Type 2 Rising BG. I don’t understand.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is almost a year since I was diagnosed with T2. I’m slim and through low carb I managed to maintain my weight but drop my Hba1c down to 36 in three months and maintain it at 36 since. I’ve had the odd short blip along the way but something has recently changed.

Since the beginning of April I have had constant readings of 7s or 8s with the odd 9. It just won’t go down and I have stopped noticing the odd 4 after a glass of wine in the evening. My diet is the same as I always have - 2 eggs for breakfast, salad with avo or chicken for lunch occasionally wiith avlow csrb jelly and cream as a pudding, and meat and green veg for dinner (which I try to eat early). If I do snack it’s on nuts, cheese or cold meat - I like to keep things simple. I maybe have one square of 90% choc a week and I haven’t had any beige stuff in over a year.

I just don’t understand what is going wrong recently. I was ill a couple of weeks ago but I’m better now. I tried fasting to “reset” but that didn’t make any difference. I have tried skipping breakfast but it just keeps climbing. I’ve tried skipping dinner but it is still high and never dips. I’ve tried cutting down on protein too. My FBG was 7.6 this morning and after breakfast it is 8.4. Even after my usual walk it is still high which is strange as it always dipped after a walk.

Any suggestions wise ones, please... I’m getting worried. Thanks

Reactions: Freema

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect it has something to do with your recent illness. Be patient, it should work out soon.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You should be seeing a doctor to mark the one year - or at least I believe that is the theory - my GP seems to be sulking. I'd suggest requesting an appointment with someone, to see if you can organize bloodtests.
It might be your recent illness, but best to seek advice if it is available at your local GP practice.

Reactions: Freema and Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect it has something to do with your recent illness. Be patient, it should work out soon.

Thanks. But it had risen before that. Feeling really frustrated and my skin feels itchy which I assume is the higher BG.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@xfieldok is probably right, since illness is hard on blood sugars, but I gave to ask.... Have your antibodies and insulin production been checked? Is there any chance you're T1 LADA ?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should be seeing a doctor to mark the one year - or at least I believe that is the theory - my GP seems to be sulking. I'd suggest requesting an appointment with someone, to see if you can organize bloodtests.
It might be your recent illness, but best to seek advice if it is available at your local GP practice.

Thanks. Yes I should be due a checkup although not sure he is interested. I feel as if I’ve been abandoned by the GP. I will call to check I’m due a chat.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@xfieldok is probably right, since illness is hard on blood sugars, but I gave to ask.... Have your antibodies and insulin production been checked? Is there any chance you're T1 LADA ?

I did have it checked a year ago. I had a negative GAD test and a urine C Peptide that 2.8 ratio and 3.9nmol whatever that means. Not sure if it made a difference that the meal I ha to eat before the test was very very low carb. I had no instructions of what to eat before it. At the time my GP and endo couldn’t understand my getting DM. They always seemed a bit baffled by it all which didn’t fill me with confidence.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget your numbers will go up whilst you are brewing an illness. Hope you get some help from the GP.

Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't forget your numbers will go up whilst you are brewing an illness. Hope you get some help from the GP.

I know. It just seems to have been such a long time. I’m panicking about every ache or pain in case it is caused my the constantly unfavourable BG.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Flora, it sounds like this has been going on for 6 weeks or more. I would definitely go back to the Drs otherwise you (and the rest of us) are just guessing. x

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Flora, it sounds like this has been going on for 6 weeks or more. I would definitely go back to the Drs otherwise you (and the rest of us) are just guessing. x

I know. I was hoping someone might think of something I Hadn’t thought of. My doc has in the past said that it’s not that bad. Not sure they worry if it’s under 10!! I just wish I could speak with a forward thinking knowledgeable professional but I can’t. To be fair the doc is good but he always seems baffled with me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Flora - Perchance did you start a new batch of test strips around the time this happened? I don't ncessarily mean a new pot, but pots from a different batch?

I have sometimes found a different batch of strips can read highr or lower than I might routinely be expecting.

(Your recent period of being under the weather could be implcated tpp.)

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is almost a year since I was diagnosed with T2. I’m slim and through low carb I managed to maintain my weight but drop my Hba1c down to 36 in three months and maintain it at 36 since. I’ve had the odd short blip along the way but something has recently changed.

Since the beginning of April I have had constant readings of 7s or 8s with the odd 9. It just won’t go down and I have stopped noticing the odd 4 after a glass of wine in the evening. My diet is the same as I always have - 2 eggs for breakfast, salad with avo or chicken for lunch occasionally wiith avlow csrb jelly and cream as a pudding, and meat and green veg for dinner (which I try to eat early). If I do snack it’s on nuts, cheese or cold meat - I like to keep things simple. I maybe have one square of 90% choc a week and I haven’t had any beige stuff in over a year.

I just don’t understand what is going wrong recently. I was ill a couple of weeks ago but I’m better now. I tried fasting to “reset” but that didn’t make any difference. I have tried skipping breakfast but it just keeps climbing. I’ve tried skipping dinner but it is still high and never dips. I’ve tried cutting down on protein too. My FBG was 7.6 this morning and after breakfast it is 8.4. Even after my usual walk it is still high which is strange as it always dipped after a walk.

Any suggestions wise ones, please... I’m getting worried. Thanks
Did you eat high carb meal before that?
My number are not high but I am also stuck at particular reading and my BG is also refusing to go down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know. I was hoping someone might think of something I Hadn’t thought of. My doc has in the past said that it’s not that bad. Not sure they worry if it’s under 10!! I just wish I could speak with a forward thinking knowledgeable professional but I can’t. To be fair the doc is good but he always seems baffled with me.

My opinion is you need to see your GP or nurse, and take along details of your readings - before this happened, and now. They should be interested in this trend upwards, wher4eas they may not be too concerned about under 10s. It is the trend that matters.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flora - Perchance did you start a new batch of test strips around the time this happened? I don't ncessarily mean a new pot, but pots from a different batch?

I have sometimes found a different batch of strips can read highr or lower than I might routinely be expecting.

(Your recent period of being under the weather could be implcated tpp.)

No but I also double checked with a different meter from time to time :(

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you eat high carb meal before that?
My number are not high but I am also stuck at particular reading and my BG is also refusing to go down.

No. I haven’t eaten anything close to a high carb meal for a year.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My opinion is you need to see your GP or nurse, and take along details of your readings - before this happened, and now. They should be interested in this trend upwards, wher4eas they may not be too concerned about under 10s. It is the trend that matters.

Yes you are right. They aren’t pro testing but may find the info helpful. I have to say the nurse is worse as she was telling me I need to eat 40-50% carbs and was horrified at the thought of low carb but was shocked at how low by BG was last time we spoke. Not up to date at all. Sigh.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am a type 1, so sometimes my numbers just like to go up for no apparent reason. But a couple of times it turned out I had a tooth infection. Infection treated and my numbers went back to normal right away.