Metformin Question

Flic2019

I was given Metformin by the hospital last week. (500mg twice a day).

The closest appointment i can get with my GP is a week tomorrow. I will end up out of Metformin for approx two days as they have to fill out a brand new prescription for it.
I spoke to the surgery and they do not class running out of medication as an emergency.

Is it going to hurt badly if i dont have the tablet for two days? Ive only been on this a week so dont know how it will affect me and im not aware of any other way i can get a prescription filled.

I know you arnt Doctors and i dont expect a reply like that but just wondering if anyone else has ended up without it for a couple days. Im worrying about it quite a lot.

Thanks in advance xx

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views

The closest appointment i can get with my GP is a week tomorrow. I will end up out of Metformin for approx two days as they have to fill out a brand new prescription for it.
I spoke to the surgery and they do not class running out of medication as an emergency.

Is it going to hurt badly if i dont have the tablet for two days? Ive only been on this a week so dont know how it will affect me and im not aware of any other way i can get a prescription filled.

I know you arnt Doctors and i dont expect a reply like that but just wondering if anyone else has ended up without it for a couple days. Im worrying about it quite a lot.

Thanks in advance xx

With metformin it’s a gentle kind of drug, you may see fasting levels trending up but you haven’t been on it for long so it may not have done all that much so as long as it’s only a few days you’ll be fine. I do find it personally baffling that they don’t treat a diabetic running out of meds as an emergency though. Just take care and watch the levels, bug the heck out of them if they do get too high.

Reactions: Antje77

Flic2019

Thank you!! I thought it may be okay as it hasn't been weeks that i've been on it but just worried a little bit. I might try and ring the Doctor in the morning and just double check they cant get me in sooner. She seemed quite busy when i was there today.

Thank you for the reply xx

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Thank you!! I thought it may be okay as it hasn't been weeks that i've been on it but just worried a little bit. I might try and ring the Doctor in the morning and just double check they cant get me in sooner. She seemed quite busy when i was there today.

Thank you for the reply xx
You’re welcome! x

Seriously they should be doing more with you being new to all this because if you hadn’t come here it would be like being in the dark!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Shocked that your surgery don't see this as urgent.
One thing you could consider is cutting back on carbs on the days without metformin to reduce the insulin demands. Have a look at the low carb information for ideas.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are unable to get more tablets them maybe spread them out, take three over two days, if you are tolerating them. The ideal would be to have another prescription, but when there's no option but to cope - adapt. If it was an active drug rather than Metformin I'd say be insistent, but diet is, I believe far more important.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does your local surgery have the facility of booking a phone call from a doctor? If they do, then perhaps request a phone call (usually same day, if requested early enough) and explain you need some more Metformin. If the receptionist asks why you are requesting the call, just tell them you need some advice regarding your glucose levels ;)
I also agree with either stretching the Metformin tabs you have left or don't worry if you are a few days without them. I doubt the few days without will make much difference
Good luck :)

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff

Thanks in advance xx

It’s not an emergency. It won’t make a difference being without for a few days. I frequently run out. First time was worried but was told it really won’t matter and indeed it really didn’t matter.:)

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Can you not request prescriptions online for your Drs?
I'm sure if you are persistent they will give you one, try the practice manager if not.

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !

Thanks in advance xx

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
Hi,
Can you not request prescriptions online for your Doctor?
I'm sure if you are persistent they will give you one, try the practice manager if not.
I would take your tablets to the surgery and request a repeat prescription if you have the original hospital request take that ... they should just issue you a prescription ... surely you don’t need a doctors appointment for that and it would be quicker for you ... or if you are friendly with your pharmacy take the box you have to show them and ask if they can lend you a few until your appointment .. but try not to go with out as your body has adjusted to them already ... good luck

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've been in the same situation and asked my usual pharmacy to request it from my GP electronically and as it's a repeat prescription, they've given me the medication straight away on the occasions that I've run out.

Flic2019

I am assuming its because its a brand new doctors surgery as to why I need to make an appointment first. The doctor apparantly has to see me and sign off on it.

I will contact the surgery in the morning and ask all these questions and see if there is a way around it. I have all the paperwork the Hospital sent back with me. It mentions about the Metformin as "added to treatment" so hopefully this will suffice.

Thanks All.

Flic2019

I have spoken to the doctors this morning., they have been able to contact the hospital who have faxed a letter over to confirm that i have been put on these tablets so my prescription can go ahead without making an appointment.

Thanks so much to all of you xx