Find a good GP

P

paltry

Does anyone know a good diabetic friendly GP surgery in Northampton? Mine is doing the very barest minimum and I'm keen to get better help.

T

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If anyone wishes to answer this post please use the PM system !

Names of GP's/ HCP's and locations are not allowed on the public Board. They will be removed if posted.

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I think the only way, would be to talk to people and find how happy they are with theirs, maybe at your DB clinic, I kanow the feeling

good luck

P

paltry

Thanks all. I'll try the practice websites again.
Sorry to be asking a forbidden question! It's just that I'm not too happy where I am. As an example; today I rang the surgery because I've had laryngitis and tracheitis for 4 days now and it was turning into a chest infection (I know the signs from my previous life as a smoker!). The GP didn't want to see me and made me feel really guilty about asking to be seen. In particular my explanation that I have diabetes was met with the usual 'it's only diet controlled' response. I've also still never had a Hb1Ac despite ringing to ask about it.
Well that's a bit off my chest! Pardon the rant.
T

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Did you actually talk to the doctor or only the receptionist? It sounds to me as if you really need to see the doctor - bearing in mind that a chest infection will affect your blood glucose levels.

I'd try again and really insist that you need an appointment. Also say that an HbA1c would really help you learn to control your diabetes - you need a baseline to work from. If that still meets a blank wall you could try via your practice nurse - in my experience they are often very helpful, and they have a lot more autonomy than they used to.

Do you have a monitor? and how do you go on for test strips? NICE guidelines say we should be encouraged to be pro-active in our treatment.

Good luck!

Viv

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I dont understand why we cant name specific surgeries or where abouts etc, surley it would be beneficial to everyone and could put pressure to improve practice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ewan said:
I dont understand why we cant name specific surgeries or where abouts etc, surley it would be beneficial to everyone and could put pressure to improve practice

Quite simple really Ewan........................defamation!!!!

Nigel

diabetes51

Dislikes
I am old fashioned so rude people, swearing , lack of good manners.
People trying to make me live in fear of complications instead of encouraging me to enjoy life. especially those who have never bothered to educate themselves about T1 diabetes.
People who eat/sleep/drink their diabetes,and let it rule their life!
What is deflammatory in saying "in my opinion ******** practice is the best for diabetes care in my area." I will state - in Shrewsbury I obtain excellent care at the (gp practice name removed). Now who can sue me for that I ask you?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are formally defined as having diabetes then I think you will find you are entitled under your local PCT/NICE guidelines to have at least an annual Hba1c test together with the usual diabetes check-up. It doesn't make any difference whether you are diet controlled or on medication. Do you have a meter and test yourself; this could be useful in the absence of good GP support? If your GP won't provide at least annual check-ups I think I would ask to be referred to your local diabetes clinic