varies with demand. Anyone on a very low carb diet is almost bound to have a low fasting Insulin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with testing fasting Insulin is that unless the result is very low or very high it is not conclusive. Fasting Insulin is a static measurement and says nothing about how Insulin varies with demand. Anyone on a very low carb diet is almost bound to have a low fasting Insulin.

I would agree with you for people with ‘normal’ metabolisms and ‘normal’ insulin resistance.

But for those with severe insulin resistance (like many T2)s, the fasting insulin test can give a very good gauge of how well our bodies are dealing with the number of carbs we eat, whatever that carb intake might be.

In my case, I am on a keto way of eating, typically under 10g of carbs a day. Yet my fasting insulin was in a little below the middle of the normal range. Definitely not as low as your theory would suggest.

Getting that test result was a very valuable and clear indication of my ongoing insulin resistance (which is not diet related) and highly motivating for me. Imagine how my insulin resistance would rise if I increased to 20 or even 50g carbs a day... it really wouldn’t take much to go back to very large amounts of insulin and insulin resistance.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
The moment doctors begin waking up to insulin is the moment “we” open Pandora’s Box. Too many have too much to lose for this to change at anything quicker than a glacial pace. Cereal sales would plummet. On the plus side we would quickly discover (“studies say”) that Metformin makes you immortal and improves sexual performance.

I decided a while ago to undertake and manage my own blood work. The NHS (as I use it) just doesn’t have the will or capacity. The standard of care is so lopsided it’s not worth the effort and stress arguing with a GP.

Jim the more of your posts I read the more I learn... and I am so pleased to have found somebody who thinks along similar lines to me.
Po

Reactions: Member496333

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Medichecks will do a fasting insulin test for ~£40. Had it done recently and just used my own glucose reading - drawn at the same moment - in order to calculate HOMA-IR. It’s £40 I’d rather have spent on coke and hookers, but for peace of mind it’s a worthy expense for those interested in their metabolic status.

Obviously that doesn’t excuse the farcical refusal of our NHS to even acknowledge the existence of insulin. Isn’t that just something that those type 1 folks use? :shifty:

I hope that's diet 'coke'

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I like Medichecks. I have had HS-CRP, Fasting Insulin and other tests. I was able to get blood draws from ahem Colchester General (I have had bad family experiences here, but the blood draw was efficient). I have also been to Medichecks clinic near Bond Street in London - this facility frankly shows how a service should run. Don't get me wrong I believe in the NHS but mismanagement drove my wife out and I believe in prevention where possible.