Just had my hba1c

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just had my hba1c results after a fasting glucose test of 8.1. The hba1c test result is 53 and the doctor wants me to have another one

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. Unfortunately that hb1ac is indeed in the diabetics range, as was the fasting one so it does look likely. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html. Your dr is being thorough though. I was diagnosed on one hb1ac followed by a fasting with similar figures to yours last summer.

It’s totally understandable that you are worried but please try not to be. It doesn’t have to be doom and gloom the way it has historically been portrayed. It doesn’t have to mean getting sicker and sicker. In fact there’s quite a number of us that consider ourselves to be healthier than we’ve ever been since finding out about our condition. (It was there before we knew and would still be there even if we hadn’t been tested). The difference is we can do something about it and turn things around now. We can stop doing the things that make it worse and start doing the things that will help.

You’ve had the welcome from daisy1 so take another read of that and also have a cuppa and take a read of the links I’ll attach below. It’ll be ok. We’ve all been in your worried shoes and by and large come through it ok and got a handle on this. Personally although my first choice would obviously be to have never been unlucky enough to get diabetes I’m glad I finally found out I had it and got the chance to improve my health, weight and life. I never knew what the problem was til diagnosis, nor how consistently blurgh it made me feel.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Reactions: mashandsoph

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
I can only imagine how upsetting the idea of being fully diagnosed as diabetic might feel like from having thought you had control over the progression of it to perhaps feeling helpless at having got seemingly worse. I would say that 53 is around the same mark I was when diagnosed as diabetic and while I cannot say how it will be like for you or what you may be required to do, I personally felt relieved it wasn’t worse or higher. There’s certainly ways to help with lowering your bg figures through diet and movement if you aren’t already aware now might be a time to look into those options too. You’re in one of the best places to get information to make more informed decisions for yourself. Don’t worry too much you’ve got this!

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome. Unfortunately that hb1ac is indeed in the diabetics range, as was the fasting one so it does look likely. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html. Your dr is being thorough though. I was diagnosed on one hb1ac followed by a fasting with similar figures to yours last summer.

It’s totally understandable that you are worried but please try not to be. It doesn’t have to be doom and gloom the way it has historically been portrayed. It doesn’t have to mean getting sicker and sicker. In fact there’s quite a number of us that consider ourselves to be healthier than we’ve ever been since finding out about our condition. (It was there before we knew and would still be there even if we hadn’t been tested). The difference is we can do something about it and turn things around now. We can stop doing the things that make it worse and start doing the things that will help.

You’ve had the welcome from daisy1 so take another read of that and also have a cuppa and take a read of the links I’ll attach below. It’ll be ok. We’ve all been in your worried shoes and by and large come through it ok and got a handle on this. Personally although my first choice would obviously be to have never been unlucky enough to get diabetes I’m glad I finally found out I had it and got the chance to improve my health, weight and life. I never knew what the problem was til diagnosis, nor how consistently blurgh it made me feel.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.
Thank you for that I really appreciate you taking the time to reply

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can only imagine how upsetting the idea of being fully diagnosed as diabetic might feel like from having thought you had control over the progression of it to perhaps feeling helpless at having got seemingly worse. I would say that 53 is around the same mark I was when diagnosed as diabetic and while I cannot say how it will be like for you or what you may be required to do, I personally felt relieved it wasn’t worse or higher. There’s certainly ways to help with lowering your bg figures through diet and movement if you aren’t already aware now might be a time to look into those options too. You’re in one of the best places to get information to make more informed decisions for yourself. Don’t worry too much you’ve got this!

Thank you for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it, I’m going for another test next week to confirm so need to wait for that but I am going to definitely look into ways of getting it down regardless

Reactions: 1spuds
M

Member496333

I wouldn’t stress too much about arbitrary labels. You were already diabetic anyway, just not much. Sure, it’s now a little bit worse, but there’s no better place you could be to get the help you need in order to get it back under control.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @mashandsoph I have merged your 2 duplicate threads into this one, duplicate threads can cause confusion with those members responding so for clarity it's easier to maintain one thread per subject, thanks :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My HbA1c was 53 on diagnosis, and was confirmed with a second one, although my fasting BG was a lot lower than yours. By my next test I was in the pre-diabetic range, and dropped test on test after that. No medication - just diet.

I think it is better to have a diabetes diagnosis than float around in the pre-diabetes range. With a diagnosis you get put on the care pathway, which includes more frequent blood tests, an annual retinal eye screening test, and annual foot checks. All these are important for diabetics, and are not routinely available for pre-diabetics. At the end of the day it is just a label. Your blood sugars have been higher than acceptable for a while, so now you can do something about it and receive the appropriate care.

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My HbA1c was 53 on diagnosis, and was confirmed with a second one, although my fasting BG was a lot lower than yours. By my next test I was in the pre-diabetic range, and dropped test on test after that. No medication - just diet.

I think it is better to have a diabetes diagnosis than float around in the pre-diabetes range. With a diagnosis you get put on the care pathway, which includes more frequent blood tests, an annual retinal eye screening test, and annual foot checks. All these are important for diabetics, and are not routinely available for pre-diabetics. At the end of the day it is just a label. Your blood sugars have been higher than acceptable for a while, so now you can do something about it and receive the appropriate care.
So did you just do diet control no medication? That’s good to hear you’ve done really well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So did you just do diet control no medication? That’s good to hear you’ve done really well

Yes, medication was never offered to me. An HbA1c of 53 is relatively low and often a 3 month period of diet only is suggested before medication. It depends on the protocols of individual surgeries. Meds can help, but must be taken alongside a suitable diet. Diet is the key.

Reactions: mashandsoph

mashandsoph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Probably a stupid question but I’m having another Hba1c next week, can I get my reading down in that time or is it wishful thinking

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
They say that the most recent two weeks have a big effect, so in theory yes if you cut carbs. But if you are diagnosed you will get more health checks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You won't be able to drop it down to under 48 (pre-diabetic levels) and why would you want to at the moment? I said earlier, it is far better to be just over the T2 cut off level than just under it because you get taken care of better. It may drop a point or 2, but not much more.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You won't be able to drop it down to under 48 (pre-diabetic levels) and why would you want to at the moment? I said earlier, it is far better to be just over the T2 cut off level than just under it because you get taken care of better. It may drop a point or 2, but not much more.

Yes.
I made the mistake of rapidly dropping my blood glucose in order to prevent a diagnosis.
Thought it was a good idea at the time.
How wrong I was!

Without an official diagnosis I am left out in the cold without foot, eye and blood tests, and no medical prefessional believes me if I try and discuss my glucose dysregulation.
It leaves me totally alone to manage my condition, and should my health deteriorate in future, I will have to let it deteriorate significantly enough to ‘prove’ there is a problem.

Wish I had waited for that diagnosis before sorting things out.