Creatinine

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Advice please. I was told my urine creatinine level was raised. Diabetic nurse said it was 24 and it should be below 20. It is being repeated, waiting for the result. Anyone know what this really means?
I’m type 3c on insulin and pancreatic insufficient on croen.

SimonCrox

Hi, it is unusual to measure the creatinine level in the urine, but it is common to measure the albumin or protein leak from the kidneys by comparing these levels to the level of creatinine in the urine'; the other way to measure albumin and protein in the urine is to collect the urine for 24 hours which is a real pain, and then someone throws away the collection!

It would be helpful to double check what was measured,

The NHS website on this says look at the local reference ranges - helpful; but Gloucester NHS trust does have some useful info:-
https://www.gloshospitals.nhs.uk/ou...ne-ratio-acr-and-proteincreatinine-ratio-pcr/

If it is an albumin:creatinine ratio or similar and it is 4 above the top of the reference range, then it might actually flip back into the reference range on retesting.
If you do have a small amount of protein in your urine, then drugs such as ACE inhibitors in Type 1 amd ARBs & Ace inhibitors help in Type 2 diabetes (OK - I accept that the studies have not been done in T3c diabetes).

One is not allowed to suggest treatment or diagnoses here, but I think that things are probably under control, one needs to get the repeat test done and take a copy of the result from the nurse to see what they are measuring.

best wishes.