Test strips and VAT

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always wondered about whether as a T2 "In remission" I should be claiming VAT free for test strips.. well today I got the definitive answer from HMRC

"In reply to your enquiry dated 18/03/2019 regarding blood test strips. While the condition exists and you need the items mentioned you will be able to claim for the strips. when the chronic illness/disability is no longer present then the relief will end
I hope this helps with your enquiry "

Hmm well not really.. Anyone care to translate...?

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I replied

"Well not really.. It's a great fudge from you guys.. but can a chronic condition ever be "no longer present" ?

Do I "need" the items.. well I think I do because without measuring my blood sugar I can't see if the "chronic" condition is being well controlled.. however as my GP won't prescribe them then they obviously don't think that I "need" them.

I think more clarity is required
Many thanks
Mark"

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s definitely a grey area, another reason to stay on Metformin! ;) No seriously it’s a vicious circle, if you don’t test you wouldn’t see if things were going wrong and your diabetes might ‘come back’. If you do test the chances are higher that you’ll stay in remission.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
It’s why I am glad my DN is so afraid of DKA, she keeps me stocked with strips so I don’t go into it (no one tell her I’m on keto!) But I agree, you need to test to keep it at bay, it’s simple.

Reactions: jjraak

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Good luck in getting clarity from HMRC.

I deal with them every working day and getting an answer that isn't contradictory or rambling and vague is quite the achievement. my view is that if you have ever been diagnosed with diabetes then you are more "at risk" of it coming back and therefore you are never completely in the clear and therefore the condition is lifelong.

But I know nothing.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I do because without measuring my blood sugar I can't see if the "chronic" condition is being well controlled..
And the important bit here is 'well-controlled' as that's what it is, it's not gone, it's not been cured, you still have diabetes.

Paul Varney

As a T2 newby.

Haven’t tested my blood sugar on the small machine- is this worth trying to ask my doctor for or is it pay as you go

Thanks for any advice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 newby.

Haven’t tested my blood sugar on the small machine- is this worth trying to ask my doctor for or is it pay as you go

Thanks for any advice
If you can get one and some strips from your doctor then take it and use it.. however its highly likely that the doc will have been given it by the manufacturer because the strips are expensive and that's what the running cost is. So when you run out of strips and you think it has taught you something buy your own meter with cheaper running costs.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Until some one categorically states that you CAN reverse T2D, be cured and it can NEVER return,
then you are only ever in remission.

So the need to measure to CONTROL that remission state, is de facto controlling the diabetes, all be it the 'return'.
but it IS required for that control, imho.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re not cured, but controlled. If you are controlled by drugs it’s obvious. Instead you are controlled by diet and testing of that diet. Without that treatment there would be no dispute you are still diabetic as your numbers would be the proof. That’s my opinion anyway. Do your medical records specify anything that might contradict claiming vat exemption?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’re not cured, but controlled. If you are controlled by drugs it’s obvious. Instead you are controlled by diet and testing of that diet. Without that treatment there would be no dispute you are still diabetic as your numbers would be the proof. That’s my opinion anyway. Do your medical records specify anything that might contradict claiming vat exemption?
Well "In Remission" might cause a slight problem I guess...?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm, just had a quick look and all the definitions I can find of medical remission all refer to it not as a cure or lack of disease but a lack of symptoms or illness caused by a disease. Some actually state disease may still be present or that it’s not a cure. I’m sure if challenged you’d be able to find enough similar examples to create “reasonable doubt”.

Paul Varney

If you can get one and some strips from your doctor then take it and use it.. however its highly likely that the doc will have been given it by the manufacturer because the strips are expensive and that's what the running cost is. So when you run out of strips and you think it has taught you something buy your own meter with cheaper running costs.

Is this not supplied by the nhs

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
I always wondered about whether as a T2 "In remission" I should be claiming VAT free for test strips.. well today I got the definitive answer from HMRC

"In reply to your enquiry dated 18/03/2019 regarding blood test strips. While the condition exists and you need the items mentioned you will be able to claim for the strips. when the chronic illness/disability is no longer present then the relief will end
I hope this helps with your enquiry "

Hmm well not really.. Anyone care to translate...?

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
My surgery comes under Leeds NHS and I understand that they have instructions not to issue supplies to type 2. Maybe if using insulin then that is different,.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery comes under Leeds NHS and I understand that they have instructions not to issue supplies to type 2. Maybe if using insulin then that is different,.
Pretty much the norm across England with a few lucky exceptions

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy my own and don't pay the vat .. surgery never offered them. in my eyes a short sighted measure although a lot of HCP's don't understand how the data could be very useful.