HbA1c results using Sitagliptin

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My blood sugar levels had crept up to 49 so I was put on Sitagliptin 50mg on Jul 3rd 2018. Improvement on Oct 12th HbA1c 44.
I have just had the result of my 10th May HbA1c check and its down to 39. So quite happy as I was not expecting to be as good.
Anyway any thoughts if this result suggests I can see about coming off medication or best to see how things go? I don't really know how much the Sitagliptin makes a difference. Its always good to take less drugs, though I think this has had less side effect than all others tried previously.

Last edited:

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
My blood sugar levels had crept up to 49 so I was put on Sitagliptin 50mg on Jul 3rd 2018. Improvement on Oct 12th HbA1c 42.
I have just had the result of my 10th May HbA1c check and its down to 39. So quite happy as I was not expecting to be as good.
Anyway any thoughts if this result suggests I can see about coming off medication or best to see how things go? I don't really know how much the Sitagliptin makes a difference. Its always good to take less drugs, though I think this has had less side effect than all others tried previously.
Apparently Sitagliptin is usually accredited with at the most a 0.8% reduction in HBA1C from what I can see.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugar levels had crept up to 49 so I was put on Sitagliptin 50mg on Jul 3rd 2018. Improvement on Oct 12th HbA1c 42.

very well done.... at what is your daily level of carb intake in grams , do you do lower than 100 grams a day ?

Robo42

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
very well done.... at what is your daily level of carb intake in grams , do you do lower than 100 grams a day ?
Not much of an idea for carbs intake. Main things I follow are 4% sugar or less on food items. Also only oat cereals, hardly any bread(wheat free if poss), the odd sweet potato & some basmati rice. I found on testing that I seem to handle carbs better for evening meal so quite good during the day.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much of an idea for carbs intake. Main things I follow are 4% sugar or less on food items. Also only oat cereals, hardly any bread(wheat free if poss), the odd sweet potato & some basmati rice. I found on testing that I seem to handle carbs better for evening meal so quite good during the day.
many of those counting their carb level can get back to totally normal level like an HbA1c under 44, many even in the 30´ties

like in the green area of this scheme
50shades - Copy.png

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sitagliptin works by keeping your glucagon (insulin's counterpart) levels higher allowing you to better deal with your glucose.
So if you stopped taking it you'd lose that effect and your blood sugars would rise again especially since you are still eating plenty of glucose (carbohydrates).
I know that everyone measures success by their blood sugars but it would be worth asking your GP if this drug will help reverse your insulin resistance? Does it have a good track record in preventing the complications of type 2 (heart and kidney disease, neuropathy tec.)? How likely would you be to need more drugs further down the line?
Alternatively, you could look to reduce your intake of glucose as a proven way to put your type 2 into remission. You will find plenty of testimonials to this last approach but it has to be something you are willing to do having considered all the options.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on getting your HbA1c down to non-diabetic levels. :)

As for sitagliptin, we can't advise you one way or the other. You must make that decision yourself after discussing it with your nurse. She may be happy for you to try without it for 3 months to see what happens, but my guess is you would have to be more careful with your carbs if you come off it.