Type 1'stars R Us

LyndsayM

New here but thought I’d give you all a laugh. My medical bracelet arrived, seems I am even more of a rarity than I thought View attachment 32948

Attachments

• C8F40A80-7E99-43C0-966F-F4E6A00E0DCA.jpg
    C8F40A80-7E99-43C0-966F-F4E6A00E0DCA.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 189

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Quick question for "the experts".
When my BG gets low, my partner tells me I get a tad stubborn (even more than usual) and don't want to eat or drink anything.
Is there a safe glucose injection?

This will be used in absolute emergencies.
From what I've learned, and checking the clinical practice guidelines, all I can find is that 10% glucose solution needs to be via IV - it states IM or subcutaneous injections as specific contra-indications. I suspect you'd be more reluctant to get cannulated than to eat or drink...

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I would be wary of "glucose injections" because if you are getting stubborn etc then someone coming towards you with an injection pen I think will put you into fight mode, certainly would with me, as you may think he is trying to inject more insulin....

Your reaction is not unusual, bit like me and @porl the small 5 year old ;) The best thing I would advise is for your other half not to get narky and to stay calm and try to treat you a little like a child plus something sweet and tasty is more likely to get you eat something.

Hope that helps :)
As opposed to just lobbing Jaffa cakes at you from a safe distance?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
When my BG gets low, my partner tells me I get a tad stubborn (even more than usual) and don't want to eat or drink anything.

The only ‘safe’ injection I know of is glucagon. The difficulty is knowing how much to put in as an OD of glucagon’s utterly meh. Himindoors used to use half, wait and see, and the last half only if there was no improvement after half an hour. Not needed for a few years now but in the bad old no libre and blunt dosing days it was invaluable.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . Once and only once did my OH give me a glucagon injection whilst I was having quite a bad hypo.
Yes it worked as in it got me back to the land of the living:):). Problem was it made me unbelievably sick, couldn’t stop vomiting for what felt like an eternity which in turn made trying to eat anything all the more difficult.
Along with what @Knikki says I now rely on my better half’s experience and judgement gained over the years to do the right thing. She knows not to be pushy, bossy or even over talkative as all these things frustrate me and subsequently make the hypo worse. I think if our OH’s do get us out of a hypo a big thank you and a special treat is the order of the day.:):)

Reactions: WuTwo

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
When I am VERY low my other half reckons I am like a petulant 6 year old! Don't even know what petulant means, so how can I be it :hilarious::hilarious:. BUT she tries to coax me to test my blood OR eat some jelly babies. I can be very hard work.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Extra bonus points for catching lobbed hypo treatments in the mouth, and then there's the fail-safe option of shaking a can of lucozade and scooshing a jet-stream of it towards the face from 3 yards away.

I don't know why this stuff is not already in the DAFNE hypo guidance...

Reactions: Fairygodmother

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Oh no, that means @porl69 will be cleaning his computer again!
I hope he doesn't make a mess on today's frock.

Not got me frock on today....in a garage.... the VW would get covered in oil......Stopped drinking tea and eating food while reading comments on here now (learned my lesson the hard way) :hilarious::hilarious:

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Off to my yearly Coeliac hospital appointment very soon. I am so tired, so want to get the bus but I should walk there and back, it's good exercise.
Maybe it's the colder weather...............

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
It's gone all cloudy and the air smells like rain is on the way. Won't do any harm - cleans the pavements, if nothing else. But it will send all the plants and grass a rich beautiful green again. Looking forward to taking the dogs out tomorrow. They went to the woods today, so maybe an open field area in the morning.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just choked on my Prosecco! Well it is Friday! This thread is so the place to cheer you up. Had a laugh at swim fit too, had to wear a spongy doughnut thingy over both ankles with a float between thighs and swim 12 lengths. Much hilarity! Sorry folks weather here in Leeds has been brilliant, sunny, warm and excellent drying weather. A lovely relatively carb free lunch, washed down with a G&T, a glass of red (large) and a Prosecco. and sat on a 4.5 happy days. Have a great (hiccup!) weekend fellow toilers!

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Apparently 50g of IV glucose is the standard medical "get you out of a hypo quick" treatment - Dr friend said it's pretty much an instant fix. Trouble is it can go wrong - not the too much glucose thing, but the IV bit of the injection, so you need to be properly medically trained. (the idea is the too much glucose bit can be sorted out when you've come round). I don't think I'd recommend it.

I've only had the glucagon when unconscious - if conscious, even though I may be reluctant, I can be eventually persuaded to eat.

It's another thing that the libre helps with - settles the "am I hypo" question really quickly, so no "You're low" "No I'm not" "Yes you are" argument required - I'll believe the numbers and do something about it.