Prednisolone

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been taking prednisolone for about 12 years. I’ve always been overweight, and did gain while on the prednisolone. I’ve been up as high as 70 mg and the lowest was 5 mg. I’m currently on 10 mg.

About 4 years ago I became diabetic type 2 (steroid induced). I was lucky to find this forum in the week of diagnosis and by the time I had my first appt with the nurse I had been low carb for 3 weeks, and knew to ignore all references to the eatwell plate. Over the next 2 years I lost 8 stone.
I’m not saying that this would happen to everyone, we are all difference.
You do need to watch your blood sugar levels, as prednisolone can raise blood sugar levels.

Good luck

Margaret
Wow, you are an inspiration to me, have been struggling with steriods v sugar levels, and I am at the end of my tether , I have just started low carb, I do find it hard but know I need to persevere.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I've taken prednesalone daily since 1997- it's part of the treatment for double lung transplant recipients. So, you can guess how I developed my diabetes.

I try to keep the carb count as low as possible. For me, taking pred means I'm fighting to keep the levels down all day. So, carbs will make that worse. Not that I don't eat any. I shoot for very few in the mornings at breakfast and minimal throughout the day. I also try to keep active post meals, worst thing for me to do is sit after a meal... levels can rise very quickly. You will just have to see how many carbs work for you. Your meter is going to be your best buddy for this.

Before starting on insulin I maintained a Hba1c of 5.9.... or 41 on 10mg of pred a day. I take 7mg now days.
That was hard to do, but walking played a big roll in that. I also have a stationary exercise bike for days where the weather isn't good for walking. Apple cidar vinegar played a roll in keeping levels down, so did a few supplements I take.

Take it one day at a time is the best way to look at it. It's a horrible drug, but it also keeps me alive. Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing, does some good and some bad.

Good luck.

Reactions: Brunneria

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've taken prednesalone daily since 1997- it's part of the treatment for double lung transplant recipients. So, you can guess how I developed my diabetes.

I try to keep the carb count as low as possible. For me, taking pred means I'm fighting to keep the levels down all day. So, carbs will make that worse. Not that I don't eat any. I shoot for very few in the mornings at breakfast and minimal throughout the day. I also try to keep active post meals, worst thing for me to do is sit after a meal... levels can rise very quickly. You will just have to see how many carbs work for you. Your meter is going to be your best buddy for this.

Before starting on insulin I maintained a Hba1c of 5.9.... or 41 on 10mg of pred a day. I take 7mg now days.
That was hard to do, but walking played a big roll in that. I also have a stationary exercise bike for days where the weather isn't good for walking. Apple cidar vinegar played a roll in keeping levels down, so did a few supplements I take.

Take it one day at a time is the best way to look at it. It's a horrible drug, but it also keeps me alive. Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing, does some good and some bad.

Good luck.
Thank you, if anything it feels good to know I not alone with this. X

Reactions: Tophat1900

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen thank you so much for sharing, it is very helpful. I was so happy no longer napping during the day due to raging diabetes. I am sure I have many adjustments to make. It's a relief to be able chat to people who are in the same boat. Have found a FB group. Mainly US but a nice bunch of people.

There is a forum based in USA neurotalk they have subforum dedicated to MG and also one for Diabetes you may find it helpful if you have not heard of it here is a link hope I am remaining within site rules here but if not am in no doubt I will be made aware of it soon enough.:)

https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/?s=1f14396048088ab1f7c5276409cbcac9

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Pipp

hwhiting

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been taking prednisolone for about 12 years. I’ve always been overweight, and did gain while on the prednisolone. I’ve been up as high as 70 mg and the lowest was 5 mg. I’m currently on 10 mg.

About 4 years ago I became diabetic type 2 (steroid induced). I was lucky to find this forum in the week of diagnosis and by the time I had my first appt with the nurse I had been low carb for 3 weeks, and knew to ignore all references to the eatwell plate. Over the next 2 years I lost 8 stone.
I’m not saying that this would happen to everyone, we are all difference.
You do need to watch your blood sugar levels, as prednisolone can raise blood sugar levels.

Good luck

Margaret
Are you still on 10mg steriods, I am try to wean down from 15mg, I have been on them for years too but my sugars are still to high. Can I ask how you motivate yourself to stick to no carb? What’s a typical days food for you? Congrats on your weight loss.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has been on steroids on and off for about 8 years now for Polymyalgia it goes into remission for a while then comes back. It is thought they were responsible for his T2 as he was never typical for that .He has never really found a problem with them raising his BG levels but he is only on a low dose now. He has never been over weight and the steroids have not made him put on any weight. I think they affect different people in different ways

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How's it going xfielddok?
At the moment, yuk.
One hour after breakfast 10.4 after fasting at 4.8.

On two preds 60mg. Working my way up to 8 tabs a day. Testing every hour after high, I was 6.9 before breakfast.

See neurologist next Tuesday. Diabetic review 29th but with nurse not GP. The nurses are very hit and miss some very good, some not so much.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment, yuk.
One hour after breakfast 10.4 after fasting at 4.8.

On two preds 60mg. Working my way up to 8 tabs a day. Testing every hour after high, I was 6.9 before breakfast.

See neurologist next Tuesday. Diabetic review 29th but with nurse not GP. The nurses are very hit and miss some very good, some not so much.

Take it steady xfieldok. Sometimes life changes balance and we need to review approaches for a while.

I know it'll be hard, but please don't reject quality of life over a decent meds-free blood glucose score.

I'm not suggesting you go head first into heavy blood glucose meds, but don't forget life, enjoyment and a certain amount of flexibility.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m with dcukmod.

There comes a point when you’ve made all the reasonable sustainable dietary changes, and the numbers are still too high... time to add another management technique.

How are the pups doing?

I smile every time I see your profile pic.
Our second dog (b&w shih tzu) was just like that. Every step, staircase, molehill, mound, mountain, wall, bench and picnic table. She bounced onto every one. Danced around on top, then bounced back down. 5 foot high dry stone walls. Over stiles. National Trust castle ruins. Staircases to nowhere. It was like living with a mountain goat.

Things have calmed down a little now she is 5. But only a little. She was on the headboard yesterday (which is a 6 inch shelf).

And like all shih tzus, she understands ‘no!’ and ‘get down!’. She just also understands that you must be talking to dog no.1 not her.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The pups are a joy except for the toilet training. One is ok and the other just hasn't a clue. Need to recarpet the house and can't to that until he is sorted. They make us laugh and I could have become quite depressed without them.

The neurologist recommend review. Just done bloods again, 2 hours after eating, 10.5. If I am like this on 120mg what am I going to be like when I am taking 480mg.

I want the review to discuss options. I certainly don't want to dive straight in with more drugs now but I also want to feel as though I have some control. I do expect higher numbers but want to do everything I can to keep them to minimum.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking of you @xfieldok - sounds like the diabetes review is timely and hopefully between that and seeing the neurologist you can find a balance you’re happier with. Take care.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you still on 10mg steriods, I am try to wean down from 15mg, I have been on them for years too but my sugars are still to high. Can I ask how you motivate yourself to stick to no carb? What’s a typical days food for you? Congrats on your weight loss.

Hello hwhiting

I’m still on 10 mg. I’ve been up and down like a yo-yo. When I went onto methotrexate the idea was that I’d be able to get off predisolone, but no such luck. When I drop I do it very gradually. My first drop will be to 9 mg when I try again. The rheumatologist is starting me on an increased dose of methotrexate once I have learnt how to inject myself.

I discovered early on that spelt doesn’t spike me, so small amounts of spelt muesli, and spelt bread are ok.

I’ve never been too keen on sweet stuff which helps. But my downfall is crisps. Any suggestions on how to resist them would be very welcome. It doesn’t help that predisolone undoubtedly increases appetite.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello hwhiting

I’m still on 10 mg. I’ve been up and down like a yo-yo. When I went onto methotrexate the idea was that I’d be able to get off predisolone, but no such luck. When I drop I do it very gradually. My first drop will be to 9 mg when I try again. The rheumatologist is starting me on an increased dose of methotrexate once I have learnt how to inject myself.

I discovered early on that spelt doesn’t spike me, so small amounts of spelt muesli, and spelt bread are ok.

I’ve never been too keen on sweet stuff which helps. But my downfall is crisps. Any suggestions on how to resist them would be very welcome. It doesn’t help that predisolone undoubtedly increases appetite.

My friend in a similar position but the other wayn round. She was desparate to getn off the Methotextrate and chose steroids at highish doses in order to do that. The Methotextrate killed off her immune system causing untold problems. The steroids have made her gain weight but she feels much better in herself. She isn't diabetic and has regular HbA1cs to keep an eye on that, so she doesn't nworry too much, and she continues to eat low fat and carbs!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@xfieldok - The thing is as well as spiffing blood sugar numbers you need to have a life, and you need to have a decent quality of life.

I think it's also worth remembering that going on drugs tomorrow (or any day really), doesn't necessarily mean that's it forever.

I really do believe in my Avatar (which is one of the tenets of The Matt Hampson Foundation).

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends on how high and how long. As I understand it, it might take 9 months to a year on steroids before I go on some immunosuppressants at which time I will be weaned off the preds. Things may change, I am still learning. I do hear what you say though. Just trying to determine my options.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on how high and how long. As I understand it, it might take 9 months to a year on steroids before I go on some immunosuppressants at which time I will be weaned off the preds. Things may change, I am still learning. I do hear what you say though. Just trying to determine my options.

I'd be doing exactly the same thing Kitedok, but as one who is more stubborn that a stubborn person fom the land of the stubborn, I can sometimes lose sight of when it's time to give in and do something different

Be kind to yourself. You've a lot to take on board.