Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No plays on this occasion. They won't let the dog in :hilarious: I have seen most of the Shakespeare plays at the Stratford theatre over the years. As youngsters we used to sleep outside as the first 50 people got free entry but had to stand at the back. Then we got more sensible as our brains developed (in humans this normally happens from around age 30) and bought proper tickets, and stayed in a hotel. The theatre has changed beyond recognition since those days. The plays take place all round the audience but everyone can see and hear it all. There are no normal wings. Actors come and go along the aisles. Brilliant.

That sounds wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen a live Shakespeare play (just a few filmed for TV, and then movie adaptations). I love the early Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde, and in (I think) the first one they go to a production of Richard III that has been running for so long that the audience all know the lines and are invited up onstage to participate.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Judith has bifocals She has had vari-focal lenses in the past but manages better with the bi focal as she works with computer screens in an office environment.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are vari-focal lenses the ones without the lines?

I just spoke with another optician at another office just down the street. He said I can bring in these glasses and the prescription for them to look at to see if they match. No charge for this! Yay!

Reactions: heh and carty

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Vari focal lenses have a gradual change in focus from top to bottom of the lens .so there is no line across the lens

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wear varifocals and have done for years. They take a few days to get used to but after that they are brilliant for me. . I barely need anything for long and middle dostance. I watch TV without them etc but I need them for the computer, reading, and shopping, so it saves having to have readin glasses on and off all the time.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think it's like so many things it't down to what suites you as an individual vari or bi focal there is no right or wrong just what works best for you.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
God I love Stratford. Had a wonderful day, walked over 4 miles, had a picnic. Followed the river along one side, crossed over and walked back through the church grounds and gardens, over the theatre terrace, across the junction of the river and canal, watched the boats navigating the locks, wandered back over the river and had a stroll along a couple of the beautiful streets window shopping in the ancient courtyard areas, admired all the original tudor buildings. It must be among the top 5 towns in the UK. Very pretty and well kept despite all the tourists. Love the place.

Reactions: heh

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Monday again but run down to another Bank Holiday :D

I wear varifocals, have done for a few years. They did need getting used to when I first got them. Hope you get your glasses sorted @SaskiaKC

Have a good day.

H :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Bluetit1802 Judith was brought up in Warwick just a few miles from Stratford so have spent many happy days in Stratford love the place Warwick is worth a look as well especially the castle and the park. Also the Saxon Mill pub just out side Warwick is a nice place to relax.

Reactions: heh

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnEGreen we intended to visit Warwick Castle but they won't let us in with the dog, not even in the grounds, so that is a no-no. We have been before in the past. Today we are off to Bourton on the Water for the umpteenth time. Another pace we love.

Yesterday my grandson ran the Great Manchester 10k run, running for the British Heart Foundation. He is not an athlete but his official time was 40.44 minutes, which is very impressive. Proud of him.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen we intended to visit Warwick Castle but they won't let us in with the dog, not even in the grounds, so that is a no-no. We have been before in the past. Today we are off to Bourton on the Water for the umpteenth time. Another pace we love.

Yesterday my grandson ran the Great Manchester 10k run, running for the British Heart Foundation. He is not an athlete but his official time was 40.44 minutes, which is very impressive. Proud of him.
Well done your grandson. A star for him.

Bourton on the Water is beautiful been there a few times on odd day trips from Warwick when we stayed at in-laws good old days we miss. We sometimes would stop over at Judiths sister's in Cheltenham which is not far from Bourton on the Water.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Congratulations to him!

I visited Bourton on the Water once, ages ago. Lovely.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been boiling hot today. Why is it that all the Europeans were dressed appropriately in summer clothes yet all the Japanese (and there were a lot) were dressed for the arctic. Even the ladies in dresses had tights on.

Had a lovely day in Bourton. Went to Birdland, which is full of exotic birds, and a great penguin area. Strange birds. There were some newly hatched avocets, too. Cute, fluffy and tiny with massive feet. In the village we came across an ice cream shop selling doggie ice cream tubs. Specially made for dogs. Glucosamine, omega 3, vitamin C, low fat, low sugar and low lactose. Never seen that before. I had a vanilla tub. Could have murdered a 99. Peaked at 8.2 so it could have been worse, but it is still up higher than normal after 3 hours. (Libre). Ness had some of hubby's cone and cleaned out my tub. We decided against getting her a doggie one.

Nearly wine O'clock.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
but it is still up higher than normal after 3 hours

You could have ordered the doggie one for yourself and give Ness the vanilla one, assuming Ness isn't diabetic. Love them selling doggie icecream :)

edit: Before diabetes I loved getting an icecream cone and share it with my dog, lick for me, lick for you wise. Especially where there are many people around. I don't particularly like to lick an icecream that has been licked by my dog, but I love seeing the horrified faces of those people a lot more than I dislike sharing my ice :p

I'll do it again this summer when I feel particularly brave at dose-guessing! And with 4 dogs now I can give most of it to them, which makes things a lot easier diabetes-wise :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to share ice cream cones lick-about with our dog. I never got any weird looks because I was a little kid. Dogs' tongues are a lot cleaner than humans' tongues anyway. Or they have more germ-fighting chemicals in their saliva. Or something ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Or they have more germ-fighting chemicals in their saliva. Or something ...
Exactly. Must be the something. I've had my ears pierced a couple of times, twice with a safety pin, twice with an ancient ear piercing machine my neighbour found somewhere. (He also found the supposedly sterile earstuds that came with the machine in 1970 at a guess. They must have been, as nothing untoward happened, even though it took close to half an hour to free the stuck machine from my ear)
One of the times we did the safety pin thing we 'sterilized' with wodka and fire, and it took a month for my ear to return back to normal. The other time we couldn't find anything to 'sterilize' with (we must have drank it all, I don't remember exactly :hungover:), so we opted to let the dog lick the safety pin before piercing, as we also heard that 'or something' part. In fact, we let all 4 present dogs lick it to make sure. Anyway, that ear was just fine, so it works! :hilarious:
60805147_10217599377170597_1173250366502862848_n.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly. Must be the something. I've had my ears pierced a couple of times, twice with a safety pin, twice with an ancient ear piercing machine my neighbour found somewhere. (He also found the supposedly sterile earstuds that came with the machine in 1970 at a guess. They must have been, as nothing untoward happened, even though it took close to half an hour to free the stuck machine from my ear)

LOL "ancient" -- I had my ears pierced in 1970!
lol.gif
Time is all relative, is it not? The doc used something that felt and sounded like a stapler, that pierced the ear and placed the stud all in one.

I don't know if any of y'all have ever read Louisa May Alcott's Eight Cousins -- there is a description there of ear-piercing that made me glad my mother took me to a doctor! :)

Reactions: Antje77

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Lovely blue sky out there this morning.

I met a new client at work yesterday, she runs a rescue centre for birds of prey and has 50 of them at the moment. Very interesting lady.

Have a good day.

H :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
LOL "ancient" -- I had my ears pierced in 1970!
lol.gif
Time is all relative, is it not? The doc used something that felt and sounded like a stapler, that pierced the ear and placed the stud all in one.

I don't know if any of y'all have ever read Louisa May Alcott's Eight Cousins -- there is a description there of ear-piercing that made me glad my mother took me to a doctor! :)

I have virtually no sensation in ear lobes whatsoever so I could probably push a knitting needle through and not feel a thing, I'm not going to though as I had my ear pierced at a stall in Plymouth market many years ago.