Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted Account

Nice idea and I could have been tempted if I had a bit more time to train and it wasn't the day after my Brother in law's 40th birthday in Newcastle.

Good luck to you and your fellow type 1 runners in your record attempt.

Reactions: Juicyj

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The run doesn't interest me that much, but I can answer "What's my running strategy". Put one leg in front of the other, repeat till at the finish line :)

Libre so I can test while moving.
Jelly babies in case things go low - I'd take at least 80g with me for a half marathon.
I'll normally eat something about half way round on that distance if doing it in my own time. A race might well need more food - the travel, time of day as well as the pace all make a difference.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I was hoping @Type1Bri would be about for some tips, I know my current strategy with lo carb isn't sustainable, but need to get balance right with longer runs and having more glycogen on board to keep me going, so definitely considering it :)

Reactions: Jaylee

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Running strategy...

I would start with no insulin on board (but need breakfast, so would get up early so it's out of my system by start time). I'd have a small amount of really fast acting carbs just before the start e.g. small mixer can of Coke and turn my pump down to 10% of normal basal. Then keep monitoring, having put a large bag of jelly babies in my pocket. I can normally get to 4-5 miles before needing some. Aim is to keep bs at 5-6 mmol for max performance, given lag of Libre sensor, might need to do this when it reads 7ish. As I push on through the race, will need a couple of jelly

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
babies every 3 or so miles. And then at finish, a bolus of a unit or so to make up for stopped basal.

Sorry, pressed send too quickly!