Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I fancy the low sugar granola, anyone know if any type of granola is acceptable? I have scrambled eggs and bacon ATM and would have cereal in addition to which would get me through till dinner which isn't until 5-6pm. Any help would be grateful for. Q.

Reactions: Evie-D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my opinion none! Not commercially produced ones I mean. Although they may be advertised as low or no sugar, the grains contained in them will make them high carb, then you’ll add more carbs by adding milk. You could make your own low carb granola, just Google it there’s loads of recipes on tinternet.

Reactions: lessci and Q007
M

Member496333

Not the best idea. I would increase fat if you are hungry. Carbs will just make you hungrier and your insulin sensitivity poorer.

Your choice of course, but 20p says you’ll regret it.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Im with @Rachox. I cant eat any cereals, they cause me to spike. That said I haven't tried porridge. Some seem ok with a small amount. But your meter will tell you. I stick to eggs any which way, continental without the bread, kippers, full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries or a nice coffee with double cream. Occasionally if my fasting blood sugar reading is very low I might have a slice of low carb bread with Leerdamer cheese or lots of bacon and a fried egg. But I can count on one hand the amount of times I've done this on one hand in 18 months as i dont want to tempt fate!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends how many carbs you can tolerate, and on portion size.

We recently bought some Carbzone low carb gluten free granolas from Amazon.
Surprisingly low carb.
My husband loves them, but they disagreed with me.
Worked out at around 6-7g carbs per portion.
Not too shabby, if they suit you.

Alternatively, if you google ‘low carb muesli’ or ‘low carb granola’ there are many recipes out there - sure to be one that suits you.

Reactions: Q007

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Depends how many carbs you can tolerate, and on portion size.

We recently bought some Carbzone low carb gluten free granolas from Amazon.
Surprisingly low carb.
My husband loves them, but they disagreed with me.
Worked out at around 6-7g carbs per portion.
Not too shabby, if they suit you.

Alternatively, if you google ‘low carb muesli’ or ‘low carb granola’ there are many recipes out there - sure to be one that suits you.

Disagreed with you? As in digest distress?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Take enough bacon to fill a bowl, make it nice and crispy then break it up into a bowl and have some runny eggs in there.

Low carb cereal sorted!

But in absolute seriousness if you're going to eat breakfast make it something low carb and fatty, heck I found that Greek yogurt over frozen berries is a good sub!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disagreed with you? As in digest distress?

My guts are silly sensitive - more so than a normal person. These granolas have soy flakes and lots of fibre. Could have been either of those that set my little special snowflake guts off. Lol.

My husband’s normal guts took to them without a murmur, and he has just reordered, so they agree with him very well.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
My guts are silly sensitive - more so than a normal person. These granolas have soy flakes and lots of fibre. Could have been either of those that set my little special snowflake guts off. Lol.

My husband’s normal guts took to them without a murmur, and he has just reordered, so they agree with him very well.

Fair enough, mine don't like the sugar alcohols... so no bars for me. Your husband is lucky, some of them do taste good, but I pay for it later.... no one wants to be around me then... :D

M

Member496333

When I was living in the US, Whole Foods had a decent selection of grainless granola which at the time I seemed to tolerate quite well. Not sure if such things are readily available from supermarkets here in the UK though.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
What am I missing with the low carb thing, after 8 weeks on the NHS XPERT course they told us to embrace carbs and to make sure they were a 1/3rd of my diet. As I've already said, I trusted and followed them; I lost weight and my Hba1C dropped to 40.
Now for reasons unknown my last Hba1C shot up to 101. I can't get my bgs down, even my night fast bloods are 10 why is that then, anyone know? I will follow advice from here although the fridge is full of baby potatoes, they told us to eat them, seeded breads and wholegrain rice and spaghetti for slow release carbs. Isn't that OK? Thank you for your kind comments. I've been diagnosed with HF and had a PCI and three stents so if my sugar stays 101 doctors said I'm on course for a large stroke, I couldn't go on if I became incapacitated like after a big stroke. Q.

M

Member496333

Embrace carbs. Yeah that’s great advice for an insulin resistant diabetic...

Reactions: HSSS

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I was doing a low GI diet with eye brow raising foods for some such as 35 grams of oats for breakfast and home made soda bread usually with pan seared Seabass / bream and low fat yogurt. With hours of exercise I got to a HbA1c of 42 / 41.

I checked all of the UK supermarkets (even the small ones) and whole food stores...turned every packet, all had carbs at around 70 grams per 100 - what a joke the mainstream is just sugar, even without adding. This is hardly surprising with knowledge to understand the constitution of grains. (I did the same exercise with rice, pasta and bread, no better).

I dropped the soda bread and changed the oats to strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, hazelnuts, Brazil's, pecans, almonds, walnuts, 2 scoops of full fat Greek yogurt with cinnamon or ginger. This would sustain me from breakfast to dinner easily. This change moved my HbA1c to 35. Today I did a while baked Seabream (spiced), 6 scallops (special price at Morrisons) and a quarter cut up coconut, still stuffed now, so will for once make sure I do a lighter dinner. (I was really good because I had cooked up 2 Seabream, but have allowed my satiety signal to kick in, rather than my eyes).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh boy - type two diabetes - the inability to deal with carbohydrates, and they advise - carbohydrates.
To get my just on the edge of normal Hba1c I eat no potatoes, no rice, no pasta because they are carbohydrate, and I spike.
I can eat the protein bread from Asda as it is less than 8 percent carbs, but I only have a packet of five slices each week.
I have lots of salads, low carb veges in stir fries, and a maximum of 40 gm of carbs a day. A couple of times a day I have coffee with cream, a couple of times a week I have berries with cream.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
With bacon and eggs I would have a tomato and maybe a courgette, sliced and fried - perhaps a green sweet pepper as well. That would get me though to a late dinner, no problem.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
People running those courses have to toe the party line on carbs. I have met a few doctors and other medically trained diabetics and, while they eat low carb themselves, they have to teach patients the eatwell plate method.

I couldn't eat any of the foods that are in your fridge but you might be able to. To find out if you can you should take a blood glucose reading just before eating and another two hours later. If the second test is less than 2.0 more than the first test then your body has tolerated the quantity of that food item that you have eaten. You should follow that protocol for each food item and also do it if you increase the quantity you eat.

We are all different in what our bodies can tolerate. There are things i can eat but which others can't and some people can eat a lot more carbs than me - and that is why it is important that each of us test to find out what we can each eat.

Reactions: sunspots and HSSS

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What am I missing with the low carb thing, after 8 weeks on the NHS XPERT course they told us to embrace carbs and to make sure they were a 1/3rd of my diet. As I've already said, I trusted and followed them; I lost weight and my Hba1C dropped to 40.
Now for reasons unknown my last Hba1C shot up to 101. I can't get my bgs down, even my night fast bloods are 10 why is that then, anyone know? I will follow advice from here although the fridge is full of baby potatoes, they told us to eat them, seeded breads and wholegrain rice and spaghetti for slow release carbs. Isn't that OK? Thank you for your kind comments. I've been diagnosed with HF and had a PCI and three stents so if my sugar stays 101 doctors said I'm on course for a large stroke, I couldn't go on if I became incapacitated like after a big stroke. Q.
The way they are telling you to eat does not work in our modern environment, your body agrees with this sentiment just like mine.

If you want to do a third of your diet as carbs, then find your safe list. I would suggest the below as starting points:

Asparagus
Broccoli
Cauliflour
Beansprouts
Celery
Raddish
Cucumber
Courgettes

If you have no autoimmune issues most of the above should be fine with good ratios of protein and fat.

XPERT is better than standard of care in my view, but for a 3 digit HbA1c person I would consider Keto as a minimum.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
The way they are telling you to eat does not work in our modern environment, your body agrees with this sentiment just like mine.

If you want to do a third of your diet as carbs, then find your safe list. I would suggest the below as starting points:

Asparagus
Broccoli
Cauliflour
Beansprouts
Celery
Raddish
Cucumber
Courgettes

If you have no autoimmune issues most of the above should be fine with good ratios of protein and fat.

XPERT is better than standard of care in my view, but for a 3 digit HbA1c person I would consider Keto as a minimum.
Afternoon, thank you for the reply, I'm switching to advice from this site. But, what is keto? Would you know why my BG is 10+ after night fast and 10.7 after scrambled eggs and bacon breakfast with squeezed lemon juice, I just dont get it. Kind regards Quentin.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on where you started from xpert may have been an improvement to your original diet. Did you lose weight as well and drop hb1ac? That may have helped regardless of what you were eating. Initially and for a while anyway. Then the continued eating of carbs probably has made your insulin resistance worse since so a more recent lapse into sugary as well as carb laden foods has caused it to go up again. What sort of hb1ac have you had since the 40 until the recent 101 and over what period of time?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
People running those courses have to toe the party line on carbs. I have met a few doctors and other medically trained diabetics and, while they eat low carb themselves, they have to teach patients the eatwell plate method.

I couldn't eat any of the foods that are in your fridge but you might be able to. To find out if you can you should take a blood glucose reading just before eating and another two hours later. If the second test is less than 2.0 more than the first test then your body has tolerated the quantity of that food item that you have eaten. You should follow that protocol for each food item and also do it if you increase the quantity you eat.

We are all different in what our bodies can tolerate. There are things i can eat but which others can't and some people can eat a lot more carbs than me - and that is why it is important that each of us test to find out what we can each eat.
Thank you, I'm testing 60 mins after e meal that's what they told us to do on the course, is two hours the correct way then? Quentin

Status
Not open for further replies.