Struggling to control carb cravings

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I am fighting to maintain control of my carb eating. Things are a bit stressful at the moment, as my mother is just recovering from a second bout of pneumonia this year and sorting out the additional care she needs while she recovers has not been easy to say the least, even though I’ve had lots of help from friends. I eat a very low carb diet in order to control my BG and I know very well that I cannot eat chocolate, crisps and other junk because A) there is an immediate detrimental effect, and B) I am likely to put on weight. As a TOFI, even a couple of pounds over my ideal weight can make a big difference to my BG control. So knowing all this, WHY are my cravings over riding my reason? I am OK in the day but night time is a nightmare. I have taken to going to bed early. It sounds so feeble and I am really shocked to realise that my deeper drives can undermine all logic and reason. I am not expecting any answers; I am just disappointed to find that after all these months of sensible eating just how easily I have caved in.

Reactions: Nodemus

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am fighting to maintain control of my carb eating. Things are a bit stressful at the moment, as my mother is just recovering from a second bout of pneumonia this year and sorting out the additional care she needs while she recovers has not been easy to say the least, even though I’ve had lots of help from friends. I eat a very low carb diet in order to control my BG and I know very well that I cannot eat chocolate, crisps and other junk because A) there is an immediate detrimental effect, and B) I am likely to put on weight. As a TOFI, even a couple of pounds over my ideal weight can make a big difference to my BG control. So knowing all this, WHY are my cravings over riding my reason? I am OK in the day but night time is a nightmare. I have taken to going to bed early. It sounds so feeble and I am really shocked to realise that my deeper drives can undermine all logic and reason. I am not expecting any answers; I am just disappointed to find that after all these months of sensible eating just how easily I have caved in.

If any one of us says that what you’re experiencing is rare, they are lying. We’ve all been there and done it, the ‘why on earth am I doing this’ moments and justifying eating that poison but I firmly believe you will get back on track because you have the knowledge and awareness that most other people don’t. Now is just not your time but maybe tomorrow is.

I believe in you.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm right with you @Metabolism_Boss - sometimes I don't manage to keep the carbs out of my mind or diet, and sometimes I do. Sadly, the sometimes I do are usually outnumbered by the times I give in. This just doesn't have anything to do with reason or being informed, and I've only ever met one doctor who openly understands what I am talking about.

Reactions: Metabolism_Boss

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to get a shortlist of carb craving killing options.
Then snaffle the guilt-free whenever you need them.

For me, these are very satisfying/satiating fat rich, no or very low carb, delicious snacks.
The goal is to have stuff around that you prefer to the carby options.
My choices for this are
- a hot drink with double cream in it (cocoa, sweetener, cream, other alternatives are coffee with cream or bovril/broth with cream)
- nut butters (no extra ingredients)
- cheese, sometimes with added butter.

Again, I am only speaking for myself, but carb cravings are a sure sign of one of three things:
- either that i am still eating too many carbs and the cravings will disappear if I remove the remaining carbs, or
- i’m not eating enough, or
- my eating is somehow unbalanced. This could be craving popcorn or crisps. Well I don’t need crisps, but I may well need salt. Or if I am craving a cream cake, then i don’t need the cake, but the cream/fat needs increasing.

Hope that helps.

M

Member496333

In my experience this all hinges on the definition of “very low carb”. Many people find complete abstinence laughably easy, and sustained moderation almost impossible.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Thank you all for your empathy and helpful comments. I've been pretty good over the weekend and now I'm back in the routine I am hoping that I can stick with it until I get over the carb cravings again. Jim, I normally stick to around 30g of carbs,but I take your point about maybe no carbs is better. I am a creature of habit, and it may be that no carbs could be something I could get used to.

Reactions: Goonergal
M

Member496333

Thank you all for your empathy and helpful comments. I've been pretty good over the weekend and now I'm back in the routine I am hoping that I can stick with it until I get over the carb cravings again. Jim, I normally stick to around 30g of carbs,but I take your point about maybe no carbs is better. I am a creature of habit, and it may be that no carbs could be something I could get used to.

To be fair, zero carbs is next to impossible, but I found the notion of it far easier to adhere to than “counting”. Most of my carbohydrate comes from overground vegetables but the net quantities are so low that there’s no need weigh/count. I’m actually moving more toward carnivore as my protein tolerance improves.