Blood in cannula!

Unicornz

I was due a set change this morning but when I changed it I noticed blood was leaking into the cannula. I changed the cannula but it happened with the second one as well! It washed out when I filled the cannula but it keeps dripping back. I have one more cannula in my bag, should I change it again or do you think it wouldn't do much harm? It's also stinging quite a lot.

I've had blood in my cannula before but never twice in a row, I'm a bit scared it will just happen again when I change it again and also I don't really want to waste any cannulas if it's not really needed! What do you guys think?

Unicornz

Update: I changed the site again and it's fine now. Feel bad about wasting cannulas like that but I suppose good BG levels are a bit more important in this case :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Sounds like you did the right thing. You don't need to worry about a little bit of bleeding, but i would have changed it too as not to aggrevate it further.

Probably just a coincidence you had two 'bleeders' in a row.

I hate wasting stuff to but like you said health is more important.

Glad its all fine now :)

Vikki2

You did the right thing. My 5 yr old used to use cannulas (she now uses a stainless steel needle set) & we sometimes got blood in the cannula. Sometimes it just boluses out but often doesn't. Usually when this happened her BG levels would go really high. Might be coincidence that it happened twice in a row or might be that the area you are using needs a break.
Good luck with everything!
Vikki