Freestyle libre sensor

Haleema85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,
I have been put onto the Freestyle libre sensor by my local hospital. According to the hospital my GP should be able to supply this as the CCG has approved it.
My GP’s practice have contacted me today (7 days left on my sensor) to say that they can’t supply the sensors as they are not on their formulary and issued me with a blood meter instead.
I am completely baffled as to why they can’t supply it and why on earth would I want another meter when testing my fingers was my biggest problem; I get the feeling this is a cost issue. I’m really unhappy. Any advice?
I appreciate your thoughts, Haleema x

Reactions: Knikki

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know to get mine on prescription (finally got it today) I had to have a letter from the consultant at the hospital to tell the GP to prescribe it, as they were apparently not allowed to prescribe it without approval for me from the hospital (my CCGs rules I think).
So you might need to get the consultant to send his/her approval through to your doctors - I'd be contacting your consultant/hospital clinic asap to sort it out - as it may not be quick.

Haleema85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know to get mine on prescription (finally got it today) I had to have a letter from the consultant at the hospital to tell the GP to prescribe it, as they were apparently not allowed to prescribe it without approval for me from the hospital (my CCGs rules I think).
So you might need to get the consultant to send his/her approval through to your doctors - I'd be contacting your consultant/hospital clinic asap to sort it out - as it may not be quick.
Thank you Rokaab.
Well this was on the back of a letter from the hospital to issue it, so it just doesn’t make sense. I will call my diabetes nurse and hopefully things get sorted.
I hate testing my fingers and I really don’t want to go back to having to do that again

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Rokaab.
Well this was on the back of a letter from the hospital to issue it, so it just doesn’t make sense. I will call my diabetes nurse and hopefully things get sorted.
Ah, in which case yes definitely talk to you DN about it.
I hate testing my fingers and I really don’t want to go back to having to do that again
Do note that the libre does not completely eliminate finger pricking, as its not always accurate - some people find them very inaccurate, you will still have to test if it says you are going hypo, and often at higher levels it may be quite a way out as well.

D

Deleted Account

I hope you have been given some training for the Libre before it was handed out.
Libre is NOT a replacement for finger pricking.
When I was given approval for the Libre I was told to finger prick test at least once per day.
I was also told how to use the Libre trends and arrows and to always check hypos and hypers.

Haleema85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I rely on the libre if I am perfectly honest- you are very sensible in your suggestion and I should be finger testing too. Thank you x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I rely on the libre if I am perfectly honest- you are very sensible in your suggestion and I should be finger testing too. Thank you x

Look, I relied on mine perfectly happily for 8 months. It then became hopelessly inaccurate, so you do need to check occasionally just to make sure it's still behaving. :). Remember it lags 15 minutes behind fingerpricking.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I finger prick very rarely these days - the libre is accurate enough for me. Stabbing is reserved for calibrating xdrip (at least once every sensor) and for when the number it gives me disagrees with how I'm feeling.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I met a chap who works for Abbott, yesterday. A T1 and a very enlightening individual too.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a dressing down in the past for naming names. And also the gentleman in question was speaking to me in confidence. For those that have asked I will PM you. He is a T1 blogger so some of you may have encountered him before.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but even if you omit a name they can still be traceable from the rest of the detail. Such as blogspot, YouTube vids etc. Anonymity can be hard to preserve in this day and age.