Hypo Awareness? Help is at hand!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are susceptible to hypos, or low blood sugar, then being hypo aware is extremely important. Knowing when a hypo might occur, recognising one when it’s happening, and knowing how to manage it are all important skills that can help you to stay healthy, and even avoid hospital visits.

This is why we created the Hypo Program. The Hypo Program will help you on a journey to hypo awareness, giving you all the education, tools, and support you need to keep your blood glucose levels within a healthy range. There are also streams for parents, teachers and healthcare professionals."

We’ll take it step-by-step through 12 Modules which you can complete at your own pace, and revisit at any time for a refresher.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

Why do I have to provide a date of birth ands full postcode when I register?
This is private information which I do not share.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you tried moving forward within the form without filling that in? Postcode is not mandatory, then after general ethnicity and location you have the option to skip fields.

I hope that helps.

D

Deleted Account

Put a fake one in.
I have (obviously) but wouldn't it be better if I didn't have to lie?
The course does not need to know (or take into consideration) the details I provided such as date of birth and gender.

However, skipping through the course, I think it needs updating.
The advice for treatment does not take into consideration use of insulin pump and testing (e.g. when driving) does not mention use of CGM or Libre.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have (obviously) but wouldn't it be better if I didn't have to lie?
The course does not need to know (or take into consideration) the details I provided such as date of birth and gender.

However, skipping through the course, I think it needs updating.
The advice for treatment does not take into consideration use of insulin pump and testing (e.g. when driving) does not mention use of CGM or Libre.

It's like everything else. If you don't feel you would like to take part, it isn't mandatory to join up.

D

Deleted Account

It's like everything else. If you don't feel you would like to take part, it isn't mandatory to join up.
I think you have misunderstood - I do want to take part and have done (after lying about my date of birth).
However, having done so, I feel the course needs reviewing and possibly updating in line with recent technology such as insulin pumps and CGM.

The course is very useful, especially for someone injecting insulin and only using finger prick testing.
And would recommend it to someone who has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have misunderstood - I do want to take part and have done (after lying about my date of birth).
However, having done so, I feel the course needs reviewing and possibly updating in line with recent technology such as insulin pumps and CGM.

The course is very useful, especially for someone injecting insulin and only using finger prick testing.
And would recommend it to someone who has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Thank you.

My own personal comment would be that I do think it is probably worthwhile remembering most T1Ds out there in the wild are still on MDI, and also mainly on finger prick testing. I believe very, very few T2s using insulin are pumping, not to mention those using sulfonylurea and the like. Similarly, I am unaware of any T2s who have funded Libres.

I will, of course, pass your feedback to the relevant individuals.

D

Deleted Account

Thank you.

My own personal comment would be that I do think it is probably worthwhile remembering most T1Ds out there in the wild are still on MDI, and also mainly on finger prick testing. I believe very, very few T2s using insulin are pumping, not to mention those using sulfonylurea and the like. Similarly, I am unaware of any T2s who have funded Libres.

I will, of course, pass your feedback to the relevant individuals.
Thank you - in my experience, the members of this forum (who I assume are the audience for the hypo awareness course) are as representative of "most people with type 1 diabetes out there in the wild" as members of this forum are representative of most people with type 2 out there in the wild.
Being on the forum, means a stronger desire to learn about and closely manage their diabetes. These are the people who, are more likely to hassle their diabetes team for a pump and to self fund a Libre. (Judging from the comments on this forum, there are a high percentage of Libre users who self fund.)
And these guys are also likely to push themselves and their diabetes in ways that are more likely to lead to hypos.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The desired audience for the Hypo Programme is those who are members of the forum, or indeed anyone else with an intrest.

As you would doubtless have noticed, at the point of signing up there are various categories:

upload_2019-5-20_15-41-31.png

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried it but it doesn't seem possible to do more than one category with the same email adress. So I hope no-one's using the adress I made up to see the second one :p

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a nudge up the viewing lists for the evening traffic. :)

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It’s probably just for statistics. Age can be a relevant info. Is is anonymous anyway...?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just checking, is there a fee? The terms of service mentioned one but I'm guessing they are generic.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just checking, is there a fee? The terms of service mentioned one but I'm guessing they are generic.
Nope, it's free. It has useful information, especially if you're struggling getting your head around this whole diabetes thing. It mainly advises to look for patterns, which makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: EllieM