Rice Bran Oil

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Here in Thailand television ads are heavily promoting Rice Bran Oil as the latest 'healthy' oil for cooking. I can't see much on the Internet other than claims that it is a good alternative to olive oil in many ways.

(Bear in mind this is the country where 50% of TV ads are for whitening products, wonder-baby milk and health serums)

I ask as olive oil here is hard to find and expensive when you do find it.

I cook exclusively with butter, ghee and olive oil and am hoping this would be a reasonable alternative.

Thanks

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you get coconut oil at a reasonable price? I use that all the time and you can use it in coffee etc. I don't as I have my coffee strong and black with no sugar.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Here in Thailand television ads are heavily promoting Rice Bran Oil as the latest 'healthy' oil for cooking. I can't see much on the Internet other than claims that it is a good alternative to olive oil in many ways.

(Bear in mind this is the country where 50% of TV ads are for whitening products, wonder-baby milk and health serums)

I cook exclusively with butter, ghee and olive oil and am hoping this would be a reasonable alternative.

Thanks

Hi there. Personally, I don't and wouldn't, by choice use rice bran oil. It's a highly processed polyunsaturated fat.

Hopefully my post will stimulate other responses, as your post came in in the UK's wee small hours.

I know exactly what you say about the whitening products. When I was buying body butter (my body being a temple and all that), just everything had snail extract in it.

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you get coconut oil at a reasonable price? I use that all the time and you can use it in coffee etc. I don't as I have my coffee strong and black with no sugar.

Yes coconut oil and coconut milk is cheap and easy to find everywhere. I use coconut milk instead of cream as that is also hard to find. Not too keen on stir fries using coconut oil. Not great for bacon and eggs :)

M

Member496333

I find the best quick-guide for oils and fats is to take the exact opposite view of the first hit in your search engine. Apparently rice bran oil is regarded as a health food. On this basis I conclude that it’s most likely very bad for you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tom, if you do things like Moo Grob, there's usually plenty of fat rendered from that - however you do it. You could try saving that?

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't notice the taste of the coconut oil and use it for my bacon and eggs; you could have some spices (garlic, chilli flakes etc.) to mask the taste but if you use it regularly you should cease to notice it.

Reactions: tom_r_orr

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi

Thanks

Sounds horrible.... Rice bran oil.

I think if it's promoted as healthy and it's cheap compared the real healthy stuff you are already using then rice bran oil has got to be a "do not touch" unless wearing a hazmat suit.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi

Thanks
The internet is full of diverse opinions among so-called expert Doctors about saturated fats even about whether high HDL is even good. Having been previously been on a 'so-called healthy High Carb Low Fat diet' before my triple Bypass and being diagnosed as T2D, I am prepared to accept the evidence that goes against the Government Guidelines.
Thus highly processed Polyunsaturated fat (for me) is now something to be avoided. But saturated animal fat which requires no factory processing is to be welcomed. Apart from animal fat the only 2 oils I will now consider eating are Olive Oil and Coconut Oil - the latter because there is plenty of evidence that it raises HDL (if you think that is a good thing).

Reactions: Arab Horse