Question about fasting

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have recently did a 72 hr fast. Consuming only water and black coffee.

My blood sugar hovered between late 4s to late 5s from second day onwards. I also lost some fat around lower tummy.

My question is for people who fast regularly.

How many such fasts are safe?once a month, once a quarter or once every six months?

My blood sugar went back to level of late 6s to early 7s. I was expecting some sort of reset. How many such fasts make visible difference to insulin resistance etc? It was typical low carb food.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Do you need to do 3day fasts?
Although I have to do a 36hr to 48hr fast for my regular colonoscopies, they are not a complete fast and I have to take re-hydration mix to counteract the liquid being lost in the purge.

I too are on LCHF mainly to nudge my body into Keto rather than to lose weight, though I am losing weight at a rate of between 1 and 1 1/2 lbs per week.
I am just doing one 16hr fast per week, though I know many do that every day - effectively doing all their eating inside an 8hr period.

I have been told that 3 day fasts are OK (for non-diabetics) about once per month, but unless it is really necessary, why treat your body so harshly?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have recently did a 72 hr fast. Consuming only water and black coffee.

My blood sugar hovered between late 4s to late 5s from second day onwards. I also lost some fat around lower tummy.

My question is for people who fast regularly.

How many such fasts are safe?once a month, once a quarter or once every six months?

My blood sugar went back to level of late 6s to early 7s. I was expecting some sort of reset. How many such fasts make visible difference to insulin resistance etc? It was typical low carb food.

Quite a few people do 3 days every month with no ill effects.. some people may even do them every week.
Depending whereabouts you are on your journey your reset may take a while. Also if you go back to eating carbs after a fast you'll likely get a more extreme effect. I fast every day until lunchtime at the earliest and sometimes until dinner .. have you tried that? It may be easier or if you quite enjoyed the 3 day then maybe do once or twice a month. It will bring your sugars down for sure and over time they will start to not go up so much afterwards or at least that's what I have found. Also I get my lowest numbers BG wise on the third day and after that they usually go up a bit.

Reactions: nsh2111

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you need to do 3day fasts?
Although I have to do a 36hr to 48hr fast for my regular colonoscopies, they are not a complete fast and I have to take re-hydration mix to counteract the liquid being lost in the purge.

I too are on LCHF mainly to nudge my body into Keto rather than to lose weight, though I am losing weight at a rate of between 1 and 1 1/2 lbs per week.
I am just doing one 16hr fast per week, though I know many do that every day - effectively doing all their eating inside an 8hr period.

I have been told that 3 day fasts are OK (for non-diabetics) about once per month, but unless it is really necessary, why treat your body so harshly?
i tried with 16 hr fast and it didnt made any difference. i may be severe insulin resistance. i do not have any visible fat and people often tell me to eat more.

i want to see if doing longer fast will improve my body's insulin sensitivity.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a few people do 3 days every month with no ill effects.. some people may even do them every week.
Depending whereabouts you are on your journey your reset may take a while. Also if you go back to eating carbs after a fast you'll likely get a more extreme effect. I fast every day until lunchtime at the earliest and sometimes until dinner .. have you tried that? It may be easier or if you quite enjoyed the 3 day then maybe do once or twice a month. It will bring your sugars down for sure and over time they will start to not go up so much afterwards or at least that's what I have found. Also I get my lowest numbers BG wise on the third day and after that they usually go up a bit.
i tried skipping breakfast but i am trying to put some lean mass too so do want to eat when not fasting.

i did enjoy 3 day fast. could have gone longer. second day was hardest for me. i will aim to do another one next month. just was hoping it will keep sugar down for longer by resetting metabolic switches. May be need to be patience.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i tried skipping breakfast but i am trying to put some lean mass too so do want to eat when not fasting.

i did enjoy 3 day fast. could have gone longer. second day was hardest for me. i will aim to do another one next month. just was hoping it will keep sugar down for longer by resetting metabolic switches. May be need to be patience.
Patience is always useful when trying out new threrapies.. they may not seem to work but give them time and they could turn out to be extremely powerful.

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i tried with 16 hr fast and it didnt made any difference. i may be severe insulin resistance. i do not have any visible fat and people often tell me to eat more.

i want to see if doing longer fast will improve my body's insulin sensitivity.
Can you drink whilst fasting?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything? Bit rude!
Well water would be fine.. I tend to have coffee with cream and teas with lactofree milk.
Dehydration maybe an issue although there is such a thing as "dry fasting" but I've never tried it.
You could have been interpreted as meaning drink alcohol... hence my question.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well water would be fine.. I tend to have coffee with cream and teas with lactofree milk.
Dehydration maybe an issue although there is such a thing as "dry fasting" but I've never tried it.
You could have been interpreted as meaning drink alcohol... hence my question.
I thought the drink meant alcohol. May be they way our brain thinks :)

I only had black tea ,coffee and ofcourse lots of water