Insulin pump insurance - be very careful

flintyfi

I have just tried to claim for a replacement pump - and been rejected as my pump (Medtronic Paradigm Veo) is now obsolete and therefore the insurance company will NOT cover their promise to replace my pump.

I have an email from Insurance4Insulinpumps (Barrets) confirming that, according to them, Medtronic refused to provide a replacement pump and I was advised to contact my NHS diabetic clinic so they could upgrade me and ergo give Medtronic additional profits,

I have paid 4 years premiums to find that I am not covered - and at NO point was I advised that they would not replace all models.

I am sure there are many of you out there with insurance that may not be valid - be very careful when taking out this insurance that you are covered even if your pump is no longer in production otherwise you will end up like me - up the creek without a paddle.

I will be formally complaining to Medronic but in the meantime I have to wait for my diabetic clinic to try and fit me in to their extremely busy schedule.

Please check your policies.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just tried to claim for a replacement pump - and been rejected as my pump (Medtronic Paradigm Veo) is now obsolete and therefore the insurance company will NOT cover their promise to replace my pump.

I have an email from Insurance4Insulinpumps (Barrets) confirming that, according to them, Medtronic refused to provide a replacement pump and I was advised to contact my NHS diabetic clinic so they could upgrade me and ergo give Medtronic additional profits,

I have paid 4 years premiums to find that I am not covered - and at NO point was I advised that they would not replace all models.

I am sure there are many of you out there with insurance that may not be valid - be very careful when taking out this insurance that you are covered even if your pump is no longer in production otherwise you will end up like me - up the creek without a paddle.

I will be formally complaining to Medronic but in the meantime I have to wait for my diabetic clinic to try and fit me in to their extremely busy schedule.

Please check your policies.

Hello there, flintyfi - Is the issue that your insurers can't replace your (pressumably defective) pump because it isn't made any more and therefore couldn't be sourced, or for another reason?