Type 1's and DVLA changes

Oblomov

Re: Tpe 1's and DVLA changes

I had my licence revoked in Jun 11. I went to my pump clinic appointment in Apr 11. My consultant filled out the dvla forms. I have contacted Diabetes UK and the Sun are supposed to be running a story about me today, or maybe monday. My diabetic consultant has written to the DVLA to ask for clarification of the new guidelines. I have not had a daytime hypo for years. In fact I have only had one daytime hypo ever, and that was whilst pregnant. I have had 2 nocturnal hypos in the last 18 months. I THINK the last one was Jun 10. But still my licence is revoked. I am so sad. And know not what to do. If I appeal, or got a solicitor, it would still take months to sort this. In the meantime I am going to have to quit my job. I just can't get there with 2 small children, and no car.

Margi

That is utterly awful, Oblomov. :shock:

What reason has the DVLA given for the refusal? They do have to give one. It is worth checking that they have not muddled you with another person. I only say that because they did it to me one time so I know it can happen.I got my routine 3 yearly application back refused because I didn't test enough!! I got on the phone to DVLA and asked where they got such nonsense from, because I told them on the application form that I test at least 5 times a day, so how come they said I don't test at least twice? They looked at their info and realised I'd got a letter that had meant to go to someone else. They said, 'Carry on driving, we'll get your licence out to you asap', and they did.

Unless you have already gone down the phoning then writing route a formal appeal should not be necessary. I hope they get things sorted out for you. Let us know how it goes.

ps: using the 'I need to drive for my job' and a letter from your consultant and or GP, should get them to change their minds quickly.

Good luck. :)

Oblomov

Thanks for the response Margi.
I am so sad.
My consultant told them that I had 2 hypos , 11 months ago. both nocturnal.
Infact severe daytime hypos, I have only ever had 1, whilst pregnant with my second son, in 37 years of diabetes.
Consultant told them I had good awareness. But this doesn't seem to be good enough. My consultant has written to them 3 times. I have faxed many times.
My consultant has now asked for written clarification on the nightime hypo bit/ the new guidelines.
They are going to write a story about me in the Sun newspaper tomorrow. Diabetes UK, who I have spoke to many times, predict that 1.5 million diabetics will be affected by this. Well, I think we can say that I am one of the first.

sugar2

That is terrible Oblomov! They really do need to clarify that the servere hypo is during waking hours. Best of luck..will look out for your article (not a sun reader, but hope they have it online!).

Oblomov

I am not a Sun reader either !!
I contacted all the newspapers. I contacted my MP aswell.
The Sun was the only one that came back and said they would cover the story. I guess that the Diabetes UK's prediction that 1.5 to 2 million diabetics would be affected, made it newsworthy.
The Sun will run a stroy of 600 words on general issues, and a 400 word case story on me.
My local Paper, The surrey Herald have just contacted me, to run a story aswell.
lets hope my case can get sorted.soon.

hodders27

hi

my partner is diabetic t1 insulin and he has just had to send off his forms for his licence renew but been sent a letter by dvla sayin he needs a medical done , is there anything to worry about as he hasnt had a hypo for bout 3 years and checks his sugar levels 2x daily i think i am more worried bout him getting his licence bk than he is . any advice would be greatly appreciated. :?

thanks

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If a person with type 1 diabetes hasn't had an annual review within 12 months, they need a medical done. I'd be somewhat worried if a driver only checks blood sugars twice a day - that's the absolute minimum, most test before each meal / injection, and drivers must test before each time they set of driving, plus every 2 hours on longer journeys.

steveinblackpool

I hope the DVLA realise the consequences when they revoke a driving licence as starting work at 6am it would mean a very long bike ride to work then I would have to test blood on arrival too.

Being a single parent like many other people we only have 1 wage coming into the home and it would not be a case of losing licence it will snowball... losing job... losing home!!!

Ive not had a hypo for over 20 years and have full awareness of low surars but worried when I try and renew my licence next year.

Eg nipping to shops to get some milk and testing blood beforehand; picking son up from friends and testing blood in morning, 2 hours after b/fast, dinner, 2 hours after, tea, 2 hours after, bed this would encounter using about 18 strips a day... my doctor would love that going for a prescription every 4 days!!!