Slimming World

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to SW for 6 months last year, after a referral from my GP. I was put off by all the low fat foods that they were pushing; I knew low fat had always been my downfall in the past. I also didn't like the fact that snacks are allowed, particularly fruit or snack bars. I felt I needed to get out of the habit of reaching for a snack - especially one in a packet. I just used the weekly sessions for a weigh-in and I followed LCHF having 2 or 3 meals a day. If you follow the SW lowest carb plan (not sure what it's called - 'original' maybe?) it could work for you. Their diabetic leaflet is pretty bland and not at all helpful. To be honest I got better dietary advice from this forum and some low carb websites.
Yes but it is the social aspect of being with others that are doing the same thing having a cup of tea and a chat that helps people . Yes the advice is good here but many people still need the face to face contact to give them the incentive to keep going with their weight loss

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but it is the social aspect of being with others that are doing the same thing having a cup of tea and a chat that helps people . Yes the advice is good here but many people still need the face to face contact to give them the incentive to keep going with their weight loss
The trouble is most of the others are not diabetic so we aren't all doing the same thing. I was quite put off by folks chatting about how they had cheated and hoped it wouldn't show on the scales. Not quite the same for a T2 who has BGs to worry about as well.as weight. The face to face thing can be a negative as well as a positive experience.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
i know this is an old post
ive been doing slimming world for 3 years
struggled at first but since being diagnosed type 2 ive lost 4 1/2 stone and got the greatest loser award
i do low carb high fat and its working, lots of roasted veggies, egg and bacon pies with the fat on the bacon (wraps instead of pastry)
mango mash (sweet potatoe, white potatoe with skins mashed with cream and mango chutney, sometimes ill add cheese), fish in sauce
full fat greek yogurts
slimming world is high carb low fat which is why i struggled at first
have to admit ive been eating carbs lately and weight loss has slowed down (this week burger rolls and a calzone which i seen a 3 1/2 lb gain on the scales, my fault)
but i love going to group, have made many friends there
did switch to WW for a while but to me it wasnt the same
my group is just like one big happy family, they know im diabetic and have thyroid problems