C Peptide Results are in- I'm producing a good amount of insulin! Type 1?!

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi again,

Ok so my dr recently requested a c peptide test to see if theres a chance I am type 2...been diagnosed as type 1 for ten years..constantly high sugar levels no matter what i do... just had a letter back from the dr and it says I am producing a good amount of insulin..see attached photo. They dont want to see me for 4 months though?! I'm super confused, anyone ever been in this situation? Tia x

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi again,

Ok so my dr recently requested a c peptide test to see if theres a chance I am type 2...been diagnosed as type 1 for ten years..constantly high sugar levels no matter what i do... just had a letter back from the dr and it says I am producing a good amount of insulin..see attached photo. They dont want to see me for 4 months though?! I'm super confused, anyone ever been in this situation? Tia x
See letter attached...
1558277379988.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So are you still injecting insulin? That, plus your own good amount, and you still have high blood sugar levels? That to me sounds like your body is severely insulin resistant, or the c-peptide test was skewed for some reason. What has your doctor had to say about nfuture management?

I love your nails. Very envious!

Reactions: lcarter

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

Hiya, my c peptide came back as lower than that. I recall the notes from the lab said my c peptide was LOW and my blood glucose was HIGH. I think my c peptide was 444 pmol/L and at the time my blood glucose was 13 (I think?!?)

I’m now waiting my MODY test results to come back but for me it seems I do not produce much insulin on my own...

For now, I’m on basal and bolus insulin....

Reactions: lcarter

Ashintheuk

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Insulin
This is I guess good news. I have been T2 for 12 years, and suspect I have a high degree of insulin resistance. O went onto insulin last month.
My doc refused to put me forward for the C peptide test when I asked citing cost and because 'it's only called for checking if corpses have been murdered with insulin'
He didn't really take me seriously

Ashintheuk

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Insulin
Says a lot for the practice if the diabetic lead thinks diabetes is a joke.
It's actually significantly better than the one I left. I suspect it's just my health trust penny pinching and the C peptide test being under the radar right now. I only heard about it from here a few weeks ago. I'll look to get it done at one of the Spire medical centres. They charge £170

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's actually significantly better than the one I left. I suspect it's just my health trust penny pinching and the C peptide test being under the radar right now. I only heard about it from here a few weeks ago. I'll look to get it done at one of the Spire medical centres. They charge £170
Have a look at Medichecks. I had my c-peptide done a few years back with them due to a useless diabetes GP and the cost is below £100. You do need to travel to one of their listed medical centres to have the bloods taken. Some NHS hospitals will take the blood which I used but they may not understand taking the voucher.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you feel the c-peptide would be beneficial to you, there are companies who will do it for you, for a fee, less than £170.

Medichecks come in at £99, plus the blood draw: https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/c-peptide

Medichecks have a sale on at present, of 20% off all blood tests purchased before the end of May, using the code TUK20. This is 20% off the test. If you choose to buy phlebotomy services, they are not discounted.

To access tests use the following link: https://healthunlocked.com/api/redirect?url=https://tinyurl.com/y4lznpbb

All tests "last" 6 months from the point of purchse, so provided they are bought by the end of May, they need to be used by the same date in November.

Blue Horison is a bit more at £179.

For clarity, I have no relationship with Medichecks, except as a customer. I am a member of the Thyroid UK forum, where this information is hsoted: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts/140634501/medichecks-may-sale

Hopefully that covers transparancy and potential for conflicts of interest. :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My doc refused to put me forward for the C peptide test when I asked citing cost and because 'it's only called for checking if corpses have been murdered with insulin

That is the history on why the test was created and the branch of machine that created it.

Reactions: Ashintheuk

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The discoverer of proinsulin was Donald F. Steiner MD. His work led directly to the development of the C-Peptide test.

"
The discovery of proinsulin established the field of protein-precursor processing, paving the way to understanding how many other peptide hormones—as well as neuropeptides in the brain and endocrine system—are made and processed. Don and his colleagues later discovered the larger precursor of proinsulin, which they termed preproinsulin. This was a major advance for the understanding of peptide and prohormone processing generally. Don’s work also made major contributions to the understanding of the class of enzymes, termed prohormone convertases, that covert proinsulin to insulin along with other processing functions. His insights helped colleagues all over the world, as he traveled widely and was a frequent keynote speaker. Don had many collaborators throughout the United States, Europe, Japan, and Israel. He was an honorary member of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
The immunoassay that Don and Arthur Rubenstein developed for the C-peptide of proinsulin provided a critical independent indicator of insulin secretion, as further developed by Kenneth Polonsky and many others (3, 4). This immunoassay has become a standard tool in the diagnosis of insulin-secreting tumors of the pancreas and the evaluation of the success of islet transplants.
The discovery of proinsulin enabled the pharmaceutical industry to improve the purity of insulin preparations extracted from animals and paved the way for biosynthetic human insulin production. The immunological characterization of the proinsulin molecule allowed the pharmaceutical industry to introduce improved methods of purification of insulin to yield monocomponent insulin, leading to insulin preparations that were less likely to provoke an immune response. Don and his colleagues demonstrated that proinsulin could be cleaved to mature insulin by combined treatment with trypsin and carboxypeptidase B, which became the basis for the industrial production of recombinant human insulin (5). His work enhanced the management of diabetes and created a better life for millions of individuals with diabetes worldwide."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4313841/

Ashintheuk

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Insulin
If you feel the c-peptide would be beneficial to you, there are companies who will do it for you, for a fee, less than £170.

Medichecks come in at £99, plus the blood draw: https://www.medichecks.com/diabetes-tests/c-peptide

Medichecks have a sale on at present, of 20% off all blood tests purchased before the end of May, using the code TUK20. This is 20% off the test. If you choose to buy phlebotomy services, they are not discounted.

To access tests use the following link: https://healthunlocked.com/api/redirect?url=https://tinyurl.com/y4lznpbb

All tests "last" 6 months from the point of purchse, so provided they are bought by the end of May, they need to be used by the same date in November.

Blue Horison is a bit more at £179.

For clarity, I have no relationship with Medichecks, except as a customer. I am a member of the Thyroid UK forum, where this information is hsoted: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts/140634501/medichecks-may-sale

Hopefully that covers transparancy and potential for conflicts of interest. :)
Many thanks for this. I'll get it done

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
So are you still injecting insulin? That, plus your own good amount, and you still have high blood sugar levels? That to me sounds like your body is severely insulin resistant, or the c-peptide test was skewed for some reason. What has your doctor had to say about nfuture management?

I love your nails. Very envious!
Thankyou, French ombre apparently!

Im still injecting insulin, yes! It's crazy isn't it? I called the diabetic nurse yesterday and she told me to just relax....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I know, the only way to get numbers down is to either inject more insulin or to eat very low carb. The problem is, if you are severely insulin resistant the more insulin in your body, the worse the resistance becomes and the more insulin you need, which is a vicious circle.

I think you need to see an endo and get this sorted out, with more tests. Or try a very low carb diet. I wouldn't be waiting 4 months to see a doctor.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
As far as I know, the only way to get numbers down is to either inject more insulin or to eat very low carb. The problem is, if you are severely insulin resistant the more insulin in your body, the worse the resistance becomes and the more insulin you need, which is a vicious circle.

I think you need to see an endo and get this sorted out, with more tests. Or try a very low carb diet. I wouldn't be waiting 4 months to see a doctor.
Exactly. Im eating very low carb right now.. but I'm alarmed they will wait that long.