Seitan - Make or Buy

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
If I wanted to make seitan strips to add to a herby country stew then I might add some herbs to the mix, but I'd more likely make them as savoury smokey flavour and add herbs to the stew itself.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Made the tender seitan "steaks" today. Trial and error has told us we do prefer them - loads of texture, chewy and very tasty. I'll whip up a smoky marinade for a couple of them and we can pop the others in the fridge for mid-week. They'll be fine.

I always thought the stuff was so complex to make. It's dead simple! Chuck the ingredients in the processor, pulse until it forms a ball, turn out onto a board and cut into however many you want to make. Flatten 'em out and pop them in the steamer. Job done. Quick tip - for the tender seitan, spray with oil where the steaks touch either each other or the steamer baskets or they'll stick. (We have a multi tiered bamboo steamer - cheap and they worked for centuries so why fix it if it ain't broke). If it's the more textured seitan, you don't need to spray with oil.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I came across a receipe for pepperoni seitan the other day. I'm going to try it on Wednesday.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/easy-vegan-seitan-pepperoni/

If it turns out as well as her other stuff, it'll be gorgeous. I can see pepperoni on our pizzas in our future! Just trying to imagine if the pepperoni seitan would go with bbq jackfruit and peppers on a pizza....

Try saying "peppers and pepperoni on a pizza" very fast, ten times .......

Reactions: LooperCat

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Wow! It worked! Wahey :woot::woot::woot: I now have two rolls of pepperoni flavoured/coloured/textured seitan. Hoorah!!!

Oh yeah - I marinaded a piece of the tender seitan in Italian herbs & oil, and have fine sliced it. Today I'm making a seitan, tomato and spring onion quiche for dinner. Going to add some herbs, but the crust itself I've left with just the normal salt. Pastry is in the fridge cooling down at the moment while I slurp some tea. Sadly I made far, far too much pastry crust. I feel some quiche tartlets coming on, so I'd better fry up some onions and find something else to chuck in them.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Going to have a go at seitan not-sausagge rolls tomorrow. I'll need to add extra herbs/flavourings to the seitan but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Looking forward to it.

Actually, we enjoy the stuff so much we've bought a new, huge set of bamboo steamer baskets. Means I can steam the seitan all in one batch, and one another night I get to use just one ring to steam several different vegetables. Beats our old small stack into a cocked hat. (whatever that actually means).