Has anyone quit dairy and noticed improvements?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering, on your journey to better health, whether you have tried quitting dairy products (along with reducing carbs) and how long did you quit for; did you reintroduce dairy; and what differences did you notice for your health?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Just wondering, on your journey to better health, whether you have tried quitting dairy products (along with reducing carbs) and how long did you quit for; did you reintroduce dairy; and what differences did you notice for your health?
Quit it for a month and didn’t notice any real changes (other than having a taste develop for black tea and coffee) and when I started adding it back I have noticed my weight dropping off again after stalling for a little while so I am not sure.

Reactions: Shas3 and Cocosilk

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit whey from cow’s milk, since i have an intolerance to it.
So i still have goat’s milk, yog and cheese (sometimes), and cow’s butter, double cream, hard cheeses, since they have the whey removed. I avoid cow’s yogurt and milk, single cream and the softer cheeses where the whey is still present.

Because my intolerance just causes yawning, eye watering and a bit of brain fog, the world doesn’t end if I have the odd slice of cheesecake, or I get served single instead of double cream.

I am considering a dairy free month, but it doesn’t appeal, so I may well continue to consider it indefinitely ;)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I love dairy products but I've always wondered if my asthma or dermatitis would change if I avoided dairy products. I've managed to cut carbs so I might be brave enough to try a month without dairy to see what happens. Good to hear of others' experiences as a motivator!

Reactions: Shas3 and Guzzler

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I love dairy products but I've always wondered if my asthma or dermatitis would change if I avoided dairy products. I've managed to cut carbs so I might be brave enough to try a month without dairy to see what happens. Good to hear of others' experiences as a motivator!
Give it a go! I know some people experience forms of inflammation because of dairy so it couldn’t hurt.

Reactions: bkr and Shas3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only dairy I like is cheese and butter but I have to keep to small amount due to tum issues. @Brunneria when I was in Waitrose this week they were giving out cheese samples one of which was goats cheese with oregano...it was so delicious I bought some and will again. Have you had it?

Reactions: Shas3
M

Member496333

If I ever discover that it’s doing me some measurable harm then I’ll drop it, no questions and no going back. In the same way I quit beer and bread, I’d have no issue shunning dairy if the motivation was there. Right now though, not a chance. Very fond of cream, butter and cheese. Certainly too fond to give it all up without reason. Thankfully just now I don’t have a reason. Or at least none that I’m aware of.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only dairy I like is cheese and butter but I have to keep to small amount due to tum issues. @Brunneria when I was in Waitrose this week they were giving out cheese samples one of which was goats cheese with oregano...it was so delicious I bought some and will again. Have you had it?

Never heard of it - but it is now on the shopping list. :D Thank you!

Reactions: Shas3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

As you have cut carbs, if you also cut dairy you need to increase your other fats without being tempted to use industrial processed oils and pretend dairy.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did 2 weeks no dairy Diet Doctor meal plan - no dairy except butter as that is nearly pure fat. Made no difference to my weight loss or blood sugars so went right back to dairy

Reactions: Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
As you have cut carbs, if you also cut dairy you need to increase your other fats without being tempted to use industrial processed oils and pretend dairy.
I know about this challenge. My husband renders lard from fatty pork belly. It takes hours but it's the real deal, so at least I have that for cooking and spreading on the sourdough rye and spelt breads he also makes (I only eats small amounts of bread now). We have a good olive oil and I guess there's also coconut oil. Do you think those 3 would be enough? Along with eating nuts, fatty meats and fish? I'll certainly miss butter, cream and the goat's milk I constantly guzzle, not to mention the Bocconcini, Kefalograviera and white Castello cheeses I adore at the moment. And then there's my husband's homemade yoghurt. Probably start with just 2 weeks of no dairy and reintroduce it starting with yoghurt. Hopefully I won't notice any changes so I can just go back to eating it.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I did 2 weeks no dairy Diet Doctor meal plan - no dairy except butter as that is nearly pure fat. Made no difference to my weight loss or blood sugars so went right back to dairy
Good to know!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dairy consumption includes cow, goat, and sheep offerings. I've used normal full fat dairy products all my life, rather than the reduced/low fat/"lite" versions.

However, I had to quit eating blue cheese many years ago before I became diabetic as it was one of my (few) migraine trigger foods, but I've now been able to re-introduce it since I've been low carbing and as a result am now virtually migraine free. So apart from this, I've not had any problems with dairy products, and other than upping my cream and fromage fraiche consumption somewhat, and replacing real milk with almond milk for the reduction in carbs when I started LCHF. I haven't had any good reason to change my dairy "habit" at all.

Robbity

Reactions: Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
My dairy consumption includes cow, goat, and sheep offerings. I've used normal full fat dairy products all my life, rather than the reduced/low fat/"lite" versions.

However, I had to quit eating blue cheese many years ago before I became diabetic as it was one of my (few) migraine trigger foods, but I've now been able to re-introduce it since I've been low carbing and as a result am now virtually migraine free. So apart from this, I've not had any problems with dairy products, and other than upping my cream and fromage fraiche consumption somewhat, and replacing real milk with almond milk for the reduction in carbs when I started LCHF. I haven't had any good reason to change my dairy "habit" at all.

Robbity
That's interesting that cheese gave you migraines before low carbing and now it doesn't. My father also complained of cheese giving him migraines. I'm not sure if dairy is affecting me or not. I love it so I could be over-consuming it.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Could always give it a go....:)

But having asthma since 11...i found the best benefits was the LCHF diet i've used since DX of T2D.
which means oddly i have INCREASED my dairy..
(supposedly an asthma contributor due to creation of mucous )

Yet my symptoms have abated so much, i now rarely consider the asthma and it's only when i'm triggered (up close and cuddling any cats..cat hair now, sadly..or rather the saliva they clean their coats with apparently :***: )
Still continue with the preventer daily, but not had any symptoms otherwise since last oct.

Being so preoccupied with the T2D prevention methods, etc...it was only someone else stating how LC had impacted/reduced other illnesses & symptoms, inc asthma, that i reflected that mine had all but disappeared.