IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
A 'nutty' solution to type 2 diabetes management

"Mixed, unsalted, raw, or dry-roasted nuts have benefits for both blood glucose control and blood lipids and may be used as part of a strategy to improve diabetes control without weight gain," said Dr. Jenkins, who also has appointments with St. Michael's Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism and the U of T's Department of Medicine. He also serves as Canada Research Chair in Nutrition and Metabolism.

I use ground almonds as the basis for b'fast porridge & instead of flour to make a "muffin" I use instead of bread/cake/potato. & nuts as snacks.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Good news. Nuts are awesome.

I've read that Walnuts (and I eat them most days!) are VERY heart healthy, and can actually repair/reverse damage to arteries...

http://www.freewebs.com/jumblebox/healthF/walnut.html

Sounds bloody good to me. They have L-Arginine in them (good stuff for diabetics!), and promote healthy sleep.

I might start taking Walnuts for breakfast and supper...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, I often have just a "handful" of almonds to nibble on, they're great for when am watching the telly and chilling, when my hubby is having tortilla chips I enjoy my almonds that way I dont feel left out of a treat to eat! Anna.x :D

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:D This is great news, I use unsalted cashews and peanuts as a snack in the evening. :D

ClaireG 06

I'm a nut lover to :) Actually, a lot of people who know me would probably say i'm just a nut :lol: :lol: I use ground almonds in cakes and eat brazils, walnuts and almonds as snacks.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Interesting. I like to snack on mixed dried fruit and nuts in the evening occasionally. May have to add a little more nuts to this now.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
anna - if it's tortilla's you're after:

Cauliflower Nacho/Tortilla Chips
==================
1 16 ounce bag of cauliflower, shredded, chopped or riced
3 eggs
3 cups cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Grease 2 cookie sheets.
Cook or thaw frozen cauliflower. Drain WELL, then shred, rice or chop. Mix with egg and cheese.
Make 12 6-8” circles on greased cookie sheet(s).
Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles.
Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees.

With a pizza cutter and while still warm, cut rounds into triangles.

Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours in a cool oven.

Store in an airtight container for max. 1 week.

Great with home made salsa dip (hot hot hot!), guacamole, jalepeno's and sour cream.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
GraTope said:
This is great news, I use unsalted cashews and peanuts as a snack in the evening.

Worst nuts you can eat, mate. Much higher in carbs than any other nuts. Diabetic fav's are:

Macadamias
Almonds
Walnuts
Pecans
Brazils
Hazelnuts (roast 'em, crush 'em, and mix 'em with some melted 90% choc and some cream for the BEST fake Ferrero roche in the world!)
Pine Nuts

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
:oops: :oops: My God !! Thanks Patch, I seem to get everything wrong. Will change immediately to almonds and hazelnuts as I love them as well. No wonder my BG is high in the mornings !! Oh, by the way, the tortilla chips recipe. WOW, great stuff. Can't thank you enough. 8) 8)

pianoman

I'm probably being a smart-a$$ but peanuts are legumes not nuts :oops: and strictly speaking, cashews are not nuts neither! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

Snacking on some raw almonds as I write this... does anyone know anything about soaking them?

Edited to add... but with that said, peanuts and cashews are probably a better snack alternative than some others :)

calisto51

I include nuts in my daily diet, walnuts are my favourite. My breakfast consist of a small portion of dates which I finely chop, walnuts coarsely chopped, a few blueberries (on offer at Tesco), a nice organic yoghurt over the top and finish off with a dessert spoon of flax seed. Keeps me going for the morning without spiking the BGs

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I love snacking on hazel nuts, especially as i get them free from my own tree in the garden :D

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, blimey patch. Wonderful recipes and ideas safe for us to hand make and then eat n enjoy... those tortilla chips sound so great and easy to do also. What type of cheese would be best to add in. Dont want to use the wrong type and end up with damage! Brilliant recipes there thanks patch. Anna.x :D

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
pianoman said:
Snacking on some raw almonds as I write this... does anyone know anything about soaking them?

soak 4 cups skinless almonds and 1 tbsp sea salt in filtered water for 7 hrs or overnight in a warm place. drain in colander, and spread on baking sheet, put in warm (150 degrees, fahrenheit) oven for 24hrs, stirring occasionally until completely dry and crisp (Aztecs dried them in the sun). Store in airtight container.

from Nourishing Traditions--Sally Fallon

pianoman

Many thanks Etty :)

I'll give that a try.

I'd heard that despite all the good nutrients -- of which they seem to find more every other day in plant-based foods -- there is also a class of "anti-nutrients" which are adapted to discourage animals from digesting them. It makes a certain sense to me that while a fruit may entice an animal in with a pleasing, look, smell, taste and a reward such as sugars; the object of the exercise is for that animal to transport the seed and (ahem) deposit it elsewhere, rather than digesting it. These might include poisons like in some raw potatoes, and chemicals which block the absorption of minerals, ultimately leaving the animal deficient and sick. Many of the traditional ways used to prepare plant-based food have been learned by our ancestors as ways to overcome these negative effects. These methods may include soaking, sprouting and cooking.

Thanks again

friar tuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetic and allergic to nuts (and fish) :D

What can I snack on? - Pills! Oh I really fancy a nice Metformin and pehaps a Januvia

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I coat almonds in high cocoa choc which are both a good source of magnesium and tastes better than pills :D
CAROL

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
friar tuck said:
Diabetic and allergic to nuts (and fish) :D

What can I snack on? - Pills! Oh I really fancy a nice Metformin and pehaps a Januvia
Cheese, meat, carrot & celery sticks