Getting angry and annoyed at myself for having bad control

Ryann1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get so angry at myself when I see that stupid reading of 14.5 or 12.3 it just sends me into a angry rage, Iv smashed pens and thrown dishes at times when I see it. I guess its all that cortisol flowing through my blood.

Anyone experienced this ?

How damaging are these types of highs if there treated quickly with a correction dose ?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go the other way and feel deep oppressive guilt with a side of shame - even though I know I'm not alone and I do work very hard indeed on not doing it.

Oops sorry also I'm type 2. Does going for a walk work for you?

Reactions: Knikki

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am almost 75 and worked in labs all my life, started when I was 17. A couple of years after I started I used to go over to a small hospital one morning a week with the consultant pathologist. He did his bit and I did the blood tests (no such thing as a phlebotomist in those days, took the blood and did the analyses)!

One man I did was in his late 30s and was waiting for a renal transplant and when he had left and I said to the old nurse what a shame it was. She had known him since his diagnosis and he wouldn't listen to people and went out drinking with his friends and ate all the things he shouldn't and often ended up almost comatose so his problems were of his own making.

I am not suggesting anything like that with you just a reminded of how damaging high glucoses can be. I don't know if you are eating the wrong things/ not controlling your insulin etc. but rather than |getting in a rage which increases cortisol levels which puts your glucose even higher ask to see your Dr to sort out your insulin dose for what you eat.

Good luck and do please try to control your glucose level better for your long term health.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get so angry at myself when I see that stupid reading of 14.5 or 12.3 it just sends me into a angry rage, Iv smashed pens and thrown dishes at times when I see it. I guess its all that cortisol flowing through my blood.

Anyone experienced this ?

How damaging are these types of highs if there treated quickly with a correction dose ?

Hi Ryann, it must be so frustrating for you, can you tell us a typical day? @jpscloud, I do find exercise helps to keep mine a point or two lower but I don't think anyone's is going to drop by 6/7 points. It's usually all down to the insulin for a type 1, too much or not enough and an absolute b**** to control. I know other posters mean well but to be honest I don't think many know what it is like when you have done everything you can and it still won't play ball. So easy to blame yourself for 'eating the wrong things', 'not getting your insulin right' as if it was simply mathematics but it's far more complicated than that. x

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ryann, it must be so frustrating for you, can you tell us a typical day? @jpscloud, I do find exercise helps to keep mine a point or two lower but I don't think anyone's is going to drop by 6/7 points. It's usually all down to the insulin for a type 1, too much or not enough and an absolute b**** to control. I know other posters mean well but to be honest I don't think many know what it is like when you have done everything you can and it still won't play ball. So easy to blame yourself for 'eating the wrong things', 'not getting your insulin right' as if it was simply mathematics but it's far more complicated than that. x

Although not a T1 diabetic I so agree which is why a consultation with his Dr/Consultant would really help.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’d say not really if levels sit around at 11-14.5. I sigh and ah at my level and sit and wait for it to come down after correction dose or give novorapid a chance to catch up in it’s 4hour window. It’s either not enough insulin, your carbs shot up your bg levels or novorapid is still trying.

14.5++ mmol/l for a long time could be quite damaging if left untreated.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I really share your frustration and pain. I read Dr K Beirnstein's Diabetes Solution when feeling that way. It reminds me of the journey I'm on and the science of large numbers.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
he wouldn't listen to people and went out drinking with his friends and ate all the things he shouldn't and often ended up almost comatose so his problems were of his own making.
We're talking T1 here. And regardless of type, drinking with friends is well possible without problems to your diabetes, as is injecting for food for T1's. Yes, there are foods that make control harder, depending on quantity, but there are no things you shouldn't eat with T1.

And @Ryann1990 , I'm afraid we don't know how damaging those spikes are. One of the frustrating parts of diabetes is that one person can have high bg for years and go without much complications for many decades while others get trouble after a shorter time.
I get the anger when getting high readings, and I make quite a few sacrifices to try to avoid them, with mixed success.

Good luck!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Diabetes is frustrating isn’t it? Those days where you do the same thing but get a reading twice the one yesterday?
It is better to try and avoid prolonged highs so prebolusing, frequent testing or flash/cgm can help you avoid the highs

Ryann1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah it’s all deeply annoying. Think it’s what I’m eating that is the problem.

I start with morning which I’m normally 6.5 when waking up then 8.5 or 9.0 after breakfast before lunch it might shoot up to about 10.00 and then be 7.5 after lunch and here’s where things mess up the evening it can bounce about a lot ranging from 12.5 to 16.8 at times iv tried changing my dosages. I feel my blood sugar changing if that makes sense like I feel really sick or shivery when it rides past 10 then I get tearful now I knowthis might be depression but who knows just feel so weird in my body latley

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Ryann1990 - sounds like you need a basal test, have you done one before?