Type 1 but no insulin needed

Christina66

I was diagnosed as type 1 in Jan 2018 and have been on Lantus and Novorapid. My type 1 has been tested and confirmed.
I stopped taking Novorapid in December as I walk off any carbs consumed.
I’m on my third week of a diet and I keep having hypo’s (particularly at night) so I’ve been gradually reducing my lantus to the point that I’ve not had any today at all. I’ve had three good meals and several snacks but my levels are fine. Any ideas?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 1 in Jan 2018 and have been on Lantus and Novorapid. My type 1 has been tested and confirmed.
I’m on my third week of a diet and I keep having hypo’s (particularly at night) so I’ve been gradually reducing my lantus to the point that I’ve not had any today at all. I’ve had three good meals and several snacks but my levels are fine. Any ideas?

What are your levels?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

In a honeymoon period ?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Were you diagnosed with IA2 and GAD antibodies?

Christina66

What are the three good meals and several snacks?

AM 2 weetabix
Mid morning raspberries, strawberries, nectarine, banana
Lunch cheese omelette, salad and home made oven chips
Mid aft Naked orange and choc bar
Dinner mulligatawny soup with rice, squash and veggies

Christina66

Thats a fair bit above non diabetic levels, to be honest. They’d be cruising in the 3s, 4s & 5s. Might be worth looking at taking a tiny amount of Lantus.

I’d rather avoid waking up with a hypo at stupid-o’clock. I normally have my Lantus in the morning
I’m going to brave it out and see what happens. Just so weird not having any insulin

Christina66

I assume you are using some sort of testing kit for your blood sugar?

You may well be in a honeymoon period where the pancreas is still producing some insulin, the meals you describe are not massively carby, so for the moment you seem to be getting away with it, which is nice.

Just keep an eye on your blood sugar levels and keep notes about them, if you start going out range high, then it might well be worth injecting again.

Take care.

I’m on the freestyle libre. my last hospital appointment in March resulted in me up-Ing my Lantus as my consultant said I was out of the honeymoon period. It’s so weird, complete turnaround.
I’ll certainly inject if my bloods go high.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Christina66

Just be wary of he Libre as it usually lags behind blood sugars and once it gets out side its optimal range of between 4 and 10 mmol in can be "optimistic" with its accuracy.

It does seem weird as you say but hey were all different :)

Yes, there’s a 20 min delay but I’ve been using it for 8 months and often do a finger prick to compare and it’s pretty accurate.

I think my body defies nature! Completely unpredictable

Reactions: Knikki

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with everything posted so far. Honeymoon period even if only short lived is a possibility. Just one of those times where we become extremely insulin sensitive for no apparent reason. An average 7.2 seems a tad high to be struggling with a lot of hypos. For the foreseeable future keep an eye on your levels, possibly via finger pricks for a more reliable reading.
Let us know what happens over the coming days.

Christina66

I agree with everything posted so far. Honeymoon period even if only short lived is a possibility. Just one of those times where we become extremely insulin sensitive for no apparent reason. An average 7.2 seems a tad high to be struggling with a lot of hypos. For the foreseeable future keep an eye on your levels, possibly via finger pricks for a more reliable reading.
Let us know what happens over the coming days.

Will do. Thanks.

Christina66

IMG_2605.jpg

Last insulin taken was 15 units of lantus on Thursday morning.

Jayderb

Hello,

At 37 years, with 22mmol BG and producing near zero levels if insulin, I was diagnosed with T1. It was a very stressful period: work, moving, Xmas etc. I was initially prescribed lantus and kept upping the levels whilst monitoring my BG which were between 13 and 14. This was last year, on diagnosis my HBA1C was 108. A month later, my consultant ordered some tests, bloods, kidney function and also requested that I skip my insulin and take a carb heavy meal an hour prior to the blood test. It turned out that I was indeed producing a lot of insulin so I was introduced to metformin and was instructed to wean myself off insulin. Within a week I was off insulin and on 2 x 500mg of metformin per day. On my 3 month review, my HBA1c was 42, I had lost a bit of body fat (not lots of weights as I pump weights). The consultant says I must have had an ‘episode’. My diagnosis was changed to T2 and been told to stay on metformin for the rest of my life despite my HBA1c ( according to the consultant, studies have shown that diabetics who stop metformin are more prone to carcinomas and I am on a very low dose anyway - his words). The consultant also mentioned that due to the way my body was responding when I was diagnosed, I MIGHT end up on insulin down the line. At the moment, just like all of us here, I try to stay healthy. I have started running and cycling again, I eat healthier (we all have those days when we slip). Hopefully you will find a definitive answer to your body’s response. It could be you are on honeymoon period it could be you have been misdiagnosed. Good luck

dubzn1

As much as I’ve read and taken in what’s been said , keep doing what your doing - I think it’s great
But
Please keep testing
I had some wild thought I wasn’t diabetic and ended up DKA which isn’t fun
I believe that the honeymoon period is quite unpredictable
But again , the body is capable of some amazing things - just be safe whilst doing it

Ash

Reactions: philchap1