TD1 help abroad

Melreevo

Hi everyone,
I am 21 years old been type 1 since 18. Usually well managed by tresiba 4u per day and Novorapid 2u per meal.
I went from UK to Spain a few days ago and my blood sugars have gone completely mad! 6u of Novorapid did not bring my sugars into single figures. I've only had a couple single figures since I've been here. I have travel insurence and brought 2 spare pens of each. Have contacted my nurse by email, awaiting a reply.
Any advice for the mean time, the weather is rainy very cool same temperatures as home. Possibly a bad pen? I plan to increase tresiba to 6u to see if that may make a difference. Currently 12.5 at 23:23 ate around 8.
Thanks in advance!

D

Deleted Account

I would
- change to your backup pens. I assume these are profiled pens. If not change your pens and insulin cartridges
- if you have a sick day plan agreed, adopt this
- if you can, test your ketones
- set an alarm in 2to 3 hours to test again
- don’t “rage bolus” (stacks too much bolus insulin)
- if your BG and ketones keep rising, visit a hospital

Being away from home means quite a few things are different such as knowing what was in the food (and beer?) you ate.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hmm, some possibilities
1) As you said, a bad pen(s). Does the rise coincide with a change in pens? Have you checked to make sure the vial inside isn't cracked? If it's a pen then it's unlikely to be both, so examine them both very carefully to find the culprit.
2) Travel stress or you're coming down with a bug caught on the plane.
3) Honeymoon end??? A bit out there, since you're T1 and have been diagnosed 3 years, but if you were still producing insulin then this production could be tapering off.
4) Your profile doesn't say whether you're male or female. Pregnancy :)! (OK, I'm really stretching here:)).

I'd be cautious about increasing long acting till you've checked that it's not pen issues. Running a bit high won't kill you, having a major hypo might. Are you alone or are you travelling with friends or family who can rescue you if you have an unexpected bad hypo?

Hopefully your nurse will get in contact to advise on doses. All I can really recommend is test, test, test.

Make sure you've got a card with

diabetico en insulina

Good luck.

Melreevo

Thank you,
I have now swapped to a backup novo road pen. I started this particular pen the day before we left so it could well be a bad pen. I am a female, pregnancy is not possible as I test monthly to be on the safe side. Sugar is now dropping down very fast now so will have some food to balance it out.