Breakfast options

Audrey85

Hi everyone. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and type 2. I'm finding it difficult to get my post breakfast sugars down. I love Weetabix and have it with semi-skimmed milk but sugars go up to 11. My dieticians guide says Weetabix is a good option for breakfast but my sugars don't agree. Could it be the milk? Should I swap to soya milk? Or does anyone have any breakfast suggestions apart from porridge which I don't like. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Reactions: maharishi

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It's the Weetabix not helped by the skimmed milk.

Try a low carb full English I.e eggs and bacon without toast or hash browns. Add in sausages, mushrooms and cheese then sit back and read lovely results.

Edited to add.

Apologies, just noticed that you are a shiny new member so tagging @daisy1 for her fabulous introductory post to help guide you. Welcome to the forum.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Cereals are not good for diabetics, even as a T1 taking insulin they can be tricky. The advice you have been given reflects standard NHS advice relating to a 'balanced diet', and from my point of view at least, it fails to consider individual requirements.

All carbohydrates turn into glucose in your bloodstream, sugar is a simple carbohydrate and is easily absorbed, pasta is a complex carbohydrate and takes longer to break down, but the results are similar.

Try an egg for breakfast and see what happens to your glucose levels. I'll ask @daisy1 to give you some info.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
As Guzzler says there are too many carbs in that breakfast for your body to handle - over 30g in two Weetabix.
Greek yoghurt and blueberries might be an option if a cooked breakfast is out.

M

Member496333

Hi and welcome! As you’ll quickly gather from responses, anything based on grains is typically problematic for those with diabetes. They are highly insulinogenic. For insulin resistant diabetics, something like Weetabix is a disaster.

Meat, poultry, eggs, fish, dairy = a hearty, fulfilling breakfast with a minimal glucose footprint.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the answers above...

If you have 2 Weetabix biscuits with 200ml milk (whole or semi-skimmed, soya milk unsweet or sweet) your carb intake would be:

using data from from www.tesco.com online shop (asda.com,
sainsburys.com would show similar nutrition values)

Weetabix per biscuit: Energy 68kcal Carb 13g
100ml Semi-skimmed milk: Energy 50kcal Carb 4.8g
100ml Whole milk: Energy 66kcal Carb 4.7g
100ml Unsweetened Soya milk: Energy 34kcal Carb 0.3g
100ml Sweetened Soya milk: Energy 42kcal Carb 2.6g

Carb = 2x13 + 2x4.8 = 26 + 9.6 = 35g (with milk)
Carb = 2x13 + 2x0.3 = 26 + 0.6 = 27g (with unsweet soya milk)
Carb = 2x13 + 2x2.6 = 26 + 5.2 = 31g (with sweet soya milk)

This carb value may explain your high blood sugars after breakfast.
Weetabix is the troublemaker, the kind of milk is not making much difference.

Hi everyone. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and type 2. I'm finding it difficult to get my post breakfast sugars down. I love Weetabix and have it with semi-skimmed milk but sugars go up to 11. My dieticians guide says Weetabix is a good option for breakfast but my sugars don't agree. Could it be the milk? Should I swap to soya milk? Or does anyone have any breakfast suggestions apart from porridge which I don't like. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hey Audrey,

I have recently been opting for a small banana and one the yoghurts below! They are super low in carbs only 5g for the whole pot and only total to 81 calories. They are super filling too as they contain a high content of protein!

Have a try and see how you find them! Lots of different flavours to enjoy too so you can mix it up!

Beth x
IMG_5268.jpg

Reactions: maharishi

Audrey85

Hey Audrey,

I have recently been opting for a small banana and one the yoghurts below! They are super low in carbs only 5g for the whole pot and only total to 81 calories. They are super filling too as they contain a high content of protein!

Have a try and see how you find them! Lots of different flavours to enjoy too so you can mix it up!

Beth x View attachment 33145
Thank you Beth. I will give that a try. I'm always so hungry in the morning so that would be ideal if it's filling x

Audrey85

No problem at all! I am too - in fact I am always peckish to be honest with you aha.

Below is a picture of my breakfast this morning... In the bowl is the vanilla yoghurt as pictured above and I just added a small portion or granola which is a low carb variant. A small banana (I tend to have them when they are less ripe.. meaning they have less concentrated sugar content) with a few berries and that fills me up until lunchtime with no snacking..

Not sure if it will help, but worth a try :) x
That looks yummy and thank you for the tip on the bananas. Will give it a go and let you know how I get on x

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you Beth. I will give that a try. I'm always so hungry in the morning so that would be ideal if it's filling x

I don't want to worry you unduly but there are 23g of carbohydrate in 100g of banana.
Not everybody can cope with fruit, it has naturally occurring sugars (fructose). As a general rule, small amounts of berries will be less likely to cause you problems.

Keep testing!

Reactions: •BethanyJayne•

Audrey85

I don't want to worry you unduly but there are 23g of carbohydrate in 100g of banana.
Not everybody can cope with fruit, it has naturally occurring sugars (fructose). As a general rule, small amounts of berries will be less likely to cause you problems.

Keep testing!
Thanks guys. I can tolerate a small banana as a snack and my diabetic nurse has okd that. It's mainly the milk and Weetabix I'm confused about.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d say plant based milk - soy, almond, hazelnut are good choices in terms of it being lactose free. But seeing that weetabix increases your BG to double figures, maybe consider more protein, low carb foods. Some eggs, sausages, berries, plain yogurts, cheeses, small amount of nut butters, anything meaty - dealers choice. I’m type 1, so weetabix does the same for my BG. I haven’t touched it since :)

Hey, just seen this and I completely get where Jim and others are coming from with the fruit side of things, it’s different for Different people and their diabetes... for me it seems to work.

But remove the banana and maybe just having the protein yoghurt & berries and it may be a better option like the other guys say!

Sorry to cause confusion x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I can tolerate a small banana as a snack and my diabetic nurse has okd that. It's mainly the milk and Weetabix I'm confused about.

It’s the carb content in weetabix that raises your blood sugar. I know T2 diabetics do well going low carb, high protein or high fat which gives a smoother blood control.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that bananas are full of sugar.. not good for anyone with T2.. they'll send your sugars through the roof whatever the nurse may say. Eggs and bacon far better for you, your baby and your blood sugars.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Both soya and almond milk have far less carbs than semi skimmed

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@audrey are you T1 or T2? I have had the yoghurt recommended by @.Bethanyjayne. above and found when I tested that they were ok. When I’m working I have full fat Greek yoghurt with berries for breakfast and when home it’s either a mushroom omelette or eggs, poached or scrambled, on 1 slice of high protein bread toasted.

Reactions: Fit725 and kitedoc