BMI target?

Doug_NL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A goal properly set is halfway reached." -Zig Ziglar

Some good advice from Zig. I'm losing weight quickly on a VLCD and haven't really thought about a target BMI. I suppose mid-way in the normal range (22 or 23) would be good. But I've heard that lower-normal is better.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience setting BMI goals?

Reactions: Viv19 and Freema
D

Deleted Account

I remember at manager training being told to set SMART goals for our staff.
These are
Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time-based

I think this is good advice for most goals in life.
My reason for my reminiscing is to highlight the "achievable" and "realistic" characteristics.

I am one of those (probably annoying) people who has never needed to be on a weight loss diet. I have a BMI "mid-way" in the normal range. I exercise a lot so a higher than average percentage of this is muscle.
I have no desire to lose any weight and I believe the lifestyle changes to achieve this would be too great.

We cannot tell you what to do and only you can be motivated to achieve it.
But I would not get too hung up with being in the lower-normal range.
BMI is only a guideline for a healthy weight but there are many other things to consider (like muscle percentage).

Reactions: Doug_NL

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Some good advice from Zig. I'm losing weight quickly on a VLCD and haven't really thought about a target BMI. I suppose mid-way in the normal range (22 or 23) would be good. But I've heard that lower-normal is better.

My thoughts are that only you can set your target. A target/goal set by someone else is much less well owned by the person striving to achieve it.

To me, a target or goal is not set in stone, and can have many sub-goals. So a target might be that pilot a spaceship to the moon, but a sub target might be that I learn to drive, then learn to fly a plane. (OK, those are never credible for me, but we move on.)

Your goal has to be something you can see, and believe is achievable, so if your current BMI is (and I have zero clue what yours actually is) 33, then your first goal might be to get to under 30. From there, the redrafted goal could be into the <25 Healthy Range, and from the you get into finessing, but going too low can be as unhelpful as a high BMI..

A couple of years ago, in Diabetes Week, whilst working on an exhibition, I went over to another stand, run by a small, but very successful local diabetes charity, who had their mega truck, winnebago thing there. They were doing a sort of "Know Your Risk" thing, where one could be weighed, measured, and have our blood pressure and blood glucose tested. From there, the print out from the scales compared against their version of "Ideal". That was about 22.5 BMI.

I had a very low risk of diabetes, having neglected to mention I had been diagnosed in 2013. Naughty old me! :)

Do I think 22.5 is ideal? I don't have a view.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm always skeptical about BMI, as it doesn't take your body fat to muscle ratio into account, and many professional sports players are classified as overweight or even obese using the BMI alone, despite having body fat of less than 5%. but as a starting point it's better than nothing

Viv19

I’ve been using an app aktiBMI which charts my weight loss, show where I am on a BMI level, and how far I have to go to my pre-chosen weight target. I know that a BMI level isn’t perfect but this gives me something to follow. It’s free and better than a notepad.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I think that you might set a waist measurement goal as well as a BMI goal.

At the moment (as well as for a long time) I want to get my weight down to 11 stone 7 lbs and my waist measurement down to 32".

At the moment I weigh 11 stone 12 lbs and my waist measurement seems to be varying between 34" and 35".

IMHO a waist measurement significantly lower than half your height (I am 72" tall so 36" is my maximum safe level) is more significant than a specific BMI. As already noted you could be muscle bound or have matchstick limbs at the same overall weight. The difference being the size of your belly.

The name of the game is to get rid of visceral fat which clogs up your vital organs, especially your liver and pancreas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was losing weight I didn't have a goal. I just kept going until I was happy with what I saw in the mirror.