Travelling with Type 1 Diabetes

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’m travelling overseas for the first time with type 1 diabetes, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what to expect and things I need to make sure I do before I leave? I’m going to Malaysia, flying with Air Malaysia.

I know how much I need to take with me to cover travel in regards to insulin, needles etc, but I’m not sure what my Drs letter needs to say, do I need to go through ‘something to declare’? Is it safe for all of my diabetes supplies to go through the scanners?

Malaysia is a strict country with things like medication so I just want to make sure I cover all the bases! I would hate arriving at the airport only to be turned away!

If you have any other useful advice for travelling with type 1 diabetes I’d really appreciate it too!

Thank you :)

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you got a Frio wallet if that’s how it’s spelt? I used to live in Ibiza 6 months a year when I was a Dj. I also used it when I went on holiday to Majorca years before to keep my insulin nice and cool till I got to the fridge in the apartment.

I had a letter from my gp saying I was diabetic and carrying my medicines with me. Insulin needs to be kept with you on the plane as well as the hold will freeze your insulin and ruin it. I use a separate small cooler bag with my Frio wallet inside that. Dounble cooling protection. That isn’t my hand luggage either. You can take both with you, I’ve never had any trouble once they know it’s medicine.

Other than that enjoy your holiday and take plenty of dextros with you.

Reactions: Dodo and SimonCrox

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check out the JDRF guide to travelling with type 1 - https://jdrf.org.uk/information-support/living-with-type-1-diabetes/everyday-life/travelling/

You need to pack all medical supplies in your carry on bag. They are fine to go through scanners but shouldn't go in the hold as this will freeze & kill your insulin. You will need to tell them at check in desk that you do have something sharp in your carry on bag, because you will have needles. If you're carrying food into Malaysia you might need to go through a separate security check, depends what their rules are. I know when I went to Australia I had to go down the aisle for a dog sniff check because I d dextrose tablets with me. But insulin isn't something to declare for import purposes.

Your doctors letter just needs to confirm you have type 1 diabetes and require treatment with injectable insulin.

Reactions: SimonCrox

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In general, when travelling overseas, make sure you know how to say 'I am diabetic', 'I need a doctor', 'I need sugar' in the language of your destination. When you get there, find somewhere you can get supplies if you need. Make sure you put your supplies in your carry on luggage, firstly for safety (insulin at the right temp) and secondly so you can access them during the flight if need be. If you use a pump or CGM, check in the manual, but often you are told not to take them through scanners. Meters can go through ok.

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I’m travelling overseas for the first time with type 1 diabetes, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what to expect and things I need to make sure I do before I leave? I’m going to Malaysia, flying with Air Malaysia.

I know how much I need to take with me to cover travel in regards to insulin, needles etc, but I’m not sure what my Drs letter needs to say, do I need to go through ‘something to declare’? Is it safe for all of my diabetes supplies to go through the scanners?

Malaysia is a strict country with things like medication so I just want to make sure I cover all the bases! I would hate arriving at the airport only to be turned away!

If you have any other useful advice for travelling with type 1 diabetes I’d really appreciate it too!

I've just arrived in Gran Caneria first time traveling since being diagnosed.
No where as nice as Malaysia lol.
Got some some really good advice on here, regarding contact GP for a letter which I did only to be told they would charge me £25 for the pleasure.
I contacted my diabetic team at the hospital and I told them I was going away and they sent me one.
It basically said that I am diabetic and need to carry needles and insulin which must not go in the hold.
I also purchase a FRIO pouch which gave me peace of mind that my extra insulin would be kept cool.
Hope this helps.

Lastly have a lovely holiday

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been travelling abroad ever since I became type 1 over 34 years ago. I make sure I take more than enough supplies that I will need, and carry everything in my hand luggage. I also have a Dr's letter. I have never once in any country had my hand luggage checked even after it goes through the x ray machine and shows up the phials of insulin and the spare novo pen needles.

Reactions: SimonCrox

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I travel frequently with work, at least one overseas trip each month. I used to carry a Doctors letter, but it disintegrated! If I was going to the Middle East or somewhere else with very strict drug and medication rules I would get another one.

My medical kit has been inspected a few times; the security people have always been familiar with blood test meters and insulin pens. I often check in online, so I just turn up with the kit unannounced. So far I have never had a problem, even in Turkey.

As said, don't let your insulin go in the hold, and use a Frio pouch of you're going somewhere hot. Otherwise it's just common sense. I always take an extra week's worth of insulin in case of problems with flights or if I have to stay longer unexpectedly.

D

Deleted Account

Some great advice above.
The only thing I would add is to think about when you will be taking your basal insulin.
Something like Lantus is usually taken every 24 hours. Will that mean you will need to wake up in the middle of the night to take it in Malaysia?
There are different ways of handling this but the one I found easiest for me was to start moving my basal time a couple of hours a day for the week before I left the UK so, when I arrived in Malaysia (or wherever I was going) I would be taking it at a reasonable time. If I was stopping off en route, I would not bother with adjusting for a stop over: just ensure my Lantus was taken every 22 to 26 hours apart.

And have an amazing time ... whether this is a holiday or working trip, Malaysia is amazing.

tawsy1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cant stand people who think they know it all
Been travelling abroad ever since I became type 1 over 34 years ago. I make sure I take more than enough supplies that I will need, and carry everything in my hand luggage. I also have a Dr's letter. I have never once in any country had my hand luggage checked even after it goes through the x ray machine and shows up the phials of insulin and the spare novo pen needles.
Hi,could you tell me if insulin is effected by cabin pressure, and is it OK to take glucojuice on board,thanks

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The best advice i received was to scan my letter from the doctor when i got it. That means i can print off a new copy whenever i go abroad

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,could you tell me if insulin is effected by cabin pressure, and is it OK to take glucojuice on board,thanks

I have never seen any problems with cabin pressure. Liquids that are not prescribed medicines will be subject to the same rules as any other liquids.

I always carry fruit pastilles - they are very fast-acting and you can take them anywhere.

Reactions: tawsy1

dmfinch

Hi,

Hello,

I traveled to New Zealand when I was just diagnosed with Type 1. I am American, and traveled from Boston.

First, don't expect the airline to refrigerate your insulin. They will give you ice to place in your own cold bag if you ask.

Second, I had never reached the low glucose level as I had on that long journey, so keep a close eye on your glucose levels during flights. Of course I traveled for 23 hours door to door, and had not even used an insulin needle yet. Quite a learning experience.

My doctor wrote a letter stating the I had Type 1, and had to carry insulin.

The x-ray doesn't affect insulin from what I've read, so I didn't worry about it. Let me know if I was wrong.

I carried that letter with me (copies of it) in my waste pack at all times, and had phone numbers for contacts in New Zealand who knew about my diabetes (like emergency contacts). That made me feel better, though never needed them. If something happened, my waste pack would be the first thing someone would look at---so I went over the top on info they would need.

I love Malaysia.

I've been there. Take care and don't worry. I spent six weeks in NZ without an issue.

Emirp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dull, uninspiring people.
A copy of your repeat prescription is always handy, just in case something goes wrong with your medication. I used to carry insulin in a home made polystyrene box that served me through some of the warmest countries only once did it let me down, that's when the copy of my prescription came in use. Never ever had any problem going through security everyone seemed to recognise the medication I was carrying that included such places as Vietnam, Cambodia, Zimbabwe & Indonesia. I would also endorse the comment regarding dextrose.

kazam401

On a recent trip to Rome I was unfortunately pulled to one side at Manchester Airport & spoken to in a very abrupt & rude way regarding my insulin, needles & other medication when going through security. All my stuff was in a separate bag as usual but they got onto a right hump with me because it wasn't in a clear bag. I was told I should have know this before trying to go through security & made to feel somewhat belittled. On the flight home at Rome Airport my medication was as I normally take it & at security I was politely asked if it was possible to check my medication by a very nice Italian security lady. So just be aware it seems some security personnel at Manchester Airport do not do customer relations very well.

Reactions: Tom.thomas61

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had a problem with insulin etc at Manchester - they're normally too busy sulking about the electronic paraphernalia :)

Last time I just took everything out and put it in trays - batteries, cameras, cables, laptop, phone, libre reader, etc. The pens might have gone in loose too, but the needle + vial collection probably stayed in the bag. They did ask what the spare libre sensors were, but accepted "spare libre sensors" as an answer without any special fuss.

kazam401

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was March this year & I wasn't the only one getting grief about things at that time. Manchester Airport security staff leave a LOT to be desired regarding customer care & compassion & they obviously have learnt nothing after reading that link.

Luck of the draw I guess - I went at the end of February this year, and nobody mentioned anything about plastic bags to me for insulin. Toothpaste etc went in my hold bag though. A quick "What's that" for the libre sensors in their sealed boxes, also a bit of a pushy "go there and start putting things in trays" (not entirely obvious that it's two or three people unpacking at the same time per line) but generally not too bad.

The year before they didn't like my laptop battery, so had to be rescanned. I then sat there for a while (quite a long time) waiting for it till I thought "hmm, getting quite close to boarding", and said "where's my bag?". They couldn't find it. Fortunately after a bit of wandering around I spotted it waiting at another line. I think we were close to last on the plane :)

Oslo OTOH are a pleasure to deal with - friendly, not pushy. It makes a real difference.

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Insulin isn't affected by cabin pressure, but the pump may be, see article below.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE77I6EU20110819

Also, if you have a pump that connects to a meter wirelessly like some of the Medtronics, you are supposed to put the pump in aeroplane mode.

Glucojuice - you will probably find you can't take containers of more than 100ml on, even diabetic stuff. Try Hypostop gel instead?