Some good news today

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I came here when first diagnosed at beginning of February with a hba1c of 88. I was with my GP for only a few minutes while she prescribed Metformin and basically told me just to crack on. Like others I felt scared and bewildered but got fantastic advice from people here. Although I don't post very much I visit regularly and am grateful to those who do post and offer so much advice and wisdom.

Finding this forum was the best thing I could have done. By mid February I had gone low carb (30-40g per day) and did lots more research and reading. I never got up to the full dose of Metformin despite no side effects. Usually just one after dinner. Today I got my first three month test result which was 41. I have been using a monitor so was hoping for a big drop but still lovely to have it confirmed.

Weight loss is frustratingly slow despite a fairly strict regime, 16:8 etc but now 1.5 stone since New Year. Would like to lose the same again or a bit more. I don't think full keto is for me but may experiment to see if it helps. I haven't touched pasta, rice or potatoes since diagnosis and honestly haven't missed it. The occasional slice of bread but I am only human! I am walking a lot but not exercising as much as I would like partly due to 11 hour office days and a 1 hour commute each way. Will try to improve on that.

So a lot more to do but I feel so much more positive than when I first came here. Thank you.

Libby

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I came here when first diagnosed at beginning of February with a hba1c of 88. I was with my GP for only a few minutes while she prescribed Metformin and basically told me just to crack on. Like others I felt scared and bewildered but got fantastic advice from people here. Although I don't post very much I visit regularly and am grateful to those who do post and offer so much advice and wisdom.

Finding this forum was the best thing I could have done. By mid February I had gone low carb (30-40g per day) and did lots more research and reading. I never got up to the full dose of Metformin despite no side effects. Usually just one after dinner. Today I got my first three month test result which was 41. I have been using a monitor so was hoping for a big drop but still lovely to have it confirmed.

Weight loss is frustratingly slow despite a fairly strict regime, 16:8 etc but now 1.5 stone since New Year. Would like to lose the same again or a bit more. I don't think full keto is for me but may experiment to see if it helps. I haven't touched pasta, rice or potatoes since diagnosis and honestly haven't missed it. The occasional slice of bread but I am only human! I am walking a lot but not exercising as much as I would like partly due to 11 hour office days and a 1 hour commute each way. Will try to improve on that.

So a lot more to do but I feel so much more positive than when I first came here. Thank you.

Libby

Wow! That’s ace. Massive well done to you!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Libby
Well done Libby you’re doing an amazing job with your blood glucose levels. I’m sure if you carry on more weight loss will happen. Congratulations.

Reactions: ziggy_w

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not? With such brilliant results from cutting carbs then with keto you'd probably knock it out of the park.
Good question, thank you. I did try it for a few days but struggled with the amount of fat I had to consume to hit the macros even though I do have full fat Greek yoghurt, cream in coffee etc. Perhaps that's because of years of being conditioned to think that fat is bad. Also I am not a huge meat-eater although I am now eating more than before. So far I feel I need the flexibility that those extra few carbs give me and want to be on a regime I can sustain long-term. Perhaps I am making wrong assumptions here though and will look into it a bit more.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @libbylondon great results! Another vote for keto from me. You sound like you have the determination to get where you want to be whichever path you choose.

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations @libbylondon great results! Another vote for keto from me. You sound like you have the determination to get where you want to be whichever path you choose.
Thanks Goonergal, actually I have never had much willpower before but the incentive with this condition is so powerful and I actually am feeling much better and enjoying what I eat more than before. Like others here, the diagnosis has been a strangely good thing in some ways, if not in others.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
....Although I don't post very much I visit regularly and am grateful to those who do post and offer so much advice and wisdom.

Finding this forum was the best thing I could have done. ....

hi libby...you had me at.."Finding this forum was the best thing I could have done. "

and it is good that people like you come on here...find a lot of info and then improve.

Because we need people like YOU who can pass on THAT knowledge, to help calm and prove to people like these..

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.161160/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...e-with-some-chat.22272/page-1781#post-1919468

that this disease CAN be be tamed..by ordinary folk, using quite ordinary means...:D

marvellous result...well done you...:)

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done @libbylondon , keep up the good work! I always say my diagnosis was a blessing in disguise too.

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi libby...you had me at.."Finding this forum was the best thing I could have done. "

and it is good that people like you come on here...find a lot of info and then improve.

Because we need people like YOU who can pass on THAT knowledge, to help calm and prove to people like these..

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.161160/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...e-with-some-chat.22272/page-1781#post-1919468

that this disease CAN be be tamed..by ordinary folk, using quite ordinary means...:D

marvellous result...well done you...:)
Thank you .. I remember you were one of the first to post such a supportive reply to my original message on joining. I definitely will share with others whenever I can.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

Libby
What an inspiration you are. Huge congratulations.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but struggled with the amount of fat I had to consume to hit the macros
You only have to eat enough to keep you feeling full and having energy. If you are trying to maintain weight then enough fat to do that too. Eating fat to a goal is a myth. Eat to satiety and to achieve weight goals (loss, maintenance or gain)

Great results so far. Give yourself a high five

libbylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You only have to eat enough to keep you feeling full and having energy. If you are trying to maintain weight then enough fat to do that too. Eating fat to a goal is a myth. Eat to satiety and to achieve weight goals (loss, maintenance or gain)

Great results so far. Give yourself a high five
Thank you! I think that's where I am getting confused with keto vs lchf and weight loss generally. Not sure if I am eating too little or too much fat. More research needed ... that's my next task.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I think that's where I am getting confused with keto vs lchf and weight loss generally. Not sure if I am eating too little or too much fat. More research needed ... that's my next task.
It’s true for both. Eat what YOU need to fat wise not what a random calculator says. Protein is important to protect muscles so don’t skimp or overdo it too much or it can act in a similar, but lesser, way as carbs .

I’ve read carbs are a limit
Protein is a goal (but don’t go mad)
Fats are a lever (adjustable)