Addicted to Diet drinks (Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Diet Pepsi and 7UP Free and anything else 'Zero')

charlie000

i completely hear you. I went through 2x20 12oz (355ml) can pack of Coke Zero & Diet Dr. Pepper in 4 days. Was house bound resting my hip & back. I just crave the bubbles. I'm an addict.

I'm sure you've read the very reasonable theory that these artificial sweeteners actually increase our carb cravings since the body isn't getting what it expects from the sweet taste. But me, i just love the bubbles.

I keep threatening to buy one of those home soda makers but to date it's simply a threat.

If anyone could make a decent soda using only pure whole plant stevia I'd buy it by the case, assuming it didn't require selling a lung or lobe of my liver to afford it.

You're not alone!
Not buying bulk loads again... I don't know what it is, since I went LOW CARB I have had more craving of diet drinks.. I don't spend money on my usual chocolate sweets cakes so it's just sitting there lol...

charlie000

I feel insanely **** after having diet drinks, I don't know if its the caffiene or sweetners.. I am going to do my best and stop them save a bit of money and have on as a treat when I have a meal out... long drive or something like that

before I did LCHF I was never on the level of diet coke consumption as I am now... I would have it once aweek, if that now its daily....

Breck Lundin

Personally, I don’t see that as a problem. I only drink coffee and no sugar fizzy stuff.

There’s no way I’d be paying that much for a few cans though, the knock off stuff of all the supermarkets is just as good.
when you only shop based on sale prices, at least over here, the prices are pretty much the same for name or house brand. But sans a good sale I'm on the Brand-X bandwagon too.

Here prices for brand name 12-pack standard 355ml cans have reach nearly the same price point as beer. About $5.99 vs $7ish for beer. That's an outrageous price for flavored water and i just say no. Beer, prices are too high for my good sense so only once in a while.

Over here the grocery stores are using a decades old retired tactic of deep discounts if you buy, and it varies, 4, 5 or 6 of whatever softdrink brands. For a couple buying 5 twenty can cases or even 5 two-liter bottles is just too much bulk. So Walmart we go for their house brand poison at 87¢ for a 2-liter bottle. Their diet creme soda or rootbeer is a nice switch.

Breck Lundin

I feel insanely **** after having diet drinks, I don't know if its the caffiene or sweetners.. I am going to do my best and stop them save a bit of money and have on as a treat when I have a meal out... long drive or something like that

before I did LCHF I was never on the level of diet coke consumption as I am now... I would have it once aweek, if that now its daily....

That's interesting that your body seems to crave the diet soda more on a good low carb diet. I'm going to keep an eye on myself. I wonder...

i too get a sense of being unwell plus headaches if i drink diet clear soda or a few of the sweetened flavored fizzy water options. Doesn't happen with other types.

Here there is a brand called Crystal Geyser which offers a plain unsweetened flavored small line of drinks in 1L bottles with zero sweeteners. Lemon, lime and peppermint. Like lemon or lime. The bubbles are smaller and actually more satisfying compared to sodas larger bubbles. But they are about $1/L bottle. Not a lot so i buy only a few per week. Nice soda substitute are a break from the chemicals.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been known to add the juice of half a lemon to sparkling water in order to jazz it up a bit. These days I operate a zero fructose policy so don’t bother, but the lemon juice may be worth a try for those wanting a bit more excitement from water.
Exactly.I too was a diet coke addict.Hurt my back,had surgery and literally couldnt lift a 12 pack of soda.After a few months I tried some again and it tasted HORRIBLE. Give me lemon water all day long and Im a happy camper.
LOL,I cant stand it now,yet Im an owner of one of the best dividend stocks in the world,CocaCola.Yup.Couldnt get me to drink the stuff,but truth be known,I'll have an extremely rare coke made with sugar,we are talking less than one a year though.

charlie000

That's interesting that your body seems to crave the diet soda more on a good low carb diet. I'm going to keep an eye on myself. I wonder...

i too get a sense of being unwell plus headaches if i drink diet clear soda or a few of the sweetened flavored fizzy water options. Doesn't happen with other types.

Here there is a brand called Crystal Geyser which offers a plain unsweetened flavored small line of drinks in 1L bottles with zero sweeteners. Lemon, lime and peppermint. Like lemon or lime. The bubbles are smaller and actually more satisfying compared to sodas larger bubbles. But they are about $1/L bottle. Not a lot so i buy only a few per week. Nice soda substitute are a break from the chemicals.
yeah crazy cravings, it just helps me RELAX

Reactions: Breck Lundin

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is a lifestyle change if you want to be successful.I dont allow any excuses to derail me,one of my life philosophies is 'Maturity is the ability to delay gratification'

My delayed gratification is prolonged life with a high level of functioning,junk foods are history for me!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is a lifestyle change if you want to be successful.I dont allow any excuses to derail me,one of my life philosophies is 'Maturity is the ability to delay gratification'

My delayed gratification is prolonged life with a high level of functioning,junk foods are history for me!
Nicely put, Spuds.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of years back we bought a Sodastream, gas bottles and the sodastream syrups. They come in several different types from full sugar, low cal, and naturally sweetened. Very easy to pick and choose what suits you, and lots of flavours. Alternatively, you can just add a couple of crushed berries or a dash of normal sugar free squash to the bottle. My favourite was pink grapefruit, sweetened with stevia and sucralose (if I remember correctly). Incredibly refreshing, and caffeine free. Even just having fizzy water easily available is a pleasure. Ice and lemon, and good to go.

Actually, thanks for reminding me. I will dust the machine off as the weather warms up.

I recently bought the SS "Crystal" (with the glass bottles), they look lovely. I think they are scaling back the syrups now as they are promoting it as a sparkling water machine and offer "water enhancers". There only seem to be 3 diet flavours still available - luckily cola is one. I buy the sugar free squash in Asda and it's lovely. I do love ice cold sparking water though so I often have that. It's not the cheapest way to do it but it's cut my plastic waste considerably which was part of the reason I got it.

Breck Lundin

Anyone with a Soda Stream made a fizzy cold coffee drink? That's the real reason I really want one...to make a fizzy coffee, cream & coco (just coco no sugar) sweetened with stevia drink.

Reactions: 1spuds

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone with a Soda Stream made a fizzy cold coffee drink? That's the real reason I really want one...to make a fizzy coffee, cream & coco (just coco no sugar) sweetened with stevia drink.

I haven’t, but it would be easy.
Just fizz up some cold water.
Make an espresso or v concentrated coffee. A
Add the fizzy water, with or without ice.
:D

M

Member496333

Just to throw a spanner in the works, apparently sparkling water can be damaging to tooth enamel.

Breck Lundin

I haven’t, but it would be easy.
Just fizz up some cold water.
Make an espresso or v concentrated coffee. A
Add the fizzy water, with or without ice.
:D
Sounds good, thanks.

I make very concentrated cold coffee overnight or so...about 32oz at a time. That lasts me 2-5 days. But a tasty decaf version with bubbles fir a nighttime carb craving killer, coco or as dark a dark chocolate as i can find sorta helps.

BTW, I'm planning on adding the mixture to the bottle prior to carbonation so i can take one with me.

Hmmmm, a bit of mint in the coco version might be yummy too.

I love the ideas that come from these forums... you folks are just great!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to throw a spanner in the works, apparently sparkling water can be damaging to tooth enamel.
You and your spanners lol. You are right though as i found to my cost...quite literally to my cost through extra dental bills :rolleyes:
]

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bf could relate but he downs coke zero very quickly, he enjoys it with spicy food and pizza. When we first met and living together, he would go through my coke supply as well, before I put my thumb down and said hey that's my hypo treatment. So he can only touch coke zero. I know some people make their own bubbles and some people drink water - which my bf doesn't approve and would rather drink coke zero. :hilarious: fizzy water, with ice and lemon, maybe mint sounds nice. poor teeth though :hilarious:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I make iced decaff coffee in the summer but definitely no bubbles. :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I really don’t see what the problem is, if unlike it drink it!