Blood test results

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 10 years - LCHF 2 years - Down 20 Kg - HBa1c down from 11 and steady at 5.9 Morning FBS 5 to 6.

I have been a bit lax in arranging blood tests of late, normally getting a full set every 3 to 6 months. I have to plan a holiday and go somewhere with a lab so was unable to do so frequently.

I had a set from May 2018 and went again in March this year.

Most were ok but 2 of them give me cause for concern.

1 Cholesterol

Test May 2018 March 2019

Cholesterol 184 (4.75) 263 (6.81 HIGH)

Triglyceride 116 (2.99) 141 (3.65)

HDL 45 (1.16) 49 (1.27)

LDL 117 (3.03) 186 (4.81 HIGH)

2 Uric Acid 6.3 7.5 (HIGH)

Based on my own research I stopped statins well over a year ago (along with metformin) so expected a rise in lipids.

I suffer from neuropathy but the high uric acid rise suggests gout.

I am looking for suggestions on how to reduce cholesterol while staying on keto/LCHF, and, if it is possible to have gout at the same time as neuropathy. I am wondering if there is a deficiency in something and if there is another useful test(s) I can include next time?

In the meantime I started on acerola cherry extract supplements and they seem to help a little.

Thanks for reading.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @tom_r_orr,
We on site cannot diagnose or provide medical advice.
I woukd suggest subscribing to zoeharcombe.com and reading everything she writes about.
She has researched saturated fat, heart disease, cholesterol, low carb diets etc and sorted nutritional research 'wheat' from 'chaff'', fake science and news from the real and gives a good, independent take on all the literature.
Her writings are also good to reference for any GPs who may press you about cholesterol and statins.
The highish urate level you will need to sort out with your GP, but i just point out that uric acid/urates comes from certain foods and fruits.
What does the acerola cheery extract contain in the way of uric acid or urates?

Reactions: Prem51

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @tom_r_orr,
We on site cannot diagnose or provide medical advice.
I woukd suggest subscribing to zoeharcombe.com and reading everything she writes about.
She has researched saturated fat, heart disease, cholesterol, low carb diets etc and sorted nutritional research 'wheat' from 'chaff'', fake science and news from the real and gives a good, independent take on all the literature.
Her writings are also good to reference for any GPs who may press you about cholesterol and statins.
The highish urate level you will need to sort out with your GP, but i just point out that uric acid/urates comes from certain foods and fruits.
What does the acerola cheery extract contain in the way of uric acid or urates?

Thank I will check that out. As a supplement, acerola cherry is claimed to reduce the level of uric acid in the blood. Also a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants

I am interested in what foods on keto would be less prone to increase cholesterol levels.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In one of her blogs Zoe mentions that the LDL Cholesterol is caculated from the total and HDL cholesterol results. It is not measured directly.
The calculation happens to overestimate LDL C when persons are on low carb diets and underestimates it when persons are on hi carb diets. So the LDL C result is not accurate.
Second - i suggest you read Zoe Harcombe first - you may find your question is then superfluous.
Rather i would suggest you find two or more sites about urate content of various foods, and see whether your doctor agrees with any alteration in diet you might consider on the basis of those lists.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 10 years - LCHF 2 years - Down 20 Kg - HBa1c down from 11 and steady at 5.9 Morning FBS 5 to 6.

I am looking for suggestions on how to reduce cholesterol while staying on keto/LCHF, and, if it is possible to have gout at the same time as neuropathy. I am wondering if there is a deficiency in something and if there is another useful test(s) I can include next time?

In the meantime I started on acerola cherry extract supplements and they seem to help a little.

Thanks for reading.
How long were you fasted before the blood sample was taken?

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long were you fasted before the blood sample was taken?
Unusually it was almost 24 hours as the bus journey took much longer than scheduled so only sipped water all the trip. Normally I work on nothing to eat after 6 pm and eat around 11 am next morning

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unusually it was almost 24 hours as the bus journey took much longer than scheduled so only sipped water all the trip. Normally I work on nothing to eat after 6 pm and eat around 11 am next morning

That may explain the heightened triglyceride level.. your body was mobilising fat for fuel hence higher levels which was the only thing that stood out to me as being sub optimal on your results. No idea on the uric acid but was the sample taken before you set off on the trip or after?

Reactions: kitedoc

tom_r_orr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That may explain the heightened triglyceride level.. your body was mobilising fat for fuel hence higher levels which was the only thing that stood out to me as being sub optimal on your results. No idea on the uric acid but was the sample taken before you set off on the trip or after?

All samples were taken with blood drawn on arrival at the lab at 5 pm. I got a whole raft done and all the others are pretty normal.