Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Repeat of yesterday's breakfast and lunch (I lack imagination today).

I am making seitan nuggets, lightly battered for dinner which we can have with a large salad and husband will want chips with that, which is fine but I won't bother. Fruit and yoghurt to finish.

I have never in my life deep fried anything before. Never owned a chip pan or even wanted to, but I want to do tempura batter on some veggies etc so we have bought a tiny weeny little deep fat fryer. Neither of us have had one before. He is 70 and I am 63 and somehow we have survived without ever deep frying a crumb. We're going to have to experiment and hope for the best......

Reactions: Pinkorchid

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Repeat of yesterday's breakfast and lunch (I lack imagination today).

I am making seitan nuggets, lightly battered for dinner which we can have with a large salad and husband will want chips with that, which is fine but I won't bother. Fruit and yoghurt to finish.

I have never in my life deep fried anything before. Never owned a chip pan or even wanted to, but I want to do tempura batter on some veggies etc so we have bought a tiny weeny little deep fat fryer. Neither of us have had one before. He is 70 and I am 63 and somehow we have survived without ever deep frying a crumb. We're going to have to experiment and hope for the best......

My OH will not have a deep fat fryer in the house, his late wife having been badly burned in an accident involving one. We now have an air fryer which works well on lots and lots of things, but for anything absolutely requiring enveloping in hot fat - like home-made tempura, we have used a small, deep saucepan, which limits the amount of hot oil anywhere.

Obviously that might not be enough for making the main event in a meal. It's just another option.

Enjoy your tempura. It's a great crunch. I haven't tried tempura since having to go gluten free, but imagine it's very do-able with, say, rice flour.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
My OH will not have a deep fat fryer in the house, his late wife having been badly burned in an accident involving one. We now have an air fryer which works well on lots and lots of things, but for anything absolutely requiring enveloping in hot fat - like home-made tempura, we have used a small, deep saucepan, which limits the amount of hot oil anywhere.

Obviously that might not be enough for making the main event in a meal. It's just another option.

Enjoy your tempura. It's a great crunch. I haven't tried tempura since having to go gluten free, but imagine it's very do-able with, say, rice flour.

The recipe calls for chickpea flour, which we always have in the house. First time of asking we always follow the recipe, then next time we tweak to suit ourselves (unless the recipe calls for chilli of some description in which case there's an instant change as I am allergic to the stuff in all its forms, although oddly, not to bell peppers).

We thought of an air fat fryer but it seemed like a bit much dosh for something we'll use so seldom. If the nuggets turn out to be a howling success we'll maybe pass the deep fat fryer on and get an air fryer, but we'd have to be sure we'd get our money's worth. (Not that we're careful with a penny or two .....:rolleyes: )

Reactions: Freema

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The recipe calls for chickpea flour, which we always have in the house. First time of asking we always follow the recipe, then next time we tweak to suit ourselves (unless the recipe calls for chilli of some description in which case there's an instant change as I am allergic to the stuff in all its forms, although oddly, not to bell peppers).

We thought of an air fat fryer but it seemed like a bit much dosh for something we'll use so seldom. If the nuggets turn out to be a howling success we'll maybe pass the deep fat fryer on and get an air fryer, but we'd have to be sure we'd get our money's worth. (Not that we're careful with a penny or two .....:rolleyes: )

Of course, you'd make your own mind up, but one, for me, important nugget (pun intended) I learned when I bought ours is it can be used for anything you'd use an oven for.

Ours also has very low heat settings, making it an efficient dehydrator too.

We choose a cabinet, rather than drawer style of arrangement. Anything needing a crisp does very well in there.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

They sound very useful! I might have a look at prices, and see what's in Crackling Rosie (the savings pig)..... although Rosie is a bit depleted at the mo and I'd need to look at my savings account.

She's called that because the blue pig is called Neil (as in Neil Diamond)....

All the pigs are called after names in his songs. (I love proper savings piggies)

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Breakfast - tea!
Lunch - salad with crackers ad cheese
Dinner - quiche with broccoli and cauliflower

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Today I am having lunch out. There is a small town near me that is a haven for alternative thinkers and has quite a few vegan facilities.

Brekkie is scrambled tofu and tinned cherry toms (trying to to dribble tomato juice on my clean tee shirt)

Dinner will be sticky seitan wings with two dipping sauces - bbq and garlic. I'll do a mixed salad and fresh baked seeded roll each, and there's always fruit and yoghurt for dessert. I suspect husband will want chips with sticky wings but I'd rather have extra veg.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I have got to say - the sticky wings were absolutely top banana! Gorgeous! Can I have them again tomorrow gorgeous......

The sticky garlic sauce was a total winner and my flexi husband hoovered up every crumb of his dinner. In the end we went with asparagus tips and little baby potatoes, using both layers of the big steamer basket.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Breakfast was scrambled tofu, tinned cherry tomatoes and a little pepperoni seitan.

Lunch: vegetable sushi (with a liberal splash of soy sauce), raw cauli, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, raw baby sweetcorn followed by blueberries with Alpro vegan yoghurt with almonds.

Dinner will be the leftover seitan sliced, chucked in with some cooked veggies and then mixed with some cooked pasta. A vegan creamy sauce will be folded through the whole lot. I'll add some parmegan sprinkled on top of mine.

Snack was a few mouthfuls of the parmegan when I'd made it. First time I made it and I wanted to know what it was like....it's the sort of thing you need a padlock on the jar!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My husband is doing dinner today and is making a new recipe of vegan meatballs in sauce. He plans to serve with baked sweet potato but take out the flesh once cooked, mix it with vegan creme fraiche and pile it back into the skins - flash under the grill - it's gorgeous that way, plus steamed broccoli. I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday I had vegan ceviche ( tofu, veggies, beans, chili and lime) from a Mexican food truck. I was very happy to find this food truck as it only offers 12 items, 4 of which are vegan! Yea!
It was good! I have been to it several times now.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yesterday I had vegan ceviche ( tofu, veggies, beans, chili and lime) from a Mexican food truck. I was very happy to find this food truck as it only offers 12 items, 4 of which are vegan! Yea!
It was good! I have been to it several times now.
Pooh Mexican food yum!
Breakfast was avo on toast. Lunch a big salad with homegrown leaves (basil, spinach, romaine, lettuce), tomato and feta, dinner leeks, new potato with Linda Mc sausage rolls.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I love avocado. I am always piling it on my salad. I also love it with tofurky on sprouted bread. And guacamole. Did I say I love avocado yet????

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I have fallen in love with basil infused olive oil!

Lunch was my usual bowl with raw chopped cauliflower, courgette, babycorn, carrot, cherry tomatoes and cucumber topped off with a 25g sunflower seeds, a tablespoonful of parmegan, then liberally doused with the basil olive oil. Beauty in a bowl! So pretty to look at too. I arrange it like a traditional Buddha bowl and it pleases me such a lot first to look at and then to eat.

Dinner is a quick seitan steak, some potato chips (frys), and a mixed salad followed by blueberries & (vegan) Alpro coconut Greek yoghurt. It will be late because lunch was very late but it will be tasty.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@WuTwo I am loving your ideas, we have lots of basil growing at present so infused olive oil here I come!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Diakat - garlic infused is another world of deliciousness drizzled on a salad.... or used to fry tofu cubes...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Diakat - garlic infused is another world of deliciousness drizzled on a salad.... or used to fry tofu cubes...
We already have garlic infused oil, and I do love that.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

We already have garlic infused oil, and I do love that.

I love the fact that if it smells scrummy you can add it to olive oil. I bought some white truffle infused olive oil - that one is very different, but equally good. (I didn't have truffles to hand... :joyful::joyful: )

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Fake egg salad!! Tofu, mayo, mustard, relish, minced onion and a little bit of garlic powder. And Sugarloaf Pineapple on the side!
Okay, so I just about have sugarloaf pineapple everyday lol. It's been my favorite snack!

Reactions: WuTwo