Hello!

mikecasselden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Selfish people without feeling or respect for others.
Hello, I have just registered. I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne in the UK and have type 2 diabetes which I successfully control via a vegetarian diet. My battery, so to speak, goes up and down and I get the occasional low blood sugar necessitating a good old Scottish oatcake which is a sugar-free complex carbohydrate and usually gets me going again.

I am one of two Patient Safety Champions for North East England and sit on the Strategic Health Authority's Safer Care Committee. I did Diabetes UK's training as a user representative a few years ago and was on the Diabetes Network in Newcastle for a while. I was also secretary of the Newcastle Diabetes UK volunteer group which I helped to set up a few years ago, but now concentrate on the PSC role. I also have epilepsy and osteoporosis (plus other boring conditions), so health issues and the ability of patients' to have a say, is very important to me as are Patient Care Plans.

I have done healthy eating talks and early this year contributed to insulin training for healthcare workers organised by the NHS's National Patient Safety Agency which, of course, the Government is abolishing along with the PCTs and the SHAs. The 'Think Glucose' campaign giving insulin dependent diabetics greater powers of self management in hospitals, was something I wanted to champion.

Also, I am particularly concerned about the effect that the Government's so called health 'reforms' will have on patients, especially those with diabetes. The fight against the use of generic drugs for long-term chronic conditions seems to have been won, but we must remain alert to the erosion of local diabetes services, such as podiatry as cuts bite and the move from secondary to primary healthcare takes place. Cheers, Mike

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Hi, and welcome to the site Mike,

Daisy 1 will probably be along any time now and link you in with the pertinent information for newbies.

Nice to meet you.

Cheers
Ailz

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum :) I can see from your intro that you know more about diabetes than I do :lol: So I am not going to post you the usual information we give to newbies that Ailz mentioned :roll: But we are very glad to have you as a member.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi mike, welcome to us all here. You are already an active spokes man and campaigner in health and diabetes areas and future issues and changes will be happening as you say. Its good to have you introduce yourself and to join us. Please feel free to browse and read various threads of your choice on the forum. Ask any questions you feel/need to. Plenty of help and support on here with most areas of diabetes. Anna.x :D