how have you all accepted this condition we all have?

talchi88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been t1 for 14 years now and I still don't tell people I have it, don't do my insulin hardly ever and I never do blood test! how do you all do it?

mate, ive just had my 15yrs diagnoses anniversary. i STILL am in denial. i wake every morning with the best of intentions but it doesnt go to plan. i regularly run bg levels of 20-30.
for some people i think it works with your mental state at time of diagnosis.. i spent my 15th bday in hosp being diagnosed. i then went into denial, a rebellious teenager who thought the world owed her a favour, and who wouldnt be told what to do. i dont know any other type ones... today is my 30th bday.... i have made a determined resolution that this year my t1d will be a priority.... im sick of feeling ill

edit by mod -- removed offensive language from thread title.

Reactions: ChuckJones

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JShep07 First things first: Not only are you not alone in feeling that way about your diabetes, we've all been there at some point. I had a long stint in my early 20s of not testing, only injecting when I felt high and eating whatever I wanted. I hid from my diabetes and refused to let it rule my life.

I now work with a lot of young people going through similar feelings. and they're absolutely right to. Having diabetes sucks. HARD. But if you let it get you down you let it win, and then it's ruling your life. Trust me, if you feel it's a pain in the ass to test your blood sugars you'll have a huge problem dealing with having no legs!

The best thing to do is to talk. Tell people how you feel, and even if you don't get a miracle cure or amazing advice at least you're venting, which is incredibly helpful. Be honest with yourself and admit to how you feel about your diabetes. If you're scared of it, find out more about it. If you're worried ask questions.

diabetes gets easier to deal with the more you manage it. Testing four or five times a day and injecting when you should (look into getting an Expert meter - they tell you exactly what to inject every time) will stop the tiredness, feeling ill and the inevitable depression that comes with it. I know it feels like a mountain to climb but it really is pretty simple. Try setting simple targets to get started.

Take control of your diabetes. If you can control it, it will never control you.

J

Strachan1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone name an EXPERT meter used in UK. I think this would help me a lot?

JShep07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
oh yeah I suppose you never really got to experience life without it! it was very hard when I was 6 as I didn't really understand why I was being injected 6 times a day :( but oh well haha! I totally feel your pain! I get the exact same! that's why I hate doing It so much. it wouldn't be so bad if people were educated about it but sadly they aren't. aw I really hope they let you out today too! let me know if they manage to find out why it's all happening to you if you don't mind? my bloods really weren't good yesterday! but I'm going to try my best today for you :) how are yours? x

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was recently diagnosed with depression and diabetes and depression sort of don’t mix very well as the depression makes it difficult to do the daily things with diabetes like testing etc which in turn makes you more depressed. I used to be extremely good at it but I was diagnosed a week after my first birthday and I’m almost 21 now. To sort of help me get back on track with testing I’ve started to use the freestyle libre which has helped me to get more test data in the day I’ve found with it I’m doing my blood sugar a lot more often than I would have before so that could be something to consider. Now because I’m in the adult clinic my consultant appointments are only every 6 months which isn’t helpful for me so in between those every 1-2 months I go to see my nurse which helps. You could also consider asking if your hospital has any diabetic groups you could attend so you can meet other people with the same condition. Accepting your condition is the first big step towards getting better control.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

leahkian

Nicola M you can ask to be seen by your consultant every 3 months and tell them the reason for this, as you can see the diabetic nurse every month if you would like to. I take it that you have spoke to someone about your mental health and diabetes and depression are very common with people with diabetes. I know that in the last year at my diabetic clinic in Newcastle they have a mental health nurse who only deals with mental health and diabetes, the clinic is one of the biggest in the north east and i know at my local hospital in Durham do not offer this service. It might be worth going online to see what is on offer at the bigger hospitals that are round you as they will have a larger budget than the smaller hospitals.

Becks33

Hi hun,

I’m 24 this August, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 9 , I had absolutely naughty friends and was a naughty girl and did want I liked! Didn’t listen to anyone and 15 years later I have absolutely no definition vision in my left eye going through loads of eye surgery to save (any sight left) I have just moved out and had to quit my job and also lost my driving liscence! Im also addicted to cigarettes which doesn’t help! Ialso with my partner two years and my god if he didn’t love me he would of run a mile! Please do your insulin and test your bloods it will save you the god **** **** I’m going through by a mile off ... look after yourself and don’t worry about anyone else! Send me a message if you want xxx

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
It’s a good idea to tell people you have it. All though I’ve had T1D for around 13yrs, however there’s a couple of times I avoid telling my friends but i eventually told them.
Anyway but with work always tell them, I’m doing volunteering and training at moment. My volunteering when I first joined. I told my head of department. (Because I volunteer at animal park we leave our bags in the yard for animals safety but I might I have to stop in the middle of a job if I ever got a hypo) in my training which I got trough work experience as a receptionist in a sports centre. Back then I did tell them but they somehow forgot that I had it. Till they looked it up .
Anyway I also because I do a lot of outdoor activities where I’m mostly on my own. I wear a medical ID alert bracelet saying in type 1 diabetic I find it a good idea as if something was to happen or you get into an accident then people would need to know and what to do.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On insulin for years now and I manage my condition (as well as other ones) with the help of tablets/meds which without I'd would hv been long gone.
I appreciate everyday, week or year and soon 16½yrs since diagnosis. Diagnosed with only obesity as a complication.
Recovering from Roux-en-y is hoping to stop the recently diagnosed neuropathy from deteriation. Left eye retinopathy has formed mildly and I will attempt to stop too. A fight I'm prepared to do for the duration; minus ill days which I mostly just monitor and inject.
I decided a long time ago I'm one of life's fighters not observers.
My only concern close to my heart is walking, swimming and teaching my kids all safe exercise.
On the whole I make the best of it. I'd like to return to jogging but walking has its off days due to trapped/nipped nerves. I'm hoping for support to hv huge improvement. Weight loss is helping slowly.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a form of self defense which just goes with the attacker, to their detriment.
At one time I was in something of a predicament, and sank down on one knee as someone was coming at me with no good intent - he went straight over me and collided with a lamp post. I and the lamp post survived unscathed.
By totally accepting my inability to deal with carbs I seem to have resolved the problem.
Yes, I have thrown a double six in that I have type two which has responded to diet by going into remission.
When someone sympathies with me for being unable to eat more than 40 gm of carbs a day, I do have to switch off my on my knees giving thanks thinking in order to have any sort of conversation.
One of my earlier nicknames was Tigger, later on I became Smiler - I am totally insufferable at oh dark stupid on wet winter mornings.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @JShep07 I see you have been back on the forum in June, so how are things going for you now after last year, have things got better for you, how are you coping ?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I struggle to understand how people carry on after losing much of their sight or having amputations. But then I knew I was at risk, as my mother was type 2 and I loved sugary foods but it still took the diagnosis to get me on track.
I've been staying with a friend 3 times over the last month who used to be an artist and craft person but is nearly blind , has open foot ulcers and has had one toe off - it terrifies me enough to overcome any cravings.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I don’t feel I’m in denial, I’m type 2 and was diagnosed last October, I do t tell people, I have a dark sense of humour and I make bad situations seem funny. It’s just the way I deal with things. I suffer from severe anxiety and depression. But I hate I have this condition. People say it’s because your lazy or think it’s for really overweight people, google celebrities and Halle Berry has diabetes. And she is in great shape. I think for me is it raises my anxiety. I’ve always had high readings so as soon as I see 5.7 as I have today I immediately go into panic mode and think I need to eat something when it’s normal. But I get terrified I will go to sleep and it will put me in a coma. So then the anxiety is in full force and I will be awake all night just in case. And the cycle will continue. U just wish you was how you were before. Or think oh my friends are having tea and cake I will just have a cracker bread. I know I could have a slice of cake but then I will panic it’s going to go to high and anxiety kicks in oh it’s bad high because it causes all sorts of problems. I’m sure all of us have all had a hard time at some point. Just know your not alone

Reactions: MattH892