Extended fasting

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel great this morning- had a really good night's sleep last night. I was thinking about food a bit yesterday, but no real hunger going on and I wasn't thinking about food in an unhealthy way, more looking forward to enjoying it at the end of the fast.

Colleagues are amazed - although it isn't recommended to tell people, I do talk about my fasting and find that helps me to keep going. There is one "you're probably doing yourself some terrible harm" person but there are also two people who have taken up intermittent fasting themselves after talking to me, and love it.

I reduced metformin by one tablet yesterday and today, with no impact on blood sugar. I stopped taking januvia a couple of weeks ago, but I still take trulicity weekly.

Day 4

FBG 4.6
Weight 257 lbs again
BP - will edit to add later
Ketones - will edit to add early afternoon.

I am surprised to see not much weight loss even though FBG is getting very low. Keep Strong and you will get results.

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am surprised to see not much weight loss even though FBG is getting very low. Keep Strong and you will get results.

Yes, me too - weight loss is secondary to improving insulin resistance but it is very important in connection with that and general health. It's also surprising because I still have a lot to lose so expect it to be quite quick at this stage.

I have lost three, nearly four inches off my waist though! That was a surprise.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, me too - weight loss is secondary to improving insulin resistance but it is very important in connection with that and general health. It's also surprising because I still have a lot to lose so expect it to be quite quick at this stage.

I have lost three, nearly four inches off my waist though! That was a surprise.

Four inches is amazing.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 5

FBG 5.7 (only took one metformin tablet rather than two, so it looks like I still need two at night)

Weight 254 hooray! I know this is temporary but very glad fasting gets the results there.

I actually broke my fast on the way to work this morning, with some almonds and walnuts, so strictly speaking it was a 4 and a half day fast really.

I'm very happy to have made it past 4 days - last night was very hard and I'm proud of myself for making it.

Next will be some 16:8, OMAD and the odd 48 hour or three day fasts for a couple of weeks, then I'll start thinking about another 5 day one. Thanks for the support and encouragement, you lovely people!

Last edited:
Reactions: Venkat K
M

Member496333

Day 5

FBG 5.7 (only took one metformin tablet rather than two, so it looks like I still need two at night)

Weight 254 hooray! I know this is temporary but very glad fasting gets the results there.

I actually broke my fast on the way to work this morning, with some almonds and walnuts, so strictly speaking it was a 4 and a half day fast really.

I'm very happy to have made it past 4 days - last night was very hard and I'm proud of myself for making it.

Nest will be some 16:8 OMAD and the odd 48 hour or three day fasts for a couple of weeks, then I'll start thinking about another 5 day one. Thanks for the support and encouragement, you lovely people!

Great strategy. This is possibly the very best angle of attack at smashing T2DM. Bravo!

Minor note though - Personally I would drop almonds and replace with macadamia or brazil. Also 16:8 OMAD means it’s going to take you eight hours to eat dinner :shifty:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great strategy. This is possibly the very best angle of attack at smashing T2DM. Bravo!

Minor note though - Personally I would drop almonds and replace with macadamia or brazil. Also 16:8 OMAD means it’s going to take you eight hours to eat dinner :shifty:

Ha! There should have been a comma there! Thanks Jim

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here are some random thoughts after my latest fast:

My body clearly loves using its fat reserves. It rewards me with significantly less inflammation - I have eczema and various allergies which are always improved even with one day fasts. The main surprise here was my sensitive bladder which completely resolves during fasting longer than 16 hours, and returns with a vengeance when I eat even a small amount of carbs. I'm ashamed to say I've never been carb free long enough after a fast to see if keto would resolve it, as I struggle with low carbing.

I guess the upside here is that fasting is such a powerful tool for me that I should be able to improve insulin sensitivity - and I certainly am seeing that - with fasting plus moderate carbs.

Another amazing optimistic note is that so far fasting seems to be something I can do for the rest of my life, unlike calorie restriction or hardcore low carb. No other way of eating to improve health and weight was anything other than torture.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tuesday 21/05/2019

07:40 Breakfast: Oven Cooked Omelette
Two spoons of Nuts Mixture

Cycle to Work and back home Cycling
3 Green Tea and One Black Coffee at work

One hour Grass cutting in evening

21:00 Blood Sugar 5.1 (after 12 hours fasting)
17000 steps by end of day

Wednesday 22/05/2019
FGB(06:20) - 7.2(after 24 hours fasting)

3 Green Tea and One Black Coffee at work
21:00 Blood Sugar 4.8 (after 36 hours fasting)

Thursday 23/05/2019
FGB(06:20) - 5.4(after 48 hours fasting)
Break the fast with Berries smoothie

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks to @bushbiker for advice on starting and posting to this forum.
As they say "never too old to learn "
Day 1 of a liquid only fast. I say liquid only as may have some bone broth later in the evening if very hungry.
Did a 5 day fast earlier this month but gave up on day 5 as felt queasy.
Today FBG was 7.5, weight 65kg, BMI 22.5 and body fat 28.7%.
Target reduce FBG to 4.0, weight to 60 kg, BMI to 19 and body fat to 22.0%.
Seems too ambitious but its worth a try.
Anyone else care to join me?
bet your breath smells

Doug_NL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a question on bone broth - what is the purpose of that? Is it to take in some sodium or are other nutritional needs met? Instead of bone broth can a commercially available chicken or beef broth be substituted?

lehalvi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m fasting during the month of Ramadan in which I eat a meal before the dawn and break fast around sunset. Initially I was not sure if that would be possible during such long hours of fasting and work at the same time but so far, I am feeling more active, energetic, focused and on top I have reduced my weight to around 1.5 kgs already in 18 days which is phenomenal and I can now say fasting works physically, emotionally and spiritually as well for me. My meals are generally the normal food like rice or bread, eggs, lamb or chicken, veggies or fruits and coffee or tea but all with portion control!

Religious fasting in my view is a detox for both body and soul and I absolutely love it! Stay well everyone and best wishes, Ali

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m fasting during the month of Ramadan in which I eat a meal before the dawn and break fast around sunset. Initially I was not sure if that would be possible during such long hours of fasting and work at the same time but so far, I am feeling more active, energetic, focused and on top I have reduced my weight to around 1.5 kgs already in 18 days which is phenomenal and I can now say fasting works physically, emotionally and spiritually as well for me. My meals are generally the normal food like rice or bread, eggs, lamb or chicken, veggies or fruits and coffee or tea but all with portion control!

Religious fasting in my view is a detox for both body and soul and I absolutely love it! Stay well everyone and best wishes, Ali

The problem is that many people eat much more proceesed food, suger and party food while breaking the Ramadan fast each night with their friends and family. Then a week of near pure suger is common at the end.

However it sounds that as you are being sensible it is giving good results. The results may be even better if you cut down on the rice and bread along with increasing the veg, meat and eggs. Some fruits are very high suger, and natural suger is no better then added suger, so check the suger content of fruits.

Also don't limit your salt intake.

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Many thanks to @bushbiker for advice on starting and posting to this forum.
As they say "never too old to learn "
Day 1 of a liquid only fast. I say liquid only as may have some bone broth later in the evening if very hungry.
Did a 5 day fast earlier this month but gave up on day 5 as felt queasy.
Today FBG was 7.5, weight 65kg, BMI 22.5 and body fat 28.7%.
Target reduce FBG to 4.0, weight to 60 kg, BMI to 19 and body fat to 22.0%.
Seems too ambitious but its worth a try.
Anyone else care to join me?

Well eddie 'single 07' , I am a newly diagnosed middle-aged woman diabetic and my symptoms are T2 but not finished being checked for other type/causes. I was 67kg at diagnosis and after 5 weeks of slashed nearly sugar free diet, I am 63kg [a bit less on the vet scales this morning!]. I am on Gliclazide but halved my 80mg x2 daily dose to x2 40mg but itching to give it up and go on the low, low cal 8 week 'reversal' diet. However I walk a lot and resumed running short distances and eating about 1500kcal daily. So yes I would love to join you eddie07 but a few tests and results to come and if any come up +ve for antibodies or nasty pancreatic changes I may not be able to. I am an optimist so it is still possible!! I have the Dr Mosely book already as my sister is a GP and recommended by her GP colleague. Watch this space and good luck with your diet...:)

Reactions: Speedbird

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Thanks @bulkbiker and @LittleGreyCat you have helped me to understand it better. So as far as I am concerned a short fast may be on the cards in the future, but I will have to work my way up slowly. At present I am happy just doing OMAD and keto and while those work I won't be rushing into changing anything, but never say never...
Thank you both :)

Read Dr Michael Moseley and Dr Claire Bailey's book which explains all about how to protect from muscle wasting on v low cal diets and reduce liver stores of fat that can up blood glucose too easily. Hard exercise [the HIT method] is also recommended. You would be surprised how the human body is adapted to periods of starvation. It is all quite fascinating even if the ruddy diabetes is happening to you/me...

Reactions: zand