Diabetes Week 10th - 16th June

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes Week is taking place between the 10th - 16th June and we're looking for people with diabetes to get involved in helping us to redefine diabetes.

• Have you achieved something you're proud of?
  • Have you reduced your hypos, or improved your hypo awareness?
  • Have you recently completed a physical feat, such as a marathon?

No achievement is too small. If you've overcome the odds, we want to hear from you. Share your story with us in this thread.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That week will be my first diaversary. I’ve gone from diabetic to low prediabetic figures, lost 18kg and reduce inflammation and other minor body niggles. Ive become part of this great support system. I can join in with family activities more easily, run up the stairs and cut my toenails without my belly getting in the way. (Not a marathon but you said no matter how small!) I’m hoping to join a new initiative at my surgery peer meeting / supporting other diabetics.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That week will be my first diaversary. I’ve gone from diabetic to low prediabetic figures, lost 18kg and reduce inflammation and other minor body niggles. Ive become part of this great support system. I can join in with family activities more easily, run up the stairs and cut my toenails without my belly getting in the way. (Not a marathon but you said no matter how small!) I’m hoping to join a new initiative at my surgery peer meeting / supporting other diabetics.

Independence (cutting one's own toenails) is priceless!

Sometimes, it's hard not to lose sight of the simple things in thie journey.

D

Deleted member 308541

Independence (cutting one's own toenails) is priceless!
It's not that I cannot cut my own toenails but the podiatrist I go to does a better job than I can.

Edit: I have got my hba1c down to halve my Metformin dosage, another three weeks and another hba1c test and I should be able to give the other half away.

Reactions: HSSS

stouens

Diabetes Week is taking place between the 10th - 16th June and we're looking for people with diabetes to get involved in helping us to redefine diabetes.

• Have you achieved something you're proud of?
  • Have you reduced your hypos, or improved your hypo awareness?
  • Have you recently completed a physical feat, such as a marathon?

No achievement is too small. If you've overcome the odds, we want to hear from you. Share your story with us in this thread.

From Aunt Dahlia
Have lost five stones while following low carb diet. Feel fantastic. Love the forum and have had lots of advice from everyone who understands what it is like to deal with Type 2. Excellent care from my medical practice, tremendous help from my husband and family and support from the Forum has helped me to achieve this result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pipp

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not that I cannot cut my own toenails but the podiatrist I go to does a better job than I can.

Edit: I have got my hba1c down to halve my Metformin dosage, another three weeks and another hba1c test and I should be able to give the other half away.
I can now reach mine a lot better than I could in February.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Come on everyone. Don't be hiding those lights under bushels or exercising modesty in other forms.

Should your successes - small, medium or large from the rooftops - on alternatively, on this thread!

Lazell123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can now reach mine a lot better than I could in February.
I am very proud that I have managed to live with type 1 diabetes for almost 58 years, (diagnosed 30.7.1961 when I was 3 years old, which was my dear mum's 35th birthday. What a dreadful birthday present!!). I am glad that so much has changed for the better in those 58 years and made life for us type 1's so much better.
Some of my successes are being married to the same wonderful man for 39 years. Giving birth to our very special son in 1983, which really was quite an achievement then as you couldn't even buy a book for guidance on being a pregnant type 1 diabetic. There was no internet and no smart phones then. I was in hospital for 5 weeks before I had my baby and had to stay in for 10 days after the birth. My son was born 6 weeks early because I had pre-eclampsia and toxemia, but the worse thing of all was that I went home without my baby because he had to stay in the special care baby unit for 3 weeks. I'm sure things are much different today for pregnant type 1's. Thank goodness. I survived pneumonia at the age of 5 (1963), survived the hormonal teenage years (without any blood testing equipment). Nursed my mum through a brain tumour for 4 months until she passed away in 2011. Five weeks after my dear mum passed, I was awarded my medal for living with type 1 for 50 years. I was devastated that mum hadn't survived to see this and share my medal because if she hadn't looked after me so well, I probably wouldn't be here today. In February 2016 I underwent a heart bypass and lived to tell the tale!! I sincerely hope that my story may help and encourage any of you out there that are struggling at the moment that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am living proof. Take good care of yourselves.