Type 1 and sweating?

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I’m not sure if there is anything in this but my husband has been type one for just over two years now and has just started excessively sweating from his armpits and we don’t know if there is a link? He has good control and his levels aren’t really ever a worry. He uses the freestyle libre to check his levels but on an average morning he will have to change his top at least three times? Just wondered if there were any links- thank you

D

Deleted Account

I have not heard or read about excess sweating when BG is in a good range.
I only experience more sweating that usual if my BG is high or low.

My only diabetes related suggestion would be for him to check his BG with a finger prick - Libre is notoriously inaccurate at higher or lower readings.

Apart from that, I would suggest a trip to his GP.

Reactions: Evie-D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I’m not sure if there is anything in this but my husband has been type one for just over two years now and has just started excessively sweating from his armpits and we don’t know if there is a link? He has good control and his levels aren’t really ever a worry. He uses the freestyle libre to check his levels but on an average morning he will have to change his top at least three times? Just wondered if there were any links- thank you

Hello there Kellie - There are other auto-immune conditions where excessive sweating is evident. Of course, it may be nothing to do with his diabetes, but a decent chat with his doc would make sense.

Like most things these days, a few blood tests can help clarify matters.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: porl69

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I sweat excessively. I got T1 as an adult and I didn’t sweat before without good reason, now I can be drenched for no reason. Even sitting in an air conditioned office, I can start sweating and not just from my armpits all my upper body.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @kellie lees,
Good on you for caring about your hubbie's health.
Whilst a list of causes of excessive sweating such as on mayoclinic.org might look scary,
as others have said a trip to his GP is likely to be the best way to sort his troubles out.
Best Wishes.

happydaze

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 almost my whole life - have always had some issues with sweating for unknown reasons. Doesn’t seem to be related to temperature, blood sugar anxiety etc. but it always passes eventually.

It can be a little annoying but have never considered it a big deal, just a a slight nuisance.

Like others have said already, a trip to the GP can hopefully settle any worries you may have.

Best of luck to you both!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Yes and no.... I do get it sometimes. Sweaty armpits for sure. Sweaty palms too.

kellie lees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sweat excessively. I got T1 as an adult and I didn’t sweat before without good reason, now I can be drenched for no reason. Even sitting in an air conditioned office, I can start sweating and not just from my armpits all my upper body.

Thank you - and yet is your control fairly good? My husband was a fairly sweaty person before but nothing that you would notice and now he is starting to get self conscious because it’s meaning coming home from work and changing his clothes! It doesn’t smell though??!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you - and yet is your control fairly good? My husband was a fairly sweaty person before but nothing that you would notice and now he is starting to get self conscious because it’s meaning coming home from work and changing his clothes! It doesn’t smell though??!

Kellie - That degree of perspiring really does need to be checked out. As has been said already, there are many thing that could be causing it, and some are easy enough to treat.

In the run up to your husband going to an appointment, it could be worthwhile to photograph him when he's in full-sweat mode. That's where mobile phones come in really handy. :)

One man's big sweat can be another's "gently glowing", and vice versa.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Define good control. I bounce between 3 and 15 mmol/l. My average HbA1c is around 6.5% so it’s not that bad. There are many people here who are much better, but is’s not that bad. I don’t smell, however plenty of deodorant just in case.

JamseyT1D

I’m exactly the same in this had type 1 now coming up 18 years and I sweat and overheat like there’s no tomorrow even with good control I was told I can just be down to how much liquids I drink as you know we’re always thirsty ahahha

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
we’re always thirsty ahahha
I don’t know what you are talking about, I’m not thirsty. That litre of water I almost skulled half an hour ago has hit the spot. Before anyone starts my BGL has been around 6mmol/l for most of the last 24hrs. Anyone up for a drinking and P’ing contest.