What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

Considering my agnostic stance on lots of LC/Keto concoctions I would also endorse the All day etc site. Amazing celebration cake recipe which is now my birthday cake replacing 60+ yo family rice crispie cake (in the shape of a cat) birthday tradition. Tweaked easily with ganache as any mention of frosting/icing is anathema to me. The food fairy has tweaked it into both a coffee and walnut version and black forest version. Full recipe makes an enormous cake but will be perfect now our tribe keeps growing.
https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/c...-sour-cream-frosting-low-carb-and-gluten-free

That sounds fabulous!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds absolutely delicious!
It was. The puree stuffing was mostly salmon and I finely chopped the prawns and mixed that in too. Parmesan and a touch of cream was enough to bind. I sliced the scallops and put them inside (would have been sacrilege to puree scallops). Excess prawns went into the sauce with the samphire and the rustica mushrooms.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I look at oxtail on the counter at Waitrose but dont know how to cook it. Any suggestions bearin mind I dont have an IP (?) yet!
Oxtail was not my favourite but my sister used to do it as it was a favourite with Italians. You don't need an IP or a slow cooker to do it as you can slow cook in the oven in something like a Le Creuset casserole with a lid.
Anyway, cooking. Give the oxtail a rinse and pat dry with kitchen towel if it needs it (it usually did in Italy). Add some olive oil to your casserole, then the ox tails and brown all over. Remove from the casserole.
Next stage you need a soffritto - a mix of diced carrot, onion, celery and garlic. I believe you can buy a soffritto mix in Waitrose. I make mine as it is so easy with my dicer on the Kenwood.
Add a little more oil to the casserole if it needs it and add the soffritto. Cook for about 10 mins to soften a little. Pre heat your oven to 130c fan.
Put the ox tail back in the casserole then add 400 mls red wine and reduce a little. Then add 500 mls beef stock, couple tsp tomato puree, couple of bay leaves, fresh rosemary or thyme and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer giving an occasional mix then lid on and into the oven for about 3 hrs.
It will need a couple of checks and if it is starting to look like it needs liquid add a little more stock or water. Meat should be falling off when it is ready.
This is a fairly typical Italian way of cooking and it does produce delicious meats and sauce.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone!! Has anyone heard of keto vegetarian? I was thinking about trying keto vegan out for a week or two as an experiment but I'm not sure now - it seems a bit extreme - maybe keto vegetarian might be a good place to start. :wacky::facepalm:

Today....
Meal 1: 2 egg mayo on crackerbread
Meal 2: Cheese
Meal 3: M&S lamb meatballs with a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses drizzled over, Greek salad (feta, tomato, olives and olive oil and herbs) plus some baby chard leaves (first cut of the year from the garden) and a Greek yoghurt and garlic dip
Dessert: leftover strawberries from the weekend
Drinks: BDC, SSW possibly CFDC
I was reading an article this morning in one of the online newspapers about the Hybrid Diet which is switching between keto and low GL and seems to be veggie based. Had a look on Amazon but it isn't one of the look inside books.
They are maintaining the switching allows you to have more carbs but GL ones so slow release. I need to read a lot more on it first. Maybe someone has a better idea what it is.

Reactions: gennepher

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carolyn's (All Day I Dream About Food) recipes are great. I think quite a few of us have cooked her recipes. Are you on CMT?

Edit: Oh, and most of her recipes are easy to scale down.
She's joined diet doctor as well with periodic recipes.

Reactions: Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.5 FBG 6.1 - was distracted by GoT yesterday but had a day off as well as it was a school in service day. So better catch up on yesterday before today gets in the way.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of Dr Almond brot with pate.
L. Post aqua. Another 2 slices of Dr Almond toasted with a topping of sliced tomato and grated cheese.
D. Changed numerous times as I'd bought 3 days worth in but ended up with rack of pork ribs which I spiced with a new Schwartz chimichurri mix. It's a dry mix and I much prefer it to the wet mixes.
Last of the SF jelly with raspberries and cream.
Love name for the newest granddaughter @@ianpspurs. My 2 grandsons have 3 names to satisfy family traditions but the smallest is not too enamoured with his 2 of Julian Raphael as a nod to the Italian side. He maintains that Julian Raphael is his bad boy side so if he gets in bother "it wasnt me! It was Julian Raphael!"

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 thank you so much for taking the time to post method for cooking oxtail. I will write it into my Diabetes journal which I used to record info, tips, recipes, etc. Otherwise I just forget!
It's just one method but one I use a lot - even although ox tail isn't my favourite. I have to admit the method is very tasty.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think I'm definitely Mrs Grumpy today. Another boring but very busy food day...

Breakfast: 2 eggs mayo on crackerbreads (this is no longer doing the job of stopping my Dawn Phenomenon from rising any further like it used to)

Lunch: managed to find time to grab a chunk of Brie - came close to grabbing one of Mr C's apples to go with it but restrained myself

Dinner: Chicken curry and cauliflower rice

Dessert: baked spiced rhubarb with Asda' s 'Authentic' Greek yogurt (Makes me wonder why they bother calling their normal GY 'Greek Yogurt') I'll let you know what this 'authentic' one is like. It seems Asda only sell my favourite Turkish yogurt (within reasonable yogurt buying distance) in the central Doncaster store.

Drinks: Black decaff coffee, still spring water, caffeine free diet coke

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@PenguinMum

I use the @Goonergal method to cook oxtail which is basically dump it in the slow cooker pour over a good splash of juices from previous meat or red wine and at garlic and/or herbs if you like them then leave it on low for ten or eleven hours. Really nice!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum

I use the @Goonergal method to cook oxtail which is basically dump it in the slow cooker pour over a good splash of juices from previous meat or red wine and at garlic and/or herbs if you like them then leave it on low for ten or eleven hours. Really nice!
Thanks @Chook but I dont have (as yet) an IP. Havent made my mind up about it and will wait for the smaller version to be available.

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What I have eaten today

Black coffee and couple cubes chocolate first thing about 6am

I am in grazing mode today.
Started at 11:30 am
Boiled eggs and cheese
Chicken and cheese coleslaw with a handful blueberries thrown in the coleslaw
Just been nibbling that little lot until 3 pm

Other drinks were 2 black coffees with cream, normal tea and cream, water with a few grains of salt and lemon in it.

That’s it for today. Will be more teas and water with a few grains salt and lemon squeezed in

>^..^<

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use it with other meat too?
Yes. Any cheap cut of red meat that is liable to be tough otherwise works well with this method. When I cook tripe I use a variation on this method I.e. no wine, less stock and a mix of beans - black eye, kidney and cannellini. Soffritto mix is pretty much a constant. Can use with chicken but red wine becomes white and the stock becomes chicken. Herb would likely be tarragon. Obviously, cooking time would be a lot less.
As @Chook says a lot of these you can pop in a slow cooker although I'd still brown/saute before adding to a slow cooker (just as I do with the IP) but oven works just as well.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Chook I'm vegetarian. Low-carb is definitely doable but it's much more restricted than if you eat meat and fish, so you have to put up with eating the same meals all the time. And yes, there's a lot of cheese involved.

Some of my go-to meals are:

- Paneer curries with cauliflower rice
- Spiralised courgette 'spaghetti' in cheesy sauce
- Quorn burgers with melted cheese on top
- Feta salad
- Omelette with cheese/mushroom
- Stir fried aubergine
- Quorn 'chicken' casserole

I don't make anything elaborate but maybe that will give you some ideas.

Today's menu:

Breakfast - Frozen berries and cream, coffee with coconut oil

Lunch - Veg curry

Dinner will be 'chicken' in Nando's sauce with fried aubergine on the side.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Any cheap cut of red meat that is liable to be tough otherwise works well with this method. When I cook tripe I use a variation on this method I.e. no wine, less stock and a mix of beans - black eye, kidney and cannellini. Soffritto mix is pretty much a constant. Can use with chicken but red wine becomes white and the stock becomes chicken. Herb would likely be tarragon. Obviously, cooking time would be a lot less.
As @Chook says a lot of these you can pop in a slow cooker although I'd still brown/saute before adding to a slow cooker (just as I do with the IP) but oven works just as well.
Am I right in thinking browning meat before slow cooking/IP etc is meant to improve the flavour? My taste buds must be shot as I can never taste the difference - including doing same with sofrito. Difference (for me) seems to be choice of meat. Ox cheek is best for me with the rest on a sliding scale down to stewing steak which would only be used if there had somehow been a huge mistake.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Chook I'm vegetarian. Low-carb is definitely doable but it's much more restricted than if you eat meat and fish, so you have to put up with eating the same meals all the time. And yes, there's a lot of cheese involved.

Some of my go-to meals are:

- Paneer curries with cauliflower rice
- Spiralised courgette 'spaghetti' in cheesy sauce
- Quorn burgers with melted cheese on top
- Feta salad
- Omelette with cheese/mushroom
- Stir fried aubergine
- Quorn 'chicken' casserole

I don't make anything elaborate but maybe that will give you some ideas.

Today's menu:

Breakfast - Frozen berries and cream, coffee with coconut oil

Lunch - Veg curry

Dinner will be 'chicken' in Nando's sauce with fried aubergine on the side.

Thats brilliant @PepperTed Very helpful - thank you very much!

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs