Desmond - worthwhile - or bite lip for 6 1/6 hrs?

D

Deleted Account

I notice most of the comments in this thread refer to what is being taught with very little comment about who attended.
I mention this based on my experience of DAFNE, a course for people with type 1.
As it was offered to be 12 years after my diagnosis, I was not expecting to learn much (most of it was about carb counting which I had been doing for 12 years) and my expectations were met.
However it was not a waste of time. I gained a lot from talking to other people with type 1 and learning their stories which put a lot of what I thought I knew in context. It's great chatting to people on the forum but you get to know them quicker and better face to face.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't need to go to one of the courses in order to meet other diabetics it seems around here every other person you meet has diabetes.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I just say there isn't always tea and cakes being offered at diabetes courses. I'm also speaking for DAFNE for type 1, we were offered tea and coffee, no cakes. I'd say give it a go, whatever they offer you can either take it on board or not, arguably it is a set of guidelines? I'm with @helensaramay on this one, I did learn a lot too and the DSN and dietitian were both very opened about all kinds of diets - keto and LCHF etc. There was many other diabetics who A) did not know how to carb count and was running high all the time, B) came from different levels of understanding, I felt like I helped others because I happened to be the only person in that group to have used the freestyle libre for glucose monitoring. C) different ages and different diets - we were all opened to ideas, no one was judged for doing keto for example and we focused on the three main macros - carbs, protein and fat.

I though it was good to know what to do when you're going on holiday, if you're unwell, what to do in an emergency and how to check your medication. I didn't think it was a waste of time, whatever we know we can apply and help other diabetics who are struggling. I also liked that the DSN said DAFNE will be updated soon to take protein into account because apparently in some cases protein can rise the BG. So I am hopeful that NHS are catching up on the LCHF for Type 2 diabetics.
Also I always thought I was alone on this journey, but DAFNE really did bring a small group of diabetics together and understand we are facing the same struggles.

Nick Grant

Am truly shocked to read the majority of posts here.

I did a Desmond course two years ago in Brent, north-west London, when first diagnosed with Type 2. It was a weekly session. Combining dietary guidance/meal suggestions (including two actual cooking sessions in a high school home economics room) with 45minute workouts in the gym, it was a huge boost for me which I have thoroughly recommended to others.

I can understand that as a retired person I had the time available over 11 weeks which clearly working people found difficult to do, depending on the goodwill or not of their employer. I also appreciate that the quality of staff running these courses may well vary from place to place, but in my case they were brilliant - patient, well-informed, responsive to langauage and knowledge levels amongst the attendees, and generous with their time in terms of giving certain shy or embarrassed participants a short confidential one-to-one consultation at the end of sessions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I did a Desmond course two years ago in Brent, north-west London, when first diagnosed with Type 2. It was a weekly session. Combining dietary guidance/meal suggestions (including two actual cooking sessions in a high school home economics room) with 45minute workouts in the gym, it was a huge boost for me which I have thoroughly recommended to others.

I can understand that as a retired person I had the time available over 11 weeks which clearly working people found difficult to do, depending on the goodwill or not of their employer. I also appreciate that the quality of staff running these courses may well vary from place to place, but in my case they were brilliant - patient, well-informed, responsive to langauage and knowledge levels amongst the attendees, and generous with their time in terms of giving certain shy or embarrassed participants a short confidential one-to-one consultation at the end of sessions.
Hi and welcome Nick
Great that you got something out of the course.. how did it help you with control of your T2?
Did you follow the advice you were given and what was it?
I've never done the course although was "threatened" with it on diagnosis but luckily I'd found my way here already so had the best support in the world for my chosen therapy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It should be noted that DESMOND is a set of optional modules so that not everyone will get the same course. It seems that different health authorities use some parts of DESMOND and augment it or not. @Nick Grant 's course was 11 weeks, mine was 2 afternoons.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If any course I went on included 45 minute workouts in the gym I would have walked out straight away! :arghh:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this thread goes to prove that it's impossible to please all of the people, all of the time.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I got 1 x 3 hours afternoon.

Reactions: Fruitella

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems fairly clear that if they are still spouting off Eatwell diet strategy then it desperately needs a makeover.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did they say about diet and T2 diabetes?
It is always progressive. No such thing as a special diabetic diet, eat the Eatwell plate, carbs with every meal. Testing a no-no, it wears out our fingertips and causes anxiety, as there is nothing we can do about the results anyway.

an hour on looking at plastic models of food and portion size. Sugar are not carbs. Sugars are, well, sugar. Carbs are good and essential. Carbs = potatoes, rice, bread (wholemeal is best) pasta. We need to maintain our carb intake for bowel health, not cut them (also we need 180g of carbs a day or our brains wont work properly).

erm.................statins and blood pressure tabs are essential, even if our cholesterol and blood pressure is at a healthy level right now, as we are more prone to heart attacks.

oh and half an hour on awful complications, which will be inevitable. No mention of causes of type 2 except being a sloth, overweight and we are all going to the lowest pits of Hades for our sinful ways (I may have made the last bit up, but thats what if felt like)

And weight loss essential (despite half the ones in the room with me being slim). Definitely Obesity caused by being fat, not the other way around (according to Fung)

How to achieve weight loss? exercise (because, y'know, we are all slugs including the man there who ran marathons as his hobby and was slim) and lots of healthy carbs and low fat everything. Fats are the Enemy, the lower the better where fats are concerned. Use benecol and flora lite for heart health etc etc.

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

Thank Goodness I found this site.

Reactions: Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is always progressive. No such thing as a special diabetic diet, eat the Eatwell plate, carbs with every meal. Testing a no-no, it wears out our fingertips and causes anxiety, as there is nothing we can do about the results anyway.

an hour on looking at plastic models of food and portion size. Sugar are not carbs. Sugars are, well, sugar. Carbs are good and essential. Carbs = potatoes, rice, bread (wholemeal is best) pasta. We need to maintain our carb intake for bowel health, not cut them (also we need 180g of carbs a day or our brains wont work properly).

erm.................statins and blood pressure tabs are essential, even if our cholesterol and blood pressure is at a healthy level right now, as we are more prone to heart attacks.

oh and half an hour on awful complications, which will be inevitable. No mention of causes of type 2 except being a sloth, overweight and we are all going to the lowest pits of Hades for our sinful ways (I may have made the last bit up, but thats what if felt like)

And weight loss essential (despite half the ones in the room with me being slim). Definitely Obesity caused by being fat, not the other way around (according to Fung)

How to achieve weight loss? exercise (because, y'know, we are all slugs including the man there who ran marathons as his hobby and was slim) and lots of healthy carbs and low fat everything. Fats are the Enemy, the lower the better where fats are concerned. Use benecol and flora lite for heart health etc etc.

Oh dear. Work to be done still then.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Slice of cake with your tea?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. Work to be done still then.
I know you have clicked funny for the best of reasons, the way I have put it is amusing.

But its not. Its tragic. Completely dreadfully tragic. I have no words for how tragic this is.

It will go down in the annals of history as one of the way millions of people were wiped out in the 20th and 21st century by the medical people at the top refusing to listen to anecdotes, research and evidence on how their treatment is actively killing people every day.

sorry to be a Debbi Downer. I am off to kick something.

M

Member496333

And there we have it in a nutshell. The reason why most well informed T2 deride DESMOND.

Reactions: Flora123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But its not. Its tragic. Completely dreadfully tragic. I have no words for how tragic this is.
I think we need a shocked or OMG rating. I know it’s good to encourage positive ratings but sometimes they just don’t cover it.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In a parallel thread I was lead to believe that changes were happening already but as I suspected that is not the case, well not across the board anyway.