Weird levels today ? sick ? flu jab ?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Hey team

Having a few issues with my levels over the last few days. I'm in Australia, had my flu jab last weds (winter here, real bad flu going round, very serious)

So Thursday night last week I spiked up to 14. Correction dose given (640g pump with cgm). Levels didn't budge. stayed at 14. So another correction dose. Same. Didn't budge. Was up at 3am and changed cannula, new insulin cart. Eventually started going down. Not felt fluey or ill.

Anyway.... Today I was so grabbed a sausage an egg mcmuffin. Few units of insulin and all good? Calibrated as usual. Couple of hours later I'm up at 13. correction dose. re checked. Up at 16! So another larger correction dose and set pump to "sick" mode which is basically 130% my normal settings. Got a horribly tickly cough and a bit of a runny nose so figured I'm getting ill....

Rechecked my blood sugar and this says I'm at 9.9 and my pump is saying 16 despite me calibrating only a couple of hours earlier. The re-calibration has just flashed up as "not accepted, please try again in 15 mins" I've disabled "sick" mode but still got 5 u of active insulin so I'm heading for hypo-ville! Rechecked blood sugar and it confirms same reading more or less 10.2.

I'm probably going to nip home and grab a new sensor, cannula, cartridge and insulin and redo the whole lot. what a bloody pain in the ****. I've not eaten anything since the sausage and egg muffin at 830 and it's 1200 now.

Anyone else have issues after a flu jab with their blood sugars? I know it's an inactive strain and doesn't cause people to get the flu, but it might bring on an underlying cold that's going around. Just feels like I've had a week of trying to be good, trying to be in control.... but failing miserably.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 here, but when I get a flu jab, my numbers go up too, and not a little either. Usually for 3 days or so, as my bloodsugars do respond as if I have the actual flu, even if for a shorter period of time. So hopefully it'll be over soon and your sugars won't be ping pong-ing all over the place. So please don't feel like you're failing. Blame it on the jab.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Same here @aphex2k,
I routinely put pump basal and bolus doses up 30 to 40 % for 4 to 5 days after the 'flu shot each year.
But it don't git me out of doing the washing up!

Reactions: Bluey1

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh wow hadn't realised it affected us for quite such a long time! Makes sense why I've been all over the place for the last week. Self induced pump-rage " Argh it's beeping at me and I'm high again!"

CGM seems to have got itself into a tizz and 4.8 now after a re calibration.

Lunch time!!!! Thanks team :eek:)

Reactions: 1spuds and Juicyj

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agh didnt quite get the food as quickly as I wanted and ended up a sweaty mess in the lunch room.... 2.7. fortunately food's kicking in and getting back to normal now....No doubt over ate and will spike later but we'll keep playing the game....

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agh didnt quite get the food as quickly as I wanted and ended up a sweaty mess in the lunch room.... 2.7. fortunately food's kicking in and getting back to normal now....No doubt over ate and will spike later but we'll keep playing the game....
Sorry it's such a tight rope, and a scary one at that. Just keep in mind with an actual full blown flu it'd be even worse, and for longer.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hope you're feeling better now ?

Flu jabs don't touch the sides with me, I barely get any reaction. However it can take a while for the jab to take effect and if there's already flu around you could well pick it whilst your immune system is managing the jab.

If I was in your shoes, i'd simply do regular testing every 2-3 hours, corrections where necessary, keep hydrated, and look for patterns, it may well be a reaction however it's just keeping vigilance with testing/correcting until things come right. Sounds like you've done everything else right.

Justin04

In aus too, have the flu vax every year and can’t say I’ve seen any difference over the years. As @JoKalsbeek said it’s much more of a roller coaster with the real flu. We copped it last year and I had about 2 weeks of everything from 21’s to 2.1’s. was using approximately three times the daily doses and not eating for several days. On a 640g too and I think that’s all that saved me. I was very surprised it took that much insulin considering I normally have a physically demanding job and went to “bed, couch, floor, bed, hospital, bed for a fortnight”! Here’s hoping it’s the lesser of two evils, I hear it’s been rampant down in SA this year.

Reactions: 1spuds and kitedoc

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @aphex2k hope your BGs are more favorable today. I, personally, have never noticed any raise in BG's after the flu jab, one of the lucky ones....Keep checking your bloods mate and let us know how you get on

D

Deleted Account

My understanding is that the flu jab changes every year to vaccinate against the most likely strains at the time. I would expect this could be different in Australia to what it is in Europe/North America as we learn from each other's winter experience and the vaccination is "tweak".
As the vaccination is different, my BG impact compared to me experience last year and the last "other hemisphere" experience could be different.
With this in mind, although I have been lucky so far, I try not to be complacent when I have my jab and test more than usual. I confess I have started becoming complacent but have to give myself a kick each year.

I guess what I am saying is @aphex2k your BG rise may be due to the flu jab even though you have been fine in previous years,
But it may not be due to the jab at all and it is definitely worthwhile keeping an eye on that insulin and pump.

Just out of interest, are you using Fiasp? Your experience is similar to mine at the start of the year until I changed to a new vial a couple of times. I wondered whether there was a dodgy batch.

Reactions: therower and porl69

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
There is something funny going on with the flu shot this year. I know of 2people whom never get sick, both have had the flu shot and have been really sick afterwards. The 2 people will have never have come in contact with each other. I normally get sick after the flu shot, so this year I think I will risk getting sick with the flu rather than the flu shot. I’m in Oz as well.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chowie . That’s very interesting. I’m exactly the same. I’ve stopped having the flu jab.
Had 3 in consecutive years a while back. Every time I was bad after, a week off work on one occasion and totally run down and off form the other two times.
Medical profession assure me the jab make me feel a bit off for a day or so and nothing more. If only that was true.

D

Deleted member 308541

I keep up with the fluvax as I have a copd, I had mine at the beginning of the month no side effects at all.

Might be a T1 thing probably.

Reactions: 1spuds

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little OT but Ive had both pneumonia vaccines.And Im not big on vax,but after 3 bouts of pneumonia in my lifetime I did a risk/benefit choice and went with it.Havent had pneumonia since.IMO a good choice and diabetics might want to consider it.

Pneumonia used to be called the 'old mans friend',because it took you out quickly and rather peaceably,considering.However,I want to keep that 'good buddy' at bay,LOL! :shifty:

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
As this has moved a bit off topic, I’m in favour of vaccinations, chickenpox, mumps etc a big YES, the flu is a bit different, if the prevention makes you sicker than the illness, I will go for a chance at getting the illness. I know people die from the flu and if I had an illness that put me at risk I would get the vaccination. I rarely get sick, I’m most probably healthier than if I wasn’t Diabetic, my only issue with getting sick is my BGL is all over the place.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Same here @aphex2k,
I routinely put pump basal and bolus doses up 30 to 40 % for 4 to 5 days after the 'flu shot each year.
But it don't git me out of doing the washing up!
When you guys eventually get this thing called electricity sorted out, so you have plenty at night you then get these fancy things called dishwashers (the mechanical sort). Then you don’t need to find an illness to get you out of doing the dishes.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
When you guys eventually get this thing called electricity sorted out, so you have plenty at night you then get these fancy things called dishwashers (the mechanical sort). Then you don’t need to find an illness to get you out of doing the dishes.
Yep, the motivation is to save on electricity lol!
Next i shall be using a dynamo attached to an exercise bike to recharge my insulin pump!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In aus too, have the flu vax every year and can’t say I’ve seen any difference over the years. As @JoKalsbeek said it’s much more of a roller coaster with the real flu. We copped it last year and I had about 2 weeks of everything from 21’s to 2.1’s. was using approximately three times the daily doses and not eating for several days. On a 640g too and I think that’s all that saved me. I was very surprised it took that much insulin considering I normally have a physically demanding job and went to “bed, couch, floor, bed, hospital, bed for a fortnight”! Here’s hoping it’s the lesser of two evils, I hear it’s been rampant down in SA this year.
Yep, lots of cases here in Adeliade. I have also had 2 shots of Pneumovax, the pneumonia vaccine ( with 23 flavours, er, types covered)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Yep, the motivation is to save on electricity lol!
Next i shall be using a dynamo attached to an exercise bike to recharge my insulin pump!
Just to explain, through various historical, short-sighted Government 'initiatives', South Oz has ended up with some of the highest electricity costs to the consumer in the civilised world.
In a State with summer temps into the 40 degree C range this is no joke and present Governments have beed scrambling to address the issue. And so we have what was the world's biggest battery installed, and paying for it in electricity charges whilst it is a relative drop in the ocean as far as helping with electricity demand in summer.
In a different way, Australia in general and South Oz in particular are very dry ( and that is not just in terms of humour). Citizens in South Oz are paying for a fairly recently installed desalination plant in Adelaide.