Type 2 Hydration

Injebreck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This has been bugging me for a while. We all know that hydration is key for diabetics (and for high blood pressure sufferers), but what constitutes hydration? e.g. for my gender and weight, it's recommended I drink the equivalent of 17 cups of water a day, but does it have to be water, or can it be tea, coffee, zero sugar pop, etc? I did pose this question to a diabetic nurse and I eventually got the unconvincing answer that it could be anything, but I really got the impression that she didn't really know and it was just drummed into her drink plenty of water.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hydration? Reads more like drowning.
Why are you drinking so much?
The usual recommendation is more like 3 pints or 8 glasses a day.

Injebreck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think eight glasses a day was the old belief. That seems to have changed now to take into account gender and weight and seems to be between half and one ounce per pound weight.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could always just look at the colour of your wee? ;)

DDAF519A-B2D1-4BDD-9A00-2288E138D28E.jpeg

Reactions: HSSS

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
If you add anything to water... ie. tea, coffee, squash... anything at all, your body will treat it as food not water.
Low carb intake... up your water intake I say.
I aim for a couple of litres a day. I have a steel flask that I fill with filtered water and put in the fridge overnight.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never drink water unless I’m
A. In rural Ontario
B. It’s the very last option

...and I’ve never thought about how much.
I can swallow about two mouthfuls and then gag, vile stuff.
I’m alive, well and kicking.

Injebreck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you add anything to water... ie. tea, coffee, squash... anything at all, your body will treat it as food not water.
Low carb intake... up your water intake I say.
I aim for a couple of litres a day. I have a steel flask that I fill with filtered water and put in the fridge overnight.

That's what I've found unclear on most sites and when I've asked people. e.g. I've had four jumbo size mugs of tea so far today, which is roughly the equivalent of 8 normal size cups, but it's not noticeably reduced my blood pressure, so that makes me wonder whether it's pure(ish) water that's needed. Maybe a litre of water a day, in addition to other drinks might work.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
That's what I've found unclear on most sites and when I've asked people. e.g. I've had four jumbo size mugs of tea so far today, which is roughly the equivalent of 8 normal size cups, but it's not noticeably reduced my blood pressure, so that makes me wonder whether it's pure(ish) water that's needed. Maybe a litre of water a day, in addition to other drinks might work.

I did Atkins for a while and found it was great for me... I lost weight and found that I had so much energy! I felt so well.
Atkins had/has a bad press... it is bad for you... you will be ill... it does not work etc. The truth is people that go on Atkins and any low carb diet need to up their water intake. Just that one single act will make a huge difference to how well you feel and how much 'new found' energy you have.
Most people that think they are hungry are actually dehydrated. A glass of water 'just water' will make a big difference to your hunger pangs. This is my experience, it may or may not be the same for you. However not drinking enough water is really bad news for everybody.

Po

Injebreck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been low carb since January last year and lost a couple of stone, so that's not a major issue. It doesn't help that I've had a foot ulcer, followed by amputation, followed by edema, so I've been in compression/a cast for nigh on 18 months, meaning exercise is extremely limited. The reason I asked the question initially was to try and find out whether drinking just water was key, rather than fluid, in general.

M

Member496333

At the risk of sounding dismissive. I eat when I’m hungry and drink when I’m thirsty. My pee is always a light straw colour. I don’t overthink it beyond that. If my body wants fluids it will tell me.