From pre-diabetic to type 2

dpoet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to try and do my bit to turn the tide.
Yeah my meter should be here next week, I've got loads of carbs in the cupboard and freezer, jumbo oats, rice, frozen chips, butter beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, harricot beans, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta and spaghetti.
My diet was high carb low meat, I will need to change a lot.
I am going to go to Desmond as I don't want the Doctor to think I'm resistant to change.
My favourite meal was lasagne, chips and garlic bread. I bet causes a spike.
Trouble is cant see how I will get enough fibre, my Doc said I should be eating 28 grams when he was worried about my cholesterol, and diet.
Where do I get all the nutrients I normally get from fruit?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah my meter should be here next week, I've got loads of carbs in the cupboard and freezer, jumbo oats, rice, frozen chips, butter beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, harricot beans, wholemeal bread, wholemeal pasta and spaghetti.
I am going to go to Desmond as I don't want the Doctor to think I'm resistant to change.
Trouble is cant see how I will get enough fibre, my Doc said I should be eating 28 grams when he was worried about my cholesterol, and diet.

The only thing in fruit is possibly a bit of Vit c. The rest is completely unnecessary.

May I ask why you value your doctors opinion so much? S/he doesn’t seem all that knowledgeable.

All the dietary knowledge you’ve been given over the years has been disproven over and over. Why not just try eating a low carb diet for 30 days and see how you get on.

Reactions: JohnH2019

dpoet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing in fruit is possibly a bit of Vit c. The rest is completely unnecessary.

May I ask why you value your doctors opinion so much? S/he doesn’t seem all that knowledgeable.

All the dietary knowledge you’ve been given over the years has been disproven over and over. Why not just try eating a low carb diet for 30 days and see how you get on.
I'm 61 and always relied on my Doctors advice, no other choice when I was younger, no internet.
Yeah I am dropping most of the carbs, but I am only 48 on the blood test so I am hoping I dont have to give up half my diet.
I dont eat a lot of meat, usually have some kind of fish twice a week. Lots of fruit and veg.
I've just made up a spreadsheet for test results and diet diary, I can then see over a period of time everything I've eaten and the effect.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 61 and always relied on my Doctors advice, no other choice when I was younger, no internet.
Yeah I am dropping most of the carbs, but I am only 48 on the blood test so I am hoping I dont have to give up half my diet.
I dont eat a lot of meat, usually have some kind of fish twice a week. Lots of fruit and veg.
I've just made up a spreadsheet for test results and diet diary, I can then see over a period of time everything I've eaten and the effect.

I’m only 58, 3 years younger than you! No need to eat meat if you don’t want to, lots of fish, full fat dairy, green veggies, eggs, salad, nuts and seeds should do it but if you can eat meat you enjoy, that would expand your diet nicely.

dpoet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m only 58, 3 years younger than you! No need to eat meat if you don’t want to, lots of fish, full fat dairy, green veggies, eggs, salad, nuts and seeds should do it but if you can eat meat you enjoy, that would expand your diet nicely.
I've learned a lot so far on this forum , nurse just gave me some leaflets. I was told to use Glycemic index for diet, and not to give up any food, just change to low GI, wholemeal bread instead of white and similar.
Why are GP practices giving out of date and unhelpful advice?
I've upped my excercise as well, difficult as I can only walk 120 yards without severe pain, I just stand still for five minutes til pain stops then carry on. I've walked two and a half miles today.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the hot summer last year I often had a salad - a pack of ready make leaves, celery, cucumber, radish, tomato, coleslaw, walnuts a glug of olive oil and wine vinegar dressing, with boiled eggs and cheese.
If you are concerned about fibre a spoonful of psyllium husk added to the salad should be sufficient, it is certainly not worth risking high blood glucose with all that might bring in order to eat high carb foods containing a little fibre.
When I went back to eating low carb foods after diagnosis and got down to normal Hba1c I was rather surprised at how much better I felt, how much younger. The doctor had me on a 'cholesterol lowering' diet for almost two years before - I piled on weight and felt my age, or even older - I was so glad to ditch the carbs.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to try in my area to get them to change the content of the Desmond. I have meetings next week.