Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so I recently bought Michael Mosleys blood sugar diet book and find it very interesting and deciding to give it go.
My blood sugar levels have been normal for nearly 5 weeks now (was diagnosed in March)...but I’m rather interested about the visceral fat around the organs, that if we get rid of it a lot of people can be diabetes free and have normal working liver and pancreas like before.

So has anyone tried this?
What was your experience?
Did you keep the weight off?
Are you able to eat more carbs without blood spiking?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bought the recipe book but found it contained unsuitable ingredients and was too high carb for me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of us have (we have to assume) lost visceral fat by going low carb.
Well I assume that some of the 8 stone I have lost was visceral anyway.
I too found Moseleys recipes a bit too carby for my blood sugars.
He's a bit of a bandwagon jumper in my opinion so I'm quite wary of him.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've tried it a couple of times. It didn't work long term for me but that's not to say that it won't work for you.

It's based, as you probably know, on the Newcastle diet and I saw in the ND latest blurb that they now recommend people maintain their weight loss by eating much less than they did before they embarked on the diet - which is almost certainly where I went wrong. Plus I experimented with additional carbs which was definitely not a good idea.

Good luck. :)

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
so I recently bought Michael Mosleys blood sugar diet book and find it very interesting and deciding to give it go.
My blood sugar levels have been normal for nearly 5 weeks now (was diagnosed in March)...but I’m rather interested about the visceral fat around the organs, that if we get rid of it a lot of people can be diabetes free and have normal working liver and pancreas like before.

So has anyone tried this?
What was your experience?
Did you keep the weight off?
Are you able to eat more carbs without blood spiking?

It is what I started off with and certainly gave me the motivation and hope before I found this forum.
I liked the bullet point "rules" of the diet which I found easier to follow, the recipes were not really to my taste.

So at the same time as I got into the BS diet, I challenged a friend of mine who doesn't have T2 but is carrying extra weight, to try it along with me. I should add that to give myself an edge I also did IF and I still do IF so in other words I only eat two meals a day. Very occasionally I'll have brunch which just means my eating window shifts from 8hrs to 10hrs,
That makes three of us on a BSD ish diet (my partner, my good friend and myself - I'm the only one with T2)

We have all lost weight. My partner has lost more weight than I have but as he's such a mathematician, he put it in a chart which interestingly shows that while we may have lost different amounts of weights, we have lost similar overall body weight percentage (more than 15%).

I was declared in remission by my first HbA1c Review

My experience is a good one but I'd say I didn't follow the book to the letter (my friend with that extra weight did though)
I've kept the weight off and I'm still going down I started at 67kgs and by my first review I was down to 55kgs.
I also make it a point to try and do those 10k in steps a day and have got a faux bit (things the book also mentions to do)

I think if you eat carbs your blood is going to spike whether you are T2 or not.
But perhaps it's more how long it takes for your body to cope with the spike and return to better BG levels that is the real test of how well you're doing.

I'm still experimenting and learning more about that as I go along now :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This was the first book I bought after diagnosis. While I found the book helpful the recipe book was full of expensive ingredients, ingredients that are not to my taste and of too high a carb value. I agree that Dr. Moseley has hit on the money spinning with his books but what annoyed me more was that just a few weeks ago in an interview on BBC Breakfast the presenter asked what was so different about his latest book and Moseley answered that the 8WBSD was based on rodent studies. He wasn't even embarrassed and quickly turned the conversation to how wonderful the latest book is. My immediate reaction was 'Thanks Doc, I spent money on both the book and its accompanying recipe book for what?'

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jessielouiseb i used it a basis following the recipes and tweeting it a bit i lost shed loads of weight in the first three weeks then i found this site and took on board other peoples advice and experiences ..certainly a springboard for the rest of my life ..
i was diagnosed in march 2018 as 12.5% , iwas down to 5.5% in june, 5.3 in september and 5.3% in april this year
in the autumnof 2017 i was definitly 124 kilos but i think i had been as high as 127 kilos....now i hover around 97-98 kilos...
so for me ...yes a help.....

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jessielouiseb i used it a basis following the recipes and tweeting it a bit i lost shed loads of weight in the first three weeks then i found this site and took on board other peoples advice and experiences ..certainly a springboard for the rest of my life ..
i was diagnosed in march 2018 as 12.5% , iwas down to 5.5% in june, 5.3 in september and 5.3% in april this year
in the autumnof 2017 i was definitly 124 kilos but i think i had been as high as 127 kilos....now i hover around 97-98 kilos...
so for me ...yes a help.....
Wow that’s great, what is your diet like now?, has your insulin sensitivity gone back to normal? can you tolerate carbs now (regardless if you chose to eat carbs or not)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well..i guess i'm just a cheapskate.

i didn't buy any books.

My missus bought me, ( around the time tom watson was coming out and saying he had reversed his T2D,) the 8 week Blood sugar diet...almost the day after i was 1st suspected/diagnosed as possible T2D..bless her.

But i've not read it yet.

I found the most information on here.

and had such a good time dissecting what worked for others, and what MIGHT work for me,
that i had little time to read in between all the videos i was being pointed to
(thank you DCUK members most grateful )
and post outlining others successes and food/recipes.

Now i said NO books But i lied..i did buy Dr jason fung's,... the diabetes code
and devoured it..since read it 3 times , and each time i learn something new.

So CAN you go back to eating a many carbs as you like... NO
Can you maybe eat more carbs then you did when first diagnosed and cutting carbs down drastically..yes...i believe you can increase the amounts, if you wish, but not anywhere near to the previous levels
are you ever cured...NO, i believe its remission only...that world of yore has gone forever.

So big digression, apologies.
never read the book, never tried the diet, but as with the ND..all roads lead to something else,.

For me i'm glad i skipped a step and went straight to LCHF.
as it's my belief, that either the ND AND 8WSD, are just precursors to LCHF or other alternatives
IF you want to continue the progress you have made to date on the two programs.

But we all find our own way,
so good luck on your journey,
sure we'll meet again further down the road, fitter and healthier then when we started,
by which ever means we use to get there..

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: lcarter and Guzzler

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that’s great, what is your diet like now?, has your insulin sensitivity gone back to normal? can you tolerate carbs now (regardless if you chose to eat carbs or not)
@Jessielouiseb hi before diagnosis i ate loads of bread cakes biscuits above all the weekly shop inluded kilos of the haribo type sweets you get at lidl.. my bones ached ispent a fortune on physios for sciatica and knee pain all gone now along with the craving for sweet stuff and inbetween snacks i was never too keen on pasta or rice anyway i believe i ate about four slices of bread all last year! .. i normally have an evening meal . meat fish cauliflower cabbage roast peppers or salad or just boiled eggs olives salami cheese whatever is in the house varies just make it up.. followin morning test sugars post on here.... sometimes grill some bacon an a couple of fried eggs and a couple of mugs of tea and a latte made with soy milk but im rushed in the morning so eat at eleven... mixed almonds pecans walnuts brazils 100 to 150 grams eat when hungry..
sundays i will do a roast and i will eat some potatoes i occasionaly have fish and chips but not too many chips.. chinese take away seems to be a no no i go out and have a few beers and fbs is in the fives normaly ( 5.3 @ 0626 ) i am just aware that the above disagrees with me so i dont want to go back to the old ways...

Reactions: Viv19