Keto sweetener?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Anyone recommend one? Im using canderel currently...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on what you want to use it for... Most sugar alcohols have a vile aftertaste, so stuff like erythritol isn't exactly good for tea or coffee, in my opinion, but it does well enough in my cinnamon/cacoa omelettes; no aftertaste then. Can't stand stevia in a hot drink, but it is fine in full fat greek yoghurt or whipped cream, though I don't sweeten those anymore now I'm used to a sweetnerless life for the most part. Artificial sweeteners usually taste better, but I went overboard with the Natrena (50 per day, thereabouts, plus diet coke), and basically destroyed my gut last summer, and am still recuperating a year on. Very unpleasant, so careful with that stuff. There's a mix of stevia and erythritol, Sukrin I think, which is passable, but I don't know if that's available where you are under that name. Insanely expensive though. Good for baking and does alright in a double espresso, but again, I've become accustomed to going without. (Or I put a dollop of cream or clotted cream in, or butter.). Heard good things about monk's fruit, but that's not available in the Netherlands, so I haven't tried it yet. So basically, for tea I have no workable alternatives. For eggs, yoghurt and baked goods, the erythritol and/or stevia are fine.

Looking forward to see what others suggest! Good luck with the search eh.

Reactions: 1spuds and lcarter

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I use it in coffee, that's all. But I use quite a bit.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use it in coffee, that's all. But I use quite a bit.

You could try going without? As it turns out I don't like coffee anymore, since my palate changed. Not having 5 scoops of sugar in every cup shifted things a bit, and now it's too bland! It's just espresso that's doable now. When I feel it's too bitter I toss some dairy in with a milk frother. But yeah, coffee.... The erythritol/stevia blend could work. Don't need much, thankfully, because it's worth more than its weight in gold. ;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Stevia and Truvia without any drastic comfort room side effects. I have used it to make keto ice cream with double cream.

Reactions: 1spuds

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to admit to using saccharin! I'm not sure if it's the 'best' or not re blood glucose levels, though, but doesn't seem to have much effect on my levels - that I've associated them with ;)

I get them from Savers - "SuperSweet' (really cheap) and they fit nicely into the little blue Hermacetas (also saccharin) container, which can be slipped into pocket or handbag etc ;)

Reactions: 1spuds and lcarter

Mbeira

I use Erythritol but it doesn't dissolve in brownies, leaving a crunchy texture so I have to heat my coconut oil up to hot and mix the Erythritol in so that it dissolves before I let it cool and make the brownies. Also for bakers, note that this sweetener does not heat up in cake when it's cooking so won't cook it as fast, so they need longer.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Erythritol but it doesn't dissolve in brownies, leaving a crunchy texture so I have to heat my coconut oil up to hot and mix the Erythritol in so that it dissolves before I let it cool and make the brownies. Also for bakers, note that this sweetener does not heat up in cake when it's cooking so won't cook it as fast, so they need longer.
Truvia seems to dissolve into the ice cream mixture, so no crunchy texture.

Katie43M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I don’t often reply to things but read a lot!! I researched all sugars when first diagnosed with T2 about 4 years ago. I settled on erythritol and have used it ever since for everything. It is not the cheapest but is very economical on the whole. I find that in recipes I never use the full recommended amount as it is very sweet. In brownies etc I use the powdered erythritol which is perfect. In drinks I don’t use anything but my hubby uses it quite happily. So in short I fully recommend erythritol. For anything extra where powder or granules are not practical I use Stevia liquid. I hope this helps. Love the forum! Kate 43M

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
You could try SWERVE. It uses Erythritol and is available granular like sugar. Also safe for pets. Most artificial sweeteners are dangerous for pets. Good for baking and measures like sugar. www.swervesweet.com and available on Amazon.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Whichever one you like that doesn't send your blood sugar rocketing, ,so you need to test after taking any to find out. They may say calorie free etc but some are high carb and can affect blood sugars quite badly.

Mbeira

Thats why I use Erythritol, proven NOT to raise insulin levels. From my non-diabetic point of view, this means weight loss and faster into full ketosis, and staying there.

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was an interesting note from Dr. Hyman, as I guess that you can still continue to crave sweet things when continuing to use artificial sweeteners. Makes sense, since unsweetened coffee and tea at first tasted bitter. Now I hate anything sweet in my coffee or tea. Sweetened meat is very unpleasant now, and something like almonds and blueberries do taste very sweet to me now. Tastebuds are back in business.

From https://drhyman.com/blog/2014/08/18/one-test-doctor-isnt-save-life/

Remove all sweeteners.
Far from the free pass some people consider them, artificial sweeteners can raise insulin levels and contribute to insulin resistance. One study in the journal Diabetes Care found sucralose (Splenda) could raise glucose and insulin levels. Give up sugar but also stevia, aspartame, sucralose, sugar alcohols like xylitol and maltitol, and all of the other heavily used and marketed sweeteners unless you want to slow down your metabolism, gain weight, and increase insulin resistance. Many of us have lost touch with what constitutes “sweet,” and we have to retrain our taste buds to appreciate the natural sweetness of, say, natural vanilla or roasted almonds.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that in recipes I never use the full recommended amount as it is very sweet.
Im finding out the same thing.Since my palate has adjusted to less sugar,a little now goes a long way.Found exact same thing when I cut the processed foods loaded with salt,now a bit of salt delivers intense flavor.Very cool!

Reactions: JohnH2019

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
What I keep reading is that stevia is the least bad fake sugar since it is a plant. Candarel = maltodextrin (does affect insulin) + aspartame + acesulfame potassium.

On another thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/artificial-sweeteners.164511/#post-2056612

I just saw this link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30997499
I tried stevia ONCE! Never again... 'XyloSweet' comes in handy little packets. It is great to keep a few in your handbag, manbag, or just stuffed in pocket. It is 100% Xylitol and never leaves an after taste. Plus it's 0 carbs

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Im finding out the same thing.Since my palate has adjusted to less sugar,a little now goes a long way.Found exact same thing when I cut the processed foods loaded with salt,now a bit of salt delivers intense flavor.Very cool!
I found exactly the same thing.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes